Özel Öğrenme Güçlüğü Tanısı Olan Çocuklarının Gelişim ve Tanı Sürecine İlişkin Ebeveynlerin Deneyimlerinin Derinlemesine İncelenmesi
Bu araştırmada özel öğrenme güçlüğü tanılı çocuğu olan ebeveynlerin deneyimlerinden yola çıkılarak çocuklarının gelişimsel süreçlerine, tanılama süreçlerine ve ihtiyaçlarına yönelik derinlemesine incelemeler yapmak ve bu süreçlerde hangi değişkenlerin rol oynayabileceğine ilişkin hipotezler geliştirmek amaçlanmaktadır. Bu araştırma nitel araştırma yöntemiyle yürütülmüştür. Araştırmanın çalışma grubu, tipik örnekleme yöntemi kullanılarak oluşturulmuştur. Çalışma grubu, özel öğrenme güçlüğü tanısı almış ve kaynaştırma uygulamaları kapsamında eğitim gören 12 öğrencinin ebeveynlerinden oluşmaktadır. Veri toplama aracı olarak araştırmacılar tarafından yarı yapılandırılmış görüşme formu geliştirilmiştir. Yapılan görüşmeler sonucunda çözümlenen ses kayıtlarının içerik analizi yapılmıştır. Araştırma kapsamında yapılan görüşmelerden elde edilen verilerin üretilmesi sonucunda “Gelişimsel Süreç, Sosyal İlişkiler, Tanı Alma Süreci ve Güçlü ve Zayıf Yönler” olmak üzere dört ana tema ortaya çıkmıştır. Ebeveynler çocuklarının okul öncesi dönemde öz bakım becerileri, motor gelişim, sosyal gelişim, bilişsel gelişim ve dil gelişimlerinde yaşıtlarına kıyasla güçlükler yaşadığını ifade etmiştir. Ebeveynlerin ödev sürecinde çocuklarındaki gelişimsel gecikmeleri fark ettikleri ve öğretmenlerin hem okul öncesi hem de okul dönemindeki bilgi düzeylerinin düşüklüğüne dikkat çektikleri görülmektedir. Ebeveynlerin çocuklarının başta dil gelişimi olmak üzere tüm gelişim alanlarında okul öncesi dönemden itibaren gelişimsel ihtiyaçlarını fark ettikleri görülmüştür. Ebeveynler, çocuklarının sıklıkla sosyal ilişkilerde yaşadıkları güçlüklere dikkat çekmiştir.
An In-Depth Investigation of Parents' Experiences about the Developmental and Diagnosis Process of Children with Specific Learning
This study examines the developmental processes, diagnosis processes, and needs of children with specific learning disabilities based on their parents' experiences. The research was conducted with a qualitative research methodology. The study group in the research was formed by the typical sampling method. The study group comprises the parents of 12 students with specific learning disabilities educated in mainstream classrooms. The researchers developed a semi-structured interview form in the context of literature. Content analysis of the transcribed voice recordings was made. As a result, four main themes emerged “Developmental Process, Social Relations, Diagnosis Process, and Strengths and Weaknesses.” The parents have difficulties in their children's self-care skills, motor development, social development, cognitive development, and language development compared to their peers in preschool. The parents noticed their children's development needs during the homework process and pointed out the low level of knowledge of the teachers in both preschool and school periods. It was stated that the children had developmental needs in all developmental areas, especially language development in the preschool period. Also, parents expressed that their children have difficulties with often drawing attention to the difficulties experienced by their children in social relations.
- Altındağ-Kumaş, Ö., Delimehmet-Dada, Ş., & Yıkmış, A. (2019). The relationship between verbal problem solving and reading comprehension skills of student with and with-out learning disabilities. Mersin University Journal of The Faculty of Education, 15(2), 542–554. https://doi.org/10.17860/mersinefd.474803
- Altun, T., & Uzuner, F. G. (2016). Views of primary school teachers about education of students with specific learning difficulties. The Journal of Academic Social Science Studies, 44(April), 33–49. https://doi.org/10.9761/JASSS3366
- American Psychiatric Association (APA). (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM–5) (5th ed.). American Psychiatric Organization.
