Lazer ve Asit ile Pürüzlendirmenin Fissür Örtücünün Mikrosızıntısına Etkisi ve Klinik Değerlendirilmesi
Aim: The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical success and the sealing ability of a resin based fissure sealant that applied enamel surface which was etched with conventional phosphoric acid and Er:YAG laser at different energy levels.Materials and Methods: The study consisted of two parts; the evaluation of retention, marginal discoloration, marginal integrity and new caries formation for the clinical success after the treatment at 3, 6, 12 months; the evaluation of microleakage and penetration depth to fissures using dye penetration test. The study consists of 3 groups: Acid, MSP and QSP with 72 teeth in each group for in vivo part. A total of 45 impacted human third molar teeth were used for in vitro part. Data were analyzed using SPSS 21.Results: The relationship between the success rates of 12-month clinical follow-up of fissure sealants and age, gender, and localization was assessed and there was no statistically significant correlation. When all criteria were considered, the most successful group was QSP. All the groups demonstrated microleakage regardless of the surface preparation techniques. However, there was no statistically significant difference between the groups.Conclusion: It is considered to determine the optimal energy level of laser will increase the clinical success.
Clinical Evaluation and Microleakage of Fissure Sealant: Effect of Laser Etching vs Acid Etching
Aim: The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical success and the sealing ability of a resin based fissure sealant that applied enamel surface which was etched with conventional phosphoric acid and Er:YAG laser at different energy levels. Material and Methods: The study consisted of two parts; the evaluation of retention, marginal discoloration, marginal integrity and new caries formation for the clinical success after the treatment at 3, 6, 12 months; the evaluation of microleakage and penetration depth to fissures using dye penetration test. The in vivo part of the study was the surface preparation processes, 72 teeth in each group; It consists of 32% phosphoric Acid, Er:YAG laser- MSP (Medium Short Pulse) and Er:YAG laser- QSP (Quantum Square Pulse). A total of 45 impacted human third molar teeth were used for in vitro part. Data were analyzed using SPSS 21. Results: The relationship between the success rates of 12-month clinical follow-up of fissure sealants and age, gender, and localization was assessed and there was no statistically significant correlation. When all criteria were considered, the most successful group was QSP. All the groups demonstrated microleakage regardless of the surface preparation techniques. However, there was no statistically significant difference between the groups. Conclusion: It is considered to determine the optimal energy level of laser will increase the clinical success.
- 1. Lam A. Increase in Utilization Of Dental Sealants. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2008;9:81-7.
- 2. Subramaniam P, Konde S, Mandanna DK. Retention Of A Resin-Based Sealant And A Glass Ionomer Used As A Fissure Sealant: A Comparative Clinical Study. J In-dian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2008;26:114-20.
- 3. Beauchamp J, Caufield PW, Crall JJ, Donly K, Feigal R, Gooch B, Ismail A, Kohn W, Siegal M, Simonsen R. Evidence-Based Clinical Recommendations For The Use Of Pit-And-Fissure Sealants: A Report Of The American Dental Association Council On Scientific Affairs. J Am Dent Assoc. 2008;139:257-68.
- 4. Fejerskov O. Changing Paradigms In Concepts On Dental Caries: Consequences For Oral Health Care. Caries Res. 2004;38:182-91.
- 5. Cehreli SB, Gungor HC, Karabulut E. Er,Cr:YSGG Laser Pretreatment Of Primary Teeth For Bonded Fissure Sealant Application: A Quantitative Microleakage Study. J Adhes Dent. 2006;8:381-6.
- 6. Khan AA. The Permanent First Molar As An İndicator For Predicting Caries Activity. Int Dental J. 1994;44:623-7.
- 7. Pardi V, Sinhoreti MA, Pereira AC, Ambrosano GM, Meneghim MDE C. In Vitro Evaluation Of Microleak-age Of Different Materials Used As Pit-And-Fissure Sealants. Braz Dent J. 2006;17:49-52.
- 8. Griffin SO, Oong E, Kohn W, Vidakovic B, Gooch BF, Bader J et al. The Effectiveness Of Sealants in Manag-ing Caries Lesions. J Dent Res. 2008;87:169-74.
- 9. Cohen L, Sheiham A. The Use Of Pit And Fissure Seal-ants in The General Dental Service İn Great Britain And Northern Ireland. Br Dent J. 1988;165:50-3.
- 10. Simonsen RJ. Pit And Fissure Sealant: Review Of The Literature. Pediatr Dent. 2002;24:393-414.
- 11. Simonsen RJ. Retention And Effectiveness Of Dental Sealant After 15 Years. J Am Dent Assoc. 1991;122:34-42.
- 12. Bhatia M, Patel A, Shirol D. Evaluation Of Two Resin Based Fissure Sealants: A Comparative Clinical Study. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent. 2012;30:227-30.
- 13. Yazici AR, Karaman E, Baseren M, Tuncer D, Yazici E, Unluer S. Clinical Evaluation Of A Nanofilled Fissure Sealant Placed With Different Adhesive Systems: 24-Month Results. Oper Dent. 2009;34:642-7.
- 14. Garcia-Godoy F, Harris ON, Helm DM. Primary Pre-ventive Dentistry. In Harris ON, Godoy-Garcia F (ed), 6th edn. New Jersey, Pearson, 2009; pp 285-318.
- 15. Karandish M. The Efficiency Of Laser Application On The Enamel Surface: A Systematic Review. J Lasers Med Sci. 2014;5:108-14.
- 16. Lukac M, Primc NM, Pirnat S. Quantum Square Pulse Er:YAG Lasers For Fast And Precise Hard Dental Tis-sue Preparation. J LAHA. 2012;1:14–21.
