EFFECT of GREEN TEA and Lactobacillus gasseri AGAINST OBESITY
Obesity is one of the most important health problems in our country and in the world. Overweight and obesity are related to more deaths worldwide than underweight and cause many chronic diseases. Most of the researchs conducted show that weight loss is the main goal of obesity treatment. Therefore, the production of foods that aims prevention of obesity has become an important issue today. Probiotic bacteria are microorganisms that have a positive effect on human health, are included in the list of GRAS (generally recognized as safe) and are dominant in the human intestine. It is widely used in many food products due to its beneficial effect on human health. Lactobacillus gasseri, a probiotic microorganism, has been determined to be effective against obesity by studies. In addition, it has been observed that green tea (Camelia sinensis), which is beneficial for human health and widely consumed, is also effective in loss weight. In this study, as a result of the research conducted, comprehensive information was given that Lactobacillus gasseri and green tea, which have beneficial effects for human health, have positive effects against obesity.
- 1. Tedik SE. Healthy life and role of nursing in the control of body weight. Turkish Journal of Diabetes and Obesity 2017; 2: 54-62.
- 2. Gökbunar R, Doğan A, Utkuseven A. Obezite ile mücadelede bir kamu politikası aracı olarak vergilerin değerlendirilmesi. Yönetim ve Ekonomi Dergisi 2015; 22(2): 581-602.
- 3. Türkiye Endokrinoloji ve Metabolizma Derneği. Obezite tanı ve tedavi kılavuzu. 8. Baskı. Ankara, Türkiye, 2019.
- 4. Altunkaynak BZ, Özbek E. Obezite: nedenleri ve tedavi seçenekleri. Van Tıp Dergisi 2006; 13(4):138-142.
- 5. Aslan M, Orhan N. Obezite tedavisine yardımcı olarak kullanılan doğal ürünler. Mised 2010; 23-24: 91-105.
- 6. Serrano JC, Cassanyé A, Portero-Otin M. Trends in Functional Food against Obesity. In: Valdez, B., Schorr, M. And Zlatev, R., eds. Scientific, Health and Social Aspects of the Food Industry. Croatia: In tech, 2012:279-293.
- 7. Şentürk E, Canberi HA, Aktop S, Şanlıbaba P. Bacillus Suşlarının Probiyotik Potansiyelleri. In: Halkman AK, Akpınar M, Kolcuoğlu G, ed., Türkiye 13. Gıda Kongresi Bildiri Özetleri. Ankara: Gıda Teknoloisi Derneği, 2020:257-267.
- 8. Akan E, Kınık Ö. Factors effecting probiotic viability during processing and storage of food. Celal Bayar University Journal of Science 2015;11(2):155-166.
- 9. Özer M, Özyurt G, Harsa ŞT. Effect of probiotics and prebiotics on gut-brain axis. Academic Food Journal 2019;17(2):269-280.
- 10. Salminen SJ, Gueimonde M, Isolauri E. Probiotics that modify disease risk. The Journal of Nutrition 2005;135(5):1294-1298.
- 11. Tripathi MK, Giri SK. Probiotic functional foods: Survival of probiotics during processing and storage. Journal of Functional Foods 2014; 9:225-241.
- 12. Kaya M. Synbiotic Yoghurt Production and Rheological, on Determination of Functional and Sensory Properties. Yıldız Technical University: Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences, Master’s Thesis Istanbul, Turkey 2015.
- 13. Kadooka Y, Sato M, Imaizumi K, Ogawa A, Ikuyama K, Akai Y, et. al. Regulation of abdominal adiposity by probiotics (Lactobacillus gasseri SBT2055) in adults with obese tendencies in a randomized controlled trial. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2010;64:636-643.
- 14. Arakawa K, Matsunaga K, Takihiro S, Moritoki A, Ryuto S, Kawai Y, et. al. Lactobacillus gasseri requires peptides, not proteins or free amino acids, for growth in milk. Journal of Dairy Science 2015;98(3):1593-1603.
- 15. Zang L, Shimada Y, Nakayama H, Katsuzaki H, Kim Y, Chu DC, et. al. Preventive effects of green tea extract against obesity development in zebrafish. Molecules 2021;26(9): 1-14.
- 16. Rains TM, Agarwal S, Maki KC. Antiobesity effects of green tea catechins: a mechanistic review. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 2011; 22:1-7.
- 17. İpar N. Total Oxidative Stress and Total Antioxidant Capacity in Patients with Exogenous Obesity and Potential Role of Add-on Probiotics. Eskişehir Osmangazi University: School of Medicine, Specialization Thesis, Eskişehir, Turkey 2012.
- 18. Hubbard VS. Defining overweight and obesity: what are the issues? The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2020;72(5):1067-1068.