- Araz-Altay, M., & Görker, I. (2018). Assessment of psychiatric comorbidity and WISC-R profiles in cases diagnosed with specific learning disorder according to DSM-5 criteria. Arch Neuropsychiatry, 55, 127–134. https://doi.org/10.5152/npa.2017.18123
- Aunio, P., Korhonen, J., Ragpot, L., Törmänen, M., & Henning, E. (2021). An early numeracy intervention for first-graders at risk for mathematical learning difficulties. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 55, 252–262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecresq.2020.12.002
- Avşaroğlu, S., & Gilik, A. (2017). In this research, hopelessness levels according to some variables and anxiety states of parents who have special needs children were examined. Elementary Education Online, 16(3), 1022–1035. https://doi.org/10.17051/ilkonline.2017.330239
- Aydın, S. (2017). Educational and administrative inadequacy that are lived in special education institutes and their solution offers [Unpublished master’s thesis]. İstanbul Sabahattin Zaim University.
- Balcı, E. (2019). Teachers' opinions about dyslexia and the challenges they face. Ege Journal of Education, 20(1), 162–179. https://doi.org/10.12984/egeefd.453922
- Baltacı, U. B. (2017). Investigation of state anger-anger expression and self-efficacy perception of secondary school students with and without learning disability [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Selçuk University.
- Birol, Z. N., & Aksoy-Zor, E. (2018). The views of the primary school teachers regarding the problems they have with the students who have been diagnosed with special learning difficulties. Gazi University Journal of Gazi Education Faculty, 38(3), 887–918. https://doi.org/10.17152/gefad.400054
- Bozkurt, F. (2009). Describing the diagnosis process of children with mental retardation [Unpublished doctoral dissertation]. Anadolu University.
- Büyükçakmak, Ö. (2015). The comparison of the expressed emotions and anxiety levels of parents whose children had been diagnosed specific learning disability and hadn't been diagnosed specific learning disability [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Üsküdar University.
- Çeliktürk-Sezgin, Z., & Akyol, H. (2015). Improving reading skills of fourth grade elementary student who has reading disability. Turkish Journal of Education, 4(2), 4–16. https://doi.org/10.19128/turje.181115
- Chordia, S. L., Thandapani, K., & Arunagirinathan, A. (2020). Children ‘at risk’ of developing specific learning disability in primary schools. The Indian Journal of Pediatrics, 87(2), 94–98. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12098-019-03130-z
- Chu, F. W., vanMarle, K., & Geary, D. C. (2013). Quantitative deficits of preschool children at risk for mathematical learning disability. Frontiers in Psychology, 4(MAY), 1–10. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00195
- Çimen, A. (2019). Evaluation of articulation and Stroop TBAG form test results on elementary school children with specific learning disability [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Ankara Yıldırım Beyazıt University.
- Cin, F. M., Aslan Aydın, M., & Arı, E. (2017). Examining burnout levels of mentally disabled children’s parents. Istanbul Commerce University Journal of Social Sciences, 16(31), 19–32.
- Çıkılı, Y., Deniz, S., & Kaya, H. B. (2019). Effects on correcting writing mistakes of students with special learning disability of vertical writing studies. OPUS- International Journal of Society Researches, 11(18), 501–529. https://doi.org/10.26466/opus.549544
- Çocuklar için Özel Gereksinim Değerlendirmesi Hakkında Yönetmelik [Regulation on Special Needs Assessment for Children]. (2019). T.C. Resmi Gazete, (30692), 20 Şubat 2019, 1-285. https://www.resmigazete.gov.tr/eskiler/2019/02/20190220-1.htm
- Çoğaltay, N., & Çetin, İ. (2020). The classroom teachers’ competencies regarding to special learning disabilities: A qualitative research. Academia Journal of Educational Research, 5(1), 126–140.
- Coşkun, G. N., Akkin-Gürbüz, H. G., Çeri, V., & Doğangün, B. (2018). Psychiatric comorbidities in children with specific learning disability. Alpha Psychiatry, 19(1), 87–94. https://doi.org/10.5455/apd.262350
- Creswell, J. W. (2005). Educational research: Planning conducting and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research (2nd ed.). Pearson Ed. Inc.
- Daşbaşı, M. (2022). The comparative examination of the early symptoms of learning disability in children with typical development and developmental language disorder) [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Anadolu University.
- De Clercq-Quaegebeur, M., Casalis, S., Vilette, B., Lemaitre, M. P., & Vallée, L. (2018). Arithmetic abilities in children with developmental dyslexia: Performance on French ZAREKI-R test. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 51(3), 236–249. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022219417690355
- Demirel-Aksoy, E. (2016). Private school age children with learning disabilities, investigation of auditory function [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Başkent University.
- Doğan, H. (2012). Analyzing the effect of early intervention educational program applied to 5–6-year-old children carrying special learning difficulties risk [Unpublished doctoral dissertation]. Marmara University.
