Objective: The aim of this research is to determine the differences in childhood traumas and the probability of suicide in obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) patients with and without suicide attempts. Method: Sixty-five OCD patients without suicide attempt history and 39 OCD patients with a history of suicide attempts were included in the study. To measure the clinical variables The Childhood Trauma Questionnaire (CTQ), Suicide Probability Scale, Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale and Beck Depression Inventory were applied. Results: We found that the OCD group with suicide attempts was significantly higher than the OCD group without a suicide attempt due to emotional neglect, physical neglect, sexual abuse, and CTQ total scores. Aggression and sexual obsessions were higher in the OCD group who has attempted suicide. Obsessive-compulsive symptoms, depression and insight scores of OCD patients with suicide attempts were worse than OCD patients without suicide attempts. Also, correlations were observed between childhood traumas and suicidal probability scores. Conclusion: This study showed that childhood traumas may be a contributing factor to suicide probability and attempt in patients with OCD. Moreover, this study reveals that the current probability of suicide is a higher risk in OCD patients who had previously attempted suicide in the past.
1. Ruscio AM, Stein DJ, Chiu WT, Kessler RC. The epidemiology of obsessive-compulsive disorder in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Mol Psychiatry 2010; 15:53-63.
2. Mayerovitch JI, du Fort GG, Kakuma R, Bland RC, Newman SC, Pinard G. Treatment seeking for obsessive-compulsive disorder: role of obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms and comorbid psychiatric diagnoses. Compr Psychiatry 2003; 44:162-168.
3. Goodwin R, Koenen KC, Hellman F, Guardino M, Struening E. Helpseeking and access to mental health treatment for obsessivecompulsive disorder. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2002; 106:143-149.
4. Chong SA, Abdin E, Sherbourne C, Vaingankar J, Heng D, Yap M, et al. Treatment gap in common mental disorders: the Singapore perspective. Epidemiol Psychiatr Sci 2012; 21:195-202.
5. Nemeroff CB. Neurobiological consequences of childhood trauma. J Clin Psychiatry 2004; 65:18-28.
6. Breslau N. Epidemiologic studies of trauma, posttraumatic stress disorder, and other psychiatric disorders. Can J Psychiatry 2002; 47:923-929.
7. Mathews CA, Kaur N, Stein MB. Childhood trauma and obsessive-compulsive symptoms. Depress Anxiety 2008; 25:742- 751.
8. Carr CP, Martins CM, Stingel AM, Lemgruber VB, Juruena MF. The role of early life stress in adult psychiatric disorders: a systematic review according to childhood trauma subtypes. J Nerv Ment Dis 2013; 201:1007-1020.
9. Lochner C, du Toit PL, Zungu-Dirwayi N, Marais A, van Kradenburg J, Seedat S, et al. Childhood trauma in obsessivecompulsive disorder, trichotillomania, and controls. Depress Anxiety 2002; 15:66-68.
10. Khosravani V, Kamali Z, Jamaati Ardakani R, Samimi Ardestani M. The relation of childhood trauma to suicide ideation in patients suffering from obsessive-compulsive disorder with lifetime suicide attempts. Psychiatry Res 2017; 255:139-145.
11. Brander G, Pérez-Vigil A, Larsson H, Mataix-Cols D. Systematic review of environmental risk factors for obsessive-compulsive disorder: a proposed roadmap from association to causation. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 2016; 65:36-62.
12. Carpenter L, Chung MC. Childhood trauma in obsessive compulsive disorder: the roles of alexithymia and attachment. Psychol Psychother 2011; 84:367-388.
13. Caspi A, Vishne T, Sasson Y, Gross R, Livne A, Zohar J. Relationship between childhood sexual abuse and obsessivecompulsive disorder: case control study. Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci 2008; 45:177-182.
14. Teicher MH, Samson JA. Childhood maltreatment and psychopathology: A case for ecophenotypic variants as clinically and neurobiologically distinct subtypes. Am J Psychiatry 2013; 170:1114-1133.
15. Ludwig B, Roy B, Wang Q, Birur B, Dwivedi Y. The life span model of suicide and its neurobiological foundation. Front Neurosci 2017; 11:74.
16. Joiner TE, Rudd MD. Intensity and duration of suicidal crises vary as a function of previous suicide attempts and negative life events. J Consult Clin Psychol 2000; 68:909-916.
17. Angelakis I, Gooding P, Tarrier N, Panagioti M. Suicidality in obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD): a systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Psychol Rev 2015; 39:1-15.
18. Kamath P, Reddy YC, Kandavel T. Suicidal behavior in obsessivecompulsive disorder. J Clin Psychiatry 2007; 68:1741-1750.
19. Torres AR, de Abreu Ramos-Cerqueira AT, Torresan RC, de Souza Domingues M, Hercos AC, Guimarães AB. Prevalence and associated factors for suicidal ideation and behaviors in obsessive-compulsive disorder. CNS Spectr 2007; 12:771-778.
