1. Schuckit MA. Alcohol-use disorders. Lancet 2009; 373:492-501.
2. Caputo F, Vignoli T, Grignaschi A, Cibin M, Addolorato G, Bernardi M. Pharmacological management of alcohol dependence: from mono-therapy to pharmacogenetics and beyond. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 2014; 24:181-191.
3. Rehm J, Mathers C, Popova S, Thavorncharoensap M, Teerawattananon Y, Patra J. Global burden of disease and injury and economic cost attributable to alcohol use and alcohol-use disorders. Lancet 2009; 373:2223-2233.
4. Friedmann PD. Alcohol use in adults. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:1655-1656.
5. Aubin HJ, Daeppen JB. Emerging pharmacotherapies for alcohol dependence: a systematic review focusing on reduction in consumption. Drug Alcohol Depend 2013; 133:15-29.
6. Kaplan HI, Sadock BJ. Alcohol related disorders. Kaplan & Sadock's Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry, 9th Edition. Lippincott Williams &Wilkins, Philadelphia, USA, 2009.
7. Miller WR, Walters ST, Bennett BE. How effective is alcoholism treatment in the Unites States? J. Stud. Alcohol. 62: 211-220 .
8. Maisel NC, Blodgett JC, Wilbourne PL, Humphreys K, Finney JW. Meta-analysis of naltrexone and acamprosate for treating alcohol use disorders: when are these medications most helpful? Addiction 2013; 108:275-293.
9. Miller PM, Book SW, Stewart SH. Medical treatment of alcohol dependence: a systematic review. Int J Psychiatry Med 2011; 42:227-266.
10. van Amsterdam J, van den Brink W. Reduced-risk drinking as a viable treatment goal in problematic alcohol use and alcohol dependence. J Psychopharmacol 2013; 27:987-997.
11. Marlatt GA. Harm reduction: Pragmatic strategies for managing high-risk behaviors. New York, USA: Guilford Press, 1998.
12. Denzin NK. The alcoholic society: addiction and recovery of fhe self. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers, 1993.
13. Ambrogne JA. Reduced-risk drinking as a treatment goal: what clinicians need to know. J Subst Abuse Treat 2002; 22:45-53.
14. Tucker JA. Changing addictive behavior: historical and contemporary perspectives. In Tucker JA, Donovan DM, Marlatt GA (Eds.), Changing addictive behavior: bridging clinical and public health strategies (pp. 3-44). New York: Guilford, 1999.
15. Luquiens A, Reynaud M, Aubin HJ. Is controlled drinking an acceptable goal in the treatment of alcohol dependence? A survey of French alcohol specialists. Alcohol Alcohol 2011; 46:586-591.
16. Heather N, Adamson SJ, Raistrick D, Slegg GP; UKATT Research Team. Initial preference for drinking goal in the treatment of alcohol problems: I. Baseline differences between abstinence and non-abstinence groups. Alcohol Alcohol 2010; 45:128-135.
17. Adamson SJ, Heather N, Morton V, Raistrick D; UKATT Research Team. Initial preference for drinking goal in the treatment of alcohol problems: II. Treatment outcomes. Alcohol Alcohol 2010; 45:136-142.
18. Mann K. Pharmacotherapy of alcohol dependence: a review of the clinical data. CNS Drugs 2004; 18:485-504.
19. Niciu MJ, Arias AJ. Targeted opioid receptor antagonists in the treatment of alcohol use disorders. CNS Drugs 2013; 27:777- 787.
20. EMA (2012) European Medicines Agency (EMA) recommends approval of medicine for reduction of alcohol consumption. Selincro (nalmefene) offers treatment in conjunction with psychosocial support. Available at http://www.ema.europa. eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/news_and_events/news/2012/12/ news_detail_001675.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac058004d5c1 (accessed 24 August 2014)
21. Swift RM. Naltrexone and nalmefene: any meaningful difference? Biol Psychiatry 2013; 73:700-701.
22. Garbutt JC. Efficacy and tolerability of naltrexone in the management of alcohol dependence. Curr Pharm Des 2010; 16:2091-2097.
23. Rosner S, Hackl-Herrwerth A, Leucht S, Vecchi S, Srisurapanont M, Soyka M. Opioid antagonists for alcohol dependence. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010; (12):CD001867.
24. Anton RF, Pettinati H, Zweben A, Kranzler HR, Johnson B, Bohn MJ, McCaul ME, Anthenelli R, Salloum I, Galloway G, Garbutt J, Swift R, Gastfriend D, Kallio A, Karhuvaara S. A multi-site dose ranging study of nalmefene in the treatment of alcohol dependence. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2004; 24:421-428.
25. Mason BJ, Ritvo EC, Morgan RO, Salvato FR, Goldberg G, Welch B, Mantero-Atienza E. A double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of oral nalmefene HCl for alcohol dependence. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 1994; 18:1162-1167.
26. Mason BJ, Salvato FR, Williams LD, Ritvo EC, Cutler RB. A double-blind, placebo-controlled study of oral nalmefene for alcohol dependence. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1999; 56:719-724.
27. Karhuvaara S, Simojoki K, Virta A, Rosberg M, Löyttyniemi E, Nurminen T, Kallio A, Mäkelä R. Targeted nalmefene with simple medical management in the treatment of heavy drinkers: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled multicenter study. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2007; 31:1179-1187.
28. Mann K, Bladström A, Torup L, Gual A, van den Brink W. Extending the treatment options in alcohol dependence: a randomized controlled study of as-needed nalmefene. Biol Psychiatry 2013; 73:706-713.
29. Gual A, He Y, Torup L, van den Brink W, Mann K; ESENSE 2 Study Group. A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, efficacy study of nalmefene, as-needed use, in patients with alcohol dependence. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 2013; 23:1432- 1442.
30. van den Brink W, Aubin HJ, Bladström A, Torup L, Gual A, Mann K. Efficacy of as-needed nalmefene in alcohol-dependent patients with at least a high drinking risk level: results from a subgroup analysis of two randomized controlled 6-month studies. Alcohol Alcohol 2013; 48:570-578.
31. Jonas DE, Amick HR, Feltner C, Bobashev G, Thomas K, Wines R, Kim MM, Shanahan E, Gass CE, Rowe CJ, Garbutt JC. Pharmacotherapy for adults with alcohol use disorders in outpatient settings: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2014; 311:1889-1900.
32. Myrick H, Li X, Randall PK, Henderson S, Voronin K, Anton RF. The effect of aripiprazole on cue-induced brain activation and drinking parameters in alcoholics. J Clin Psychopharmacol 2010; 30:365-372.
33. Pani PP, Trogu E, Pacini M, Maremmani I. Anticonvulsants for alcohol dependence. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014; 2:CD008544.
34. Blodgett JC, Del Re AC, Maisel NC, Finney JW. A meta-analysis of topiramate's effects for individuals with alcohol use disorders. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2014;38:1481-1488.
35. Keating GM. Nalmefene: a review of its use in the treatment of alcohol dependence. CNS Drugs 2013; 27:761-772.
36. Kranzler HR, Covault J, Feinn R, Armeli S, Tennen H, Arias AJ, Gelernter J, Pond T, Oncken C, Kampman KM. Topiramate treatment for heavy drinkers: moderation by a GRIK1 polymorphism. Am J Psychiatry 2014; 171:445-452.