- Doğan, H. (2018). Özgül öğrenme güçlüğü gösteren çocuklar. N. Aral & F. Gürsoy (Eds.), Özel gereksinimli çocuklar ve eğitimleri: Özel gereksinimli çocuklar içinde (ss. 46–65). Hedef CS Basın Yayın.
- Eklund, K., Torppa, M., Sulkunen, S., Niemi, P., & Ahonen, T. (2018). Early cognitive predictors of PISA reading in children with and without family risk for dyslexia. Learning and Individual Differences, 64(October), 94–103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lindif.2018.04.012
- Finke, E. H., Drager, K. D. R., & Ash, S. (2010). Pediatricians’ perspectives on identification and diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Early Childhood Research, 8(254), 254–268. https://doi.org/10.1177/1476718X10366773
- Fırat, T., & Koçak, D. (2018). Investigating the opinions of class teachers on the concept of learning difficulty. Abant İzzet Baysal University Journal of the Faculty of Education, 18(2), 915–931. https://doi.org/10.17240/aibuefd.2018..-431461
- Gallagher, S., Pilch, M., & Hannigan, A. (2018). Prior depressive symptoms and persistent child problem behaviors predict future depression in parents of children with developmental disabilities: The growing up in Ireland cohort study. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 80(September), 170–179. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2018.07.001
- Gever, A. (2017). Determination of levels of knowledge of discretion of primary and secondary
- Göksoy, S., & Öksüz, K. (2019). Problems that teachers working in guidance research centers experience in the process of educational identification and suggested solution. Diyalektolog Ulusal Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 20, 65–80. https://doi.org/10.22464/diyalektolog.282
- Görgü, E. (2017). Impact of psychological group counseling with children diagnosed with specific learning difficulty on their depression and anxiety levels. Turkish Studies, 12(33), 197–212. https://doi.org/10.7827/TurkishStudies.12703
- Görgün, B., & Melekoğlu, M. A. (2019). Development of a reading support program for students with specific learning disabilities to improve reading fluency and comprehension skills. Elementary Education Online, 18(2), 698–713. https://doi.org/10.17051/ilkonline.2019.562034
- Graham, S., Hebert, M., Fishman, E., Ray, A. B., & Rouse, A. G. (2020). Do children classified with specific language impairment have a learning disability in writing? A meta-analysis. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 53(4), 292–310. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022219420917338
- Gül, H., Yürümez, E., Gül, A., Kılıç, H. T., & Günay-Ay, M. (2016). The misinterpretations and stigmatization of teachers on spesicif learning disorders: A multi-center study. Ortadoğu Medical Journal, 8(2), 76–82. https://eds.s.ebscohost.com/eds/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?vid=0&sid=df4619d2-29e6-4d15-aa26-d3c0daf13eb5%40redis
- Güngörmüş-Özkardeş, O. (2013). Türkiye’de özel öğrenme güçlüğüne ilişkin yapılan araştırmaların betimsel analizi. Boğaziçi University Journal of Education, 30(2), 123–153. https://dergipark.org.tr/en/download/article-file/324187
- Gür, G. (2013). The importance of early identification of dyslectic individuals studying and comparison on applications in the country and abroad on dyslexia education. [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Çukurova University.
- Heys, M., Lakhanpaul, M., Allaham, S., Manikam, L., Owugha, J., Oulton, K., … Kuper, H. (2020). Community-based family and carer-support programmes for children with disabilities. Pediatrics and Child Health (United Kingdom), 30(5), 180–185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paed.2020.02.004
- Huettig, F., Lachmann, T., Reis, A., & Petersson, K. M. (2018). Distinguishing cause from effect–many deficits associated with developmental dyslexia may be a consequence of reduced and suboptimal reading experience. Language, Cognition and Neuroscience, 33(3), 333–350. https://doi.org/10.1080/23273798.2017.1348528
- İzoğlu-Tok, A., & Doğan, Ö. (2022). Evaluation of the Diagnostic Process of Children with Learning Disabilities in the Context of Regulation and Decree. Ankara University Faculty of Educational Sciences Journal of Special Education, 23(2), 319–343. https://doi.org/10.21565/ozelegitimdergisi.800586
- İzoğlu-Tok, A., Bozkurt-Yükçü, Ş. Kaymaz, Ç. Güngör, İ. & Metin, N. (2021). Integration from the perspective of children with special needs: A phenomenological study. The Journal of Social Sciences, 53(8), 407–430. http://dx.doi.org/10.29228/SOBIDER.52147
- Kabiyea, F., & Manor-Binyamini, I. (2019). The relationship between stress and stigma, somatization and parental self-efficacy among fathers of adolescents with developmental disabilities in the Bedouin community in Israel. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 90(March), 31–40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2019.04.004
- Karakaş, S., Ergen, G., Bakar, E. E., & Doğutepe, E. (2017) Özgül öğrenme bozukluğu: Genişletilmiş Nöropsikometri Bataryası. Eğitim Yayınevi.