20. Dell’Osso B, Benatti B, Arici C, Palazzo C, Altamura AC, Hollander E, et al. Prevalence of suicide attempt and clinical characteristics of suicide attempters with obsessive-compulsive disorder: a report from the International College of ObsessiveCompulsive Spectrum Disorders (ICOCS). CNS Spectr 2018; 23:59-66.
21. Breet E, Kidd M, Mcgregor NW, Stein DJ, Lochner C. Suicide ideation and attempts in obsessive-compulsive disorder. Ann Clin Psychiatry 2019; 31:192-199.
22. Goodman WK, Price LH, Rasmussen SA, Mazure C, Fleischmann RL, Hill CL, et al. The Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale. I. Development, use, and reliability. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1989; 46:1006-1011.
23. Tek C, Ulug B, Rezaki BG, Tanriverdi N, Mercan S, Demir B, et al. Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale and US National Institute of Mental Health Global Obsessive Compulsive Scale in Turkish: reliability and validity. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1995; 91:410-413.
24. Matsunaga H, Kiriike N, Matsui T, Oya K, Iwasaki Y, Koshimune K, et al. Obsessive-compulsive disorder with poor insight. Compr Psychiatry 2002; 43:150-157.
25. Beck AT, Ward CH, Mendelson M, Mock J, Erbaugh J. An ınventory for measuring depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1961; 4:561-571.
26. Bernstein DP, Fink L, Handelsman L, Foote J, Lovejoy M, Wenzel K, et al. Initial reliability and validity of a new retrospective measure of child abuse and neglect. Am J Psychiatry 1994; 151:1132-1136.
27. Sar V, Ozturk E, Ikikardes E. Validity and reliability of the Turkish version of Childhood Trauma Questionnaire. Turkiye Klinikleri J Med Sci 2012; 32:1054-1063.
28. Cull JG, Gill WS. Suicide probability scale. Western Psychological Services 1989; 12031:1997-2005.
29. Atli Z, Eskin M, Dereboy C. The validity and the reliliability of Suicide Probability Scale (SPS) in clinical sample. J Clin Psy 2009; 12:111-124.
30. Ay R, Erbay LG. Relationship between childhood trauma and suicide probability in obsessive-compulsive disorder. Psychiatry Res 2018; 261:132-136.
31. Daray FM, Rojas SM, Bridges AJ, Badour CL, Grendas L, Rodante D, et al. The independent effects of child sexual abuse and impulsivity on lifetime suicide attempts among female patients. Child Abuse Negl 2016; 58:91-98.
32. Wang YR, Sun JW, Lin PZ, Zhang HH, Mu GX, Cao FL. Suicidality among young adults: Unique and cumulative roles of 14 different adverse childhood experiences. Child Abuse Negl 2019; 98:104183.
33. Paul E, Ortin A. Correlates of suicidal ideation and self-harm in early childhood in a cohort at risk for child abuse and neglect. Arch Suicide Res 2019; 23:134-150.
34. Harris EC, Barraclough B. Suicide as an outcome for mental disorders. A meta-analysis. Br J Psychiatry 1997; 170:205-228.
35. Fernández de la Cruz L, Rydell M, Runeson B, D’Onofrio BM, Brander G, Rück C, et al. Suicide in obsessive-compulsive disorder: a population-based study of 36 788 Swedish patients. Mol Psychiatry 2017; 22:1626-1632.
36. De Berardis D, Serroni N, Campanella D, Rapini G, Olivieri L, Feliziani B, et al. Alexithymia, responsibility attitudes and suicide ideation among outpatients with obsessive-compulsive disorder: an exploratory study. Compr Psychiatry 2015; 58:82-87.
37. Gupta G, Avasthi A, Grover S, Singh SM. Factors associated with suicidal ideations and suicidal attempts in patients with obsessive compulsive disorder. Asian J Psychiatr 2014; 12:140-146.
38. Torres AR, Ramos-Cerqueira AT, Ferrão YA, Fontenelle LF, do Rosário MC, Miguel EC. Suicidality in obsessive-compulsive disorder: prevalence and relation to symptom dimensions and comorbid conditions. J Clin Psychiatry 2011; 72:17-26.
39. Velloso P, Piccinato C, Ferrão Y, Aliende Perin E, Cesar R, Fontenelle L, et al. The suicidality continuum in a large sample of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) patients. Eur Psychiatry 2016; 38:1-7.
40. Posner K, Brown GK, Stanley B, Brent DA, Yershova KV, Oquendo MA, et al. The Columbia-Suicide Severity Rating Scale: initial validity and internal consistency findings from three multisite studies with adolescents and adults. Am J Psychiatry 2011; 168:1266-1277.