- 19. World Health Organization, Obesity and Overweight. [date accessed: 15 April 2021]. Accessed Adress: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/obesity-and-overweight
- 20. Arslan N. Relationship between obesity and ıntestinal microbiota and pre- and probiotics usage in obesity. Beslenme ve Diyet Dergisi 2014;42(2):148-153.
- 21. Kuzu F. The role of intestinal microbiota in obesity, inculin resistance and diabetes. Journal of Biotechnology and Strategic Health Research 2017;1:68-80.
- 22. Durmaz B. Relationship between obesity and gut microbiota. Türk Hijyen ve Deneysel Biyoloji Dergisi 2019;76(3):353-360.
- 23. Kimura I, Ozawa K, Inoue D, Imamura T, Kimura K, Maeda T, et. al. The gut microbiota suppresses insulin-mediated fat accumulation via the short-chain fatty acid receptor GPR43. Nature Communications 2013;4(1829):1-12.
- 24. Barrett E, Ross RP, O'Toole PW, Fitzgerald GF, Stanton C. γ-Aminobutyric acid production by culturable bacteria from the human intestine. Journal of Applied Microbiology 2012;113(2): 411-417.
- 25. Song X, Wang L, Liu Y, Zhang X, Weng P, Liu L, et al. The gut microbiota–brain axis: Role of the gut microbial metabolites of dietary food in obesity. Food Research International 2022;153(110971):1-13.
- 26. Maria P, Evagelia S. Obesity disease. Health Science Journal 2009;3(3):132-138.
- 27. Wirtz VJ. Update on 2004 Background Paper, Background Paper 6.18 Obesity. Priority Medicines for Europe and the World "A Public Health Approach to Innovation. [date accessed: 2 October 2022]. Accessed Adress: https://vdocuments.mx/download/background-paper-618-obesity-world-health-organization-update-on-2004-background
- 28. Kunduracı M. The Effect of Probiotics in Weight Management. In: Yaman Ç, Son NE, eds. Beslenme Obezite ve Toplum Sağlığı. İstanbul, Turkey: Güven Plus Grup Danışmanlık A.Ş. Yayınları, 2019: 96-113.
- 29. Baltova K, Dimitrov Z. Probiotic and cultural characteristic of strain Lactobacillus gasseri 4/13 of human origin. Biotechnology and Biotechnological Equipment 2014;28(6):1084-1088.
- 30. Asan-Özüsağlam M, Günyaktı A. Characterization of some probiotic properties of Lactobacillus gasseri MA-1 from human milk. Eskişehir Technical University Journal of Science and Technology C- Life Sciences and Biotechnology 2020a;9(2):211-218.
- 31. Asan-Özüsağlam M, Günyaktı A. Investigation of lactobacillus gasseri ma-2 as probiotic candidate. Cumhuriyet Science Journal 2020b;41(1): 228-234.
- 32. Story EN. The effects of Green Tea and Epigallocatechin-3-gallate on the Growth of Probiotic Bacteria and LPS-induced Inflammation in Differentiated Human Colon Cancer (HT-29) Cells. The Graduate Faculty of North Carolina State University, Master’s Thesis, Raleigh, North Carolina 2011.
- 33. Selle K, Klaenhammer TR. Genomic and phenotypic evidence for probiotic influences of Lactobacillus gasseri on human health. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 2013;37(6):15-935.
- 34. Mahboubi M. Lactobacillus gasseri as a functional food and its role in obesity. International Journal of Medical Reviews 2019;6(2): 59-64.
- 35. Kang JH, Yun SI, Park HO. Effects of Lactobacillus gasseri BNR17 on body weight and adipose tissue mass in diet-induced overweight rats. The Journal of Microbiology 2010;48(5):712-714.
- 36. Cho BO, Choi J, Kang HJ, Che DN, Shin JY, Kim JS, et. al. Anti-obesity effects of a mixed extract containing Platycodon grandiflorum, Apium graveolens and green tea in high-fat-diet-induced obese mice. Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine 2020;19:2783-2791.
- 37. Chatterjee G, Das S, Das RS, Das AB. Development of green tea infused chocolate yoghurt and evaluation of its nutritive value and storage stability. Progress in Nutrition 2018;20(1):237-245.
- 38. Giritlioğlu N. Effect of Lactic Acid Fermentation on Phenolic Composition and Antioxidant Capacity of Caper Bud (Capparis spp.). Bursa Uludağ University: Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences, Master’s Thesis, Bursa, Turkey 2020.
- 39. Rahmani F, Gandomi H, Noori N, Faraki A, Farzaneh M. Microbial, physiochemical and functional properties of probiotic yogurt containing Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum enriched by green tea aqueous extract. Food Science and Nutrition 2021; 9:5536-554.
- 40. Marhamatizadeh MH, Ehsandoost E, Gholami P. The influence of green tea (Camellia sinensis L.) extract on characteristic of probiotic bacteria in milk and yoghurt during fermentation and refrigerated storage. International Journal of Farming and Allied Sciences 2013;2(17):599-606.