- Karakoç, K. (2020). Assessment of Suprathreshold Auditory Processing Skills in Children with Specific Learning Disorder [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Hacettepe University.
- Kishore, T. M., Maru, R., P. S., S., Kumar, D., Sagar, J. K. V., Jacob, P., & Murugappan, N. P. (2021). Specific learning disability in the context of current diagnostic systems and policies in India: Implications for assessment and certification. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 55(2021), 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajp.2020.102506
- Kılıç, M. H. (2020). Özel eğitim kurumlarında görev yapan öğretmenlerin karşılaştıkları sorunlar (Merkezefendi ve Pamukkale ilçe örneği) [Master's project, Pamukkale University]. http://acikerisim.pau.edu.tr/xmlui/bitstream/handle/11499/35118/M.Hakan%20KILI%C3%87%20Proje.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
- Kodan, H. (2016). Improving hand-writing legibility of a third-class student with writing difficulty: Action research. The Journal of Turkish Social Research, 20(2), 523–539.
- Kumbasar, A. (2016). The examination of social support perceptions and burnout and resiliency levels of families with and without hearing impaired children [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Hacettepe University.
- Kuruyer, H. G., & Çakıroğlu, A. (2017). Primary school teachers’ opinions and practices in educational evaluation and intervention in process of specific learning difficulties. International Periodical for the Languages, Literature and History of Turkish or Turkic, 12(28), 539–555. https://doi.org/10.7827/TurkishStudies.12494
- Lincoln, Y. S., & Guba, E. G. (2013). The constructivist credo. Left Coast Press.
- Malterud, K., Siersma, V. D. & Guassora, A. D. (2016). Sample size in qualitative interview studies: Guided by information power. Qualitative Health Research, 16(13), 1753–1760. https://doi.org/10.1177/1049732315617444
- Mammarella, I. C., Caviola, S., Giofrè, D., & Szűcs, D. (2018). The underlying structure of visuospatial working memory in children with mathematical learning disability. British Journal of Developmental Psychology, 36(2), 220–235. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjdp.12202
- Melekoğlu, M. (2017). Özel öğrenme güçlüğünün nedenleri ve özellikleri. M. A. Melekoğlu, U. Sak (Ed.). Özel öğrenme güçlüğü ve özel yetenek içinde (pp. 24-52). Pegem Akademi Yayıncılık.
- Melekoğlu, M. A., Erden, H. G., & Çakıroğlu, O. (2021). Oral reading skills and comprehension test-II (SOBAT®-II): Assessment of reading fluency and comprehension of Turkish students with specific learning disabilities. South African Journal of Education, 41(1). https://doi.org/10.15700/saje.v41n1a1880
- Menon, V. (2016). Working memory in children’s math learning and its disruption in dyscalculia. Current Opinion in Behavioral Sciences, 10, 125–132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cobeha.2016.05.014
- Millî Eğitim Bakanlığı [Ministry of National Education]. (2017). Özel eğitim ve rehberlik hizmetleri [Special education and guidance services]. http://adana.meb.gov.tr/www/ozel-egitim-ve-rehberlik- hizmetleri/icerik/1415
- Millî Eğitim Bakanlığı [Ministry of National Education]. (2020). Rehberlik ve Araştırma Merkezi Yönergesi [Guidance and Research Center Directive]. http://orgm.meb.gov.tr/meb_iys_dosyalar/2020_08/31230315_RAM_YONERGESY.pdf
- National Joint Committee on Learning Disabilities [NJCLD]. (1994). Secondary to postsecondary education transition planning for students with learning disabilities. https://www.asha.org/policy/rp1994-00133/
- Neophytou, P. (2018). The Cypriot preschool teachers’ and parents’ perceptions and attitudes toward the value and contribution of the developed assessment instrument for the early identification and intervention for students at risk to present learning disabilities [Unpublished doctoral dissertation]. Saint Louis University.
- Özat, N. E. (2010). The impact of Frostig visual perception training program on dyslexic children [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Abant İzzet Baysal University.
- Özel Eğitim Hizmetleri Yönetmeliği [Special Education Services Regulation]. (2018). T. C. Resmi Gazete, (30471), 7 Temmuz 2018, 1–21.
