Respiratory allergies are currently on the rise and affect all age groups. Aeroallergens play a major role in the pathogenesis of respiratory allergic diseases, especially in asthma and allergic rhinitis. Skin prick tests and specific blood tests can b e used to safely ascertain allergen-specific IgE. When correctly implemented, aeroallergens such as house mites, pollens, and pet allergens can be determined. Skin tests are widely used to assess sensitivity to allergens due to their relatively easy application and safety. The present study aims to delineate a regional allergen profile and compare this profile with that of other regions of the country. Furthermore, a comparison of total IgE elevation and prick test positivity was made to assess the sensitivity and specificity of total IgE levels. One hundred and sixty seven patients over 18 years of age that applied to either in- or out-patient clinics, that had a diagnosis of asthma according to the criteria of GINA (the Global Initiative for Asthma) and had been attack -free for at least one month were included. Forty one patients were male and 124 were female. The prick test was positive in 18.7%. Pollens (41.9%), mite (22.5%) and cochroach were the most frequently detected allergens. Those that had serum IgE levels higher than the serum reference value had sign ificantly higher rate of prick test positivity (p=0.029). The present study demonstrates inter-regional variability of allergen profiles and the direct correlation between total IgE elevation and prick test positivity. In cases where prick tests are not av ailable, allergen sensitivity can be determined by total IgE levels.
1. Singh AB, Kumar P. Aeroallergens in clinical practice of allergy in India. An overview. Ann Agric Environ Med 2003; 10: 131-136.
2. Douglass JA, O'Hehir RE. Diagnosis, treatment and prevention of allergic disease: the basics. Med J Aust 2006; 185: 228-233.
3. Kurt E. Allerji deri testleri. Türkiye Klinikleri Dahili Tıp Bilimleri Dergisi 2007; 3: 14-20.
4. Çelik GE, Gemicioğlu B. Tanımdan Tedaviye Astım. Turgut Yayıncılık ve Ticaret A.Ş. İstanbul 2005: 157‐184.
5. Davutoğlu M, Bilici M, Dağlı A, Haspolat K, Ece A. Analysis of factors related to total serum IgE levels in children with bronchial asthma. Dicle Tıp Dergisi 2000; 27: 21‐29.
6. Talay F, Göksügür N, Yılmaz F, Kurt B. Abant İzzet Baysal Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesinde Uygulanan Deri Prick Testlerinin Sonuçları. Düzce Tıp Fakültesi Dergisi 2008; 1: 11‐16.
7. Yılmaz A, Tuncer A, Şekerel BE, Adalıoğlu G, Saraçlar Y. Cockroach allergy in a group of Turkish children with respiratory allergies. Turkish Journal of Pediatrics 2004; 46: 344‐349.
8. Kalyoncu AF, Coplu L, Selçuk ZT, et al. The Allergic spectra and atopic status of patients with bronchial asthma, XV. Congress of Allergology and Clinical Immunology, Stockholm 1994, l4: 1731.
9. Türktaş H. