Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH) is an acquired clonal stem cell disease. Chronic renal f ailure (CRF) is defined as progressive deterioration in the regulation of fluid and electrolyte balance of the affected kidney due to a decrease in glomerular filtration rate resulting from various diseases. We also investigated the presence of PNH in foll ow-up patients diagnosed with end-stage renal failure (ESRD) of unknown etiology in this study. This study was carried out at the Yuzuncu Yil University in Van, Turkey. Sixteen patients with end-stage renal failure who had unknown etiology from a total of 143 patients were included in the study. The patients' age, gender, hemogram, biochemical parameters, and percentage of PNH clone were examined. PNH clone was analyzed by the Fluorescein Aerolysin method. Of the patients, 10 (62%) were female, 6 (38%) were male. Hemodialysis was performed in 15 patients (94%) as renal replacement therapy. Fourteen of the patients (88%) had anemia. LDH was elev ated in 6 patients (38%), and those with high LDH also suffered from anemia. PNH clone was negative for all patients as determined by FLAER analysis. A survey of the literature did not result in any study on the presence of paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinu ria in idiopathic chronic renal failure. This is the first such study with this focus. Based on review of the cases described in the literature , PNH should be considered in the differential diagnosis of renal failure cases which are unexplained and especia lly those accompanied by hemolysis findings.
1. Brodsky RA. Narrative review: Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria: The physiology of complement-related hemolytic anemia. Ann Intern Med 2008; 148: 587-595.
2. Bessler M, Mason PJ, Hillmen P, et al. Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH) is caused by somatic mutations in the PIG-A gene. EMBO Journal 1994; 13: 110-117.
3. Hillmen P, Richards SJ. Implications of recent insights into the pathophysiology of paroxysmal nocturnal haemoglobinuria. Br J Haematol 2000; 108: 470-479.
4. Rosse WF. Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria as a molecular disease. Medicine (Baltimore) 1997; 76: 63-93.
5. Socié G, Mary JY, de Gramont A, et al. Paroxysmal nocturnal haemoglobinuria: Longterm follow-up and prognostic factors. French Society of Haematology. Lancet 1996; 348: 573- 577.
6. Borowitz MJ, Craig FE, Digiuseppe JA, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and monitoring of paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria and related disorders by flow cytometry. Cytometry B Clin Cytom 2010; 78: 211-230.
7. Nair RK, Khaira A, Sharma A, Mahajan S, Dinda AK. Spectrum of renal involvement in paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria: Report of three cases and a brief review of the literature. Int Urol Nephrol 2008; 40: 471-475.
8. Clark DA, Butler SA, Braren V, Hartmann RC, Jenkins DE Jr. The kidneys in paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria. Blood 1981; 57: 83-89.
9. United States Reanl Data System. Incidence and prevelance of ESRD. Am J Kidney Dis 1998; 32: 38-49.
10. Türk Nefrology Derneği 2015 Registry Raporu (Turkish Society of Nephrology 2015 Registry Report).
11. Hillmen P, Lewis SM, Bessler M, Luzzatto L, Dacie JV. Natural history of paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria. N Engl J Med 1995; 333: 1253-1258.
12. Rubin H. Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria with renal failure. JAMA 1971; 215: 433-436.
13. Chow KM, Lai FM, Wang AY, Chan YL, Tang NL, Li PK. Reversible renal failure in paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria. Am J Kidney Dis 2001; 37: 17.
14. Braren V, Butler SA, Hartmann RC, Jenkins DE. Urologic manifestations of paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria. J Urol 1975; 114: 430-434.
15. Hillmen P, Elebute P, Kelly R, et al. Longterm effect of the complement inhibitor eculizumab on kidney function in patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria. American Journal of Hematology 2010; 85: 553-559.
16. Umut V, Bahriye P, Mehmet S, Mustafa Y. Chronic Renal Failure Secondary to Paroxismal Nocturnal Hemoglobinuria. International Journal of Hematology and Oncology 2008; 18: 175-179.
17. Sears DA, Anderson PR, Foy AL, Williams HL, Crosby WH. Al Urinary Iron Excretion and Renal Metabolism of Hemoglobin in Hemolytic Diseases. Blood 1966; 28: 708-725.
18. Tomizuka H, Hatake K, Kitagawa S, et al. Portal vein thrombosis in paroxysmal nocturnal haemoglobinuria. Acta Haematol. 1999; 101: 149- 152.