- Özyürek, Ö. (2019). A comparative study of children with specific learning disorder: Symptom severity, perception of parenting styles, parental stress, competence and homework situation [Unpublished master’s thesis]. Hacettepe University.
- Patton, M. Q. (2014). Qualitative evaluation and research methods (3rd ed.). SAGE.
- Peng, P., & Fuchs, D. (2016). A meta-analysis of working memory deficits in children with learning difficulties: Is there a difference between verbal domain and numerical domain? Journal of Learning Disabilities, 49(1), 3–20. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022219414521667
- Quiroga Bernardos, C., López Gómez, S., Iglesias Souto, P. M., Rivas Torres, R. M., & Taboada Ares, E. M. (2022). The detection of early reading performance and its relationship with biopsychosocial risk factors in the study of learning difficulties. European Journal of Investigation in Health, Psychology and Education, 12(8), 1205–1219. https://doi.org/10.3390/ejihpe12080084
- Sadan, A. (2018). Determining the expectations of the teachers who work in special education and rehabilitation centers from the guidance and research centers. International Journal of New Approaches in Special Education, 1(1), 66–89.
- Sakellariou, M., Strati, P., & Mitsi, P. (2020). Tackling learning difficulties with the art of dance and movement in preschool age in the Greek school. International Research in Higher Education, 5(1), 1–8. https://doi.org/10.5430/irhe.v5n1p1
- Sakız, H., & Baş, G. (2019). Determining the quality of life of children with learning disabilities and their parents. Ankara University Faculty of Educational Sciences Journal of Special Education, 20(1), 53–72. https://doi.org/10.21565/ozelegitimdergisi.392308
- school directors [Master's project, Pamukkale University]. http://acikerisim.pau.edu.tr/xmlui/bitstream/handle/11499/1651/Abdurahman%20Gever.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
- Shamir, A., Segal-Drori, O., & Goren, I. (2018). Educational electronic book activity supports language retention among children at risk for learning disabilities. Education and Information Technologies, 23(3), 1231–1252. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10639-017-9653-7
- Sivrikaya, T., & Yıkmış, A. (2016). The instructional process requirements of special education graduate and non-graduate teachers working in special education classes. Abant İzzet Baysal University Journal of the Faculty of Education, 16(4), 1984–2001. https://dergipark.org.tr/tr/pub/aibuefd/issue/28550/304607
- Strauss, A. & Corbin, J. (1990). Basics of qualitative research grounded theory procedures and techniques. Sage Publications.
- Tercan, H. & Yıldız-Bıçakçı, M. (2018). Mothers who children with specific learning difficulties views on children pre-diagnostics developmental characteristics. The Journal of Academic Social Science Studies, 68 (Summer I), 581–591. http://dx.doi.org/10.9761/JASSS7557.
- Turgut-Turan, S., Erdoğan-Bakar, Erden, G., & Karakaş, S. (2016). Using neuropsychometric measurements in the differential diagnosis of specific learning disability. Archives of Neuropsychiatry, 53(2), 144–151. https://doi.org/10.5152/npa.2015.10024
- Üdücü, E. (2019). Difference between internet addiction levels of 10-16 years old students with special learning disabilities and with have no disabilities [Unpublished master’s thesis]. İstanbul Gelişim University.
- Urfalı Dadandı, P., Dadandı, İ., Avcı, S., & Şahin, M. (2016). School counselors’ thoughts about psychosocial problems and guidance needs of students with learning disabilities. Journal of Human Sciences, 13(3), 6038–6049. https://doi.org/10.14687/jhs.v13i3.4277
- van Viersen, S., de Bree, E. H., Zee, M., Maassen, B., van der Leij, A., & de Jong, P. F. (2018). Pathways into literacy: The role of early oral language abilities and family risk for dyslexia. Psychological Science, 29(3), 418–428. https://doi.org/10.1177/0956797617736886
- World Health Organization. (2019). International classification of diseases. https://icd.who.int/browse10/2019/en
- Yüksel, P., & Yıldırım, S. (2015). Theoretical frameworks, methods, and procedures for conducting phenomenological studies in educational settings. Turkish Online Journal of Qualitative Inquiry, 6(1), 1–20. https://doi.org/10.17569/tojqi.59813
|| İzoglu Tok, A.
, Yıldız, E.
, Kaymaz, Ç.
, Değirmenci, G. Y.
& Şahin, S.
An In-Depth Investigation of Parents' Experiences about the Developmental and Diagnosis Process of Children with Specific Learning
Cukurova University Faculty of Education Journal
, 52 (2) ,