Local and systemic side effects of the coronanovac vaccine
Local and systemic side effects of the coronanovac vaccine
Objective: Vaccines are biological products that provide protection against diseases by stimulating the immune system. Our aim in this study is to examine local and systemic side effects after inactivated coronavirus vaccination. In addition, when these side effects started, how long they lasted and their effect on daily life were evaluated. Methods: 224 healthcare workers who met the study criteria and were vaccinated against coronavirus in Adana City Training and Research Hospital were included in the study. A questionnaire prepared by us was filled in for these patients in which we inquired about the local and systemic side effects of the vaccine, the onset of side effects, their duration, whether they affect daily life, the need for drug use, and some demographic data. The survey results were evaluated with the SPSS statistical program. Local and systemic side effects were evaluated according to age, gender, allergy status, onset time, duration of effect, effect on daily life, and use of medical treatment. Results: At least one side effect was observed in 73.2% of 224 patients, while no side effects were observed in 26.8%. Being under the age of 35, being female, and being allergic increased the side effects (p:0.0027, p:0.001, p.0.031). In the logistic regression analysis, it was seen that being a woman was more effective (p.0.002). The most common local side effect was at the injection site pain was 76.2%, the most common systemic side effect was weakness 40.9%. 85.6% of local side effects and 70.4% of systemic side effects were seen in the first 24 hours. 71.3% of local side effects and 70.1% of systemic side effects lasted less than 24 hours. Conclusion: Inactivated covid-19 vaccine causes side effects in the majority of patients.In the otorhinolaryngology outpatient clinic, attention should be paid to the side effects of the coronovac vaccine in female patients under the age of 35 who have allergies.
- Chau C, Strope J, Figg W. COVID‐19 Clinical Diagnostics and Testing Technology. Pharmacotherapy: The Journal of Human Pharmacology and Drug Therapy. 2020;40(8):857-868.
- Warkentin T, Kaatz S. COVID-19 versus HIT hypercoagulability. Thrombosis Research. 2020;196:38-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2020.08.017
- Wong DKC, Gendeh HS, Thong HK, Lum SG, Gendeh BS, Saim Aet all.. A review of smell and taste dys-function in COVID-19 patients. Med J Malaysia. 2020 Sep;75(5):574-581. PMID: 32918429.
- Çalıca Utku A, Budak G, Karabay O, Güçlü E, Okan H, Vatan A. Main symptoms in patients presenting in the COVID-19 period. Scottish Medical Journal. 2020;65(4):127-132. https://doi.org/10.1177/0036933020949253
- Chi X, Yan R, Zhang J, Zhang G, Zhang Y, Hao M et al. A neutralizing human antibody binds to the N-terminal domain of the Spike protein of SARS-CoV-2. Science. 2020;369(6504):650-655. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abc6952
- Committee on Infectious Diseases, American Academy of Pediatrics. 1994 Red Book. 23rd ed, Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics, 1994.
- Drugs and Lactation Database (LactMed) [Internet]. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine (US); 2006–. COVID-19 vaccines. 2021 Mar 17. PMID: 33355732.
- Lurie N, Saville M, Hatchett R, Halton J. Developing Covid-19 Vaccines at Pandemic Speed. New England Journal of Medicine. 2020;382(21):1969-1973. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp2005630
- Gao Q, Bao L, Mao H, Wang L, Xu K, Yang M et al. Development of an inactivated vaccine candidate for SARS-CoV-2. Science. 2020;369(6499):77-81. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.abc1932
- Murdin A, Barreto L, Plotkin S. Inactivated poliovirus vaccine: past and present experience. Vaccine. 1996;14(8):735-746. https://doi.org/10.1016/0264-410x(95)00211-i
- Wang, H., Zhang, Y., Huang, B., Deng, W., Quan, Y., Wang, W., et all. (2020). Development of an Inacti-vated Vaccine Candidate, BBIBP-CorV, with Potent Protection against SARS-CoV-2. Cell, 182(3), 713–721.e9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2020.06.008
- Xia S, Duan K, Zhang Y, Zhao D, Zhang H, Xie Z et al. Effect of an Inactivated Vaccine Against SARS-CoV-2 on Safety and Immunogenicity Outcomes. JAMA. 2020;324(10):951. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2020.15543
- Palacios R, Patiño E, de Oliveira Piorelli R, Conde M, Batista A, Zeng G et al. Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Phase III Clinical Trial to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of treating Healthcare Pro-fessionals with the Adsorbed COVID-19 (Inactivated) Vaccine Manufactured by Sinovac – PROFISCOV: A structured summary of a study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials. 2020;21(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-020-04775-4
- Nguyen D, Masseoud F, Lu X, Scinicariello F, Sambhara S, Attanasio R. 17β-Estradiol restores antibody responses to an influenza vaccine in a postmenopausal mouse model. Vaccine. 2011;29(14):2515-2518. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2011.01.080
- Meo SA, Bukhari IA, Akram J, Meo AS, Klonoff DC. COVID-19 vaccines: comparison of biological, phar-macological characteristics and adverse effects of Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna Vaccines. Eur. Rev. Med. Pharmacol. Sci. 2021 Feb 1;25(3):1663-9. https://doi.org/10.26355/eurrev_202102_24877
- Fink A, Klein S. The evolution of greater humoral immunity in females than males: implications for vacci-ne efficacy. Current Opinion in Physiology. 2018;6:16-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cophys.2018.03.010
- Mitchell OR, Dave R, Bekker J, Brennan PA. Supraclavicular lymphadenopathy following COVID-19 vacci-nation: an increasing presentation to the two-week wait neck lump clinic? Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2021 Apr;59(3):384-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2021.02.002
- Repajic M, Lai X, Xu P, Liu A. Bell’s Palsy after second dose of Pfizer COVID-19 vaccination in a patient with history of recurrent Bell’s palsy. Brain, Behavior, & Immunity - Health. 2021;13:100217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbih.2021.100217
, Erkan S. O.
, Tuhanioğlu B.
, Yıldırım İ.
, Özdemir A. A.
Local and systemic side effects of the coronanovac vaccine.
Interdisciplinary Medical Journal.