- 17. Gutknecht N, Lukac M, Marincek M, Perhavec T, Kazic M. A Novel Quantum Square Pulse (QSP) Mode Erbium Dental Laser. J Laser Health Acad. 2011;1:15–21.
- 18. Lukac M, Marko M, Ladislav G. Super VSP Er:YAG Pulses For Fast And Precise Cavity Preparation. J Oral Laser Appl. 2004;4:171–3.
- 19. Grgurević J, Grgurević L, Miletić I, Karlović Z, Krmek SJ, Anić I. In Vitro Study Of The Variable Square Pulse Er:YAG Laser Cutting Efficacy For Apicectomy. Lasers Surg Med. 2005;36:347-50.
- 20. Gale MS, Darvell BW. Thermal cycling procedures for laboratory testing of dental restorations. J Dent. 1999;27:89-99.
- 21. Lavonius E, Kerosuo E, Kervanto-Seppälä S, Halttunen N, Vilkuna T, Pietilä I. A 13-Year Follow-Up Of A Comprehensive Program Of Fissure Sealing And Resealing İn Varkaus, Finland. Acta Odontol Scand. 2002;60:174-9.
- 22. Matalon S, Slutzky H, Mazor DY, Weiss EI. Surface Antibacterial Properties Of Fissure Sealants. Pediatr Dent. 2003;25:43-8.
- 23. De Luca-Fraga LR, Pimenta LA. Clinical Evaluation Of Glassionomer/ Resin-Based Hybrid Materials Used As Pit And Fissure Sealants. Quintessence In, 2001;32:463-8.
- 24. Rethman J. Trends in Preventive Care: Caries risk assessment and indications for sealants. J Am Dent Assoc. 2000;131 Suppl:8s-12s.
- 25. Celiberti P, Lussi A. Use Of A Self-Etching Adhesive On Previously Etched İntact Enamel And Its Effect On Sealant Microleakage And Tag Formation. J Dent. 2005;33:163–71.
- 26. Evans DJ, Matthews S, Pitts NB, Longbottom C, Nugent ZJ. A Clinical Evaluation Of An Er:YAG Laser For Dental Cavity Preparetion. Br Dent J. 18, 2000;8:677-9.
- 27. Simsek M, Yildiz E. Lasers In Pediatric Dentistry. Gaziantep Med J. 2014;20:113-9.
- 28. Dunn WJ, Davis JT, Bush AC. Shear Bond Strength And SEM Evaluation Of Composite Bonded To Er:YAG La-
ser-Prepared Dentin And Enamel. Dent Mater. 2005;21:616–24.
- 29. Gurgan S, Kiremitci A, Cakir FY, Gorucu J, Alpaslan T, Yazici E, Gutknecht N. Shear Bond Strength Of Com-posite Bonded To Er,Cr:YSGG Laser-Prepared Dentin. Photomed Laser Surg. 2008;26:495–500.
- 30. Marthaler TM. Changes in Dental Caries 1953-2003. Caries Res. 2004;38:173-81.
- 31. Firat E, Gurgan S, Gutknecht N. Microtensile Bond Strength Of An Etch And Rinse Adhesive To Enamel And Dentin After Er:YAG Laser Pretreatment With Dif-ferent Pulse Duration. Lasers Med Sci. 2012;27:15-21.
- 32. Welbury R, Raadal M, Lygidakis NA. European Acad-emy Of Paediatric Dentistry. EAPD Guidelines For The Use Of Pit And Fissure Sealants. Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2004;5:179-84.
- 33. Rushton VE, Horner K, Worthington HV. Factors İn-fluencing The Frequency Of Bitewing Radiography in General Dental Practice. Community Dent Oral Epi-demiol. 1996;24:272-6.
- 34. Dennison JB, Straffon LH, More FG. Evaluating Tooth Eruption On Sealant Efficacy. J Am Dent Assoc. 1990;121:610-4.
- 35. Feigal RJ, Donly KJ. The Use Of Pit And Fissure Seal-ants. Pediatr Dent. 2006;28:143-50.
- 36. Kumar G, Dhillon JK, Rehman F. A Comparative Eval-uation Of Retention Of Pit And Fissure Sealants Placed With Conventional Acid Etching And Er,Cr:YSGG Laser Etching: A Randomised Controlled Trial. Laser Ther.
- 37. Durmus B, Giray F, Peker S, Kargul B. Clinical Evalua-tion Of A Fissure Sealant Placed By Acid Etching Or Er:YAG Laser Combined With Acid Etching. Oral Health Prev Dent. 2017;15:157-62.
- 38. Shortall AC. Microleakage, Marginal Adaptation And Composite Resin Restorations. Br Dent J. 1982;153:223-7.
- 39. Güçlü ZA, Dönmez N, Tüzüner T, Odabaş ME, Hurt AP, Coleman NJ. The Impact Of Er:YAG Laser Enamel Conditioning On The Microleakage Of A New Hydro-philic Sealant--Ultraseal XT Hydro. Lasers Med Sci. 2016;31:705-11.
- 40. Memarpour M, Kianimanesh N, Shayeghi B. Enamel Pretreatment With Er:YAG Laser: Effects On The Mi-croleakage Of Fissure Sealant in Fluorosed Teeth. Restor Dent Endod. 2014;39:180-6.
, Fidancıoğlu Y. D.
Clinical Evaluation and Microleakage of Fissure Sealant: Effect of Laser Etching vs Acid Etching.
Necmettin Erbakan Üniversitesi Diş Hekimliği Dergisi.