- 41. Çakmakçı S, Öz E, Çakıroğlu K, Polat A, Gülçin İ, Ilgaz Ş, et. al. Probiotic shelf life, antioxidant, sensory, physical and chemical properties of yogurts produced with Lactobacillus acidohilus and green tea powder. Kafkas Üniversitesi Veterinerlik Fakültesi Dergisi 2019;25(5):673-682.
- 42. Jeong CH, Ryu H, Zhang T, Lee CH, Seo HG, Han SG. Green tea powder supplementation enhances fermentation and antioxidant activity of set-type yogurt. Food Science and Biotechnology 2018;27(5):1419-1427.
- 43. Lim ES. Effect of green tea supplementation on probiotic potential, physico-chemical, and functional properties of yogurt. Korean Journal of Microbiology 2017;53(2):103-117.
- 44. Najgebauer-Lejko D. Effect of green tea supplementation on the microbiological, antioxidant, and sensory properties of probiotic milks. Dairy Science and Technology 2014;94: 327-339.
- 45. Sirotkin AV, Kolesarova A. The anti-obesity and health-promoting effects of tea and coffee. Physiological Research 2021;70(2):161-168.
- 46. Huang J, Wang Y, Xie Z, Zhou Y, Zhang Y, Wan X. The anti-obesity effects of green tea in human intervention and basic molecular studies. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2014;68:1075-1087.
- 47. Ünal G, Karagözlü C, Kınık Ö, Akan E, Akalın AS. Effect of supplementation with green and black tea on microbiological characteristics, antimikrobial and antioxidant activities of drinking yoghurt. Journal of Agricultural Sciences 2018;24(2):153-161.
- 48. Shalaby HS, Elhassaneen YA. Functional and health properties of yogurt supplemented with green tea or green coffee extracts and its effect on reducing obesity complications in rats. Alexandria Science Exchange Journal 2021;42(2): 559-571.
- 49. Liu Z, Chen Q, Zhang C, Ni L. Comparative study of the anti-obesity and gut microbiota modulation effects of green tea phenolics and their oxidation products in high-fat-induced obese mice. Food chemistry 2022;367(2022):130735.
- 50. Kwak J, Shin D. Association between green tea consumption and abdominal obesity risk in middle-aged Korean population: Findings from the Korean genome and epidemiology study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2022;19(5):2735.
- 51. Zhou DD, Mao QQ, Li BY, Saimaiti A, Huang SY, Xiong RG, et.al. Effects of different green teas on obesity and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease induced by a high-fat diet in mice. Frontiers in Nutrition 2022;9:929210.
- 52. Choi C, Han J, Son Y, Joo S, Kwon S, Lee YH. Green tea extract exhibits antidiabetic effects partly through regulating dipeptidyl peptidase-4 expression in adipose tissue. The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry 2023;111(2023):109173.
- 53. Macêdo APA, Gonçalves MDS, Barreto Medeiros JM, David JM, Villarreal CF, Macambira SG, et.al. Potential therapeutic effects of green tea on obese lipid profile-a systematic review. Nutrition and Health 2022;28(3):401-415.
- 54. Chen R, Lai X, Xiang L, Li Q, Sun L, Lai Z, et.al. Aged green tea reduces high-fat diet-induced fat accumulation and inflammation via activating the AMP-activated protein kinase signaling pathway. Food and Nutrition Research 2022;66:7923.
- 55. Sharma R, Diwan B, Singh BP, Kulshrestha S. Probiotic fermentation of polyphenols: potential sources of novel functional foods. Food Production, Processing and Nutrition 2022;4(21):1-16.
- 56. Lima WDL, Monteiro SS, Pasquali MADB. Study of fermentation strategies by Lactobacillus gasseri for the production of probiotic food using passion fruit juice combined with green tea as raw material. Foods 2022;11(10):1471.
- 57. Kang JH, Yun SI, Park MH, Park JH, Jeong SY, Park HO. Anti-obesity effect of Lactobacillus gasseri BNR17 in high-sucrose diet-induced obese mice. Plos One 2013;8(1):1-8.
- 58. Zhao L, Shen Y, Wang Y, Wang L, Zhang L, Zhao Z, et .al. Lactobacillus plantarum S9 alleviates lipid profile, insulin resistance, and inflammation in high-fat diet-induced metabolic syndrome rats. Scientific Reports 2022;12(1):1-10.
- 59. Leme LAFP, Rizzardi KF, Santos IB, Parisotto TM. Exploring the relationship between salivary levels of TNF-α, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus gasseri, obesity, and caries in early childhood. Pathogens 2022;11(5):579.
|| Çakır, E.
, Çoşkun, F.
& Çoşkun, Z. G.
EFFECT of GREEN TEA and Lactobacillus gasseri AGAINST OBESITY
International Anatolia Academic Online Journal Health Sciences
, 9 (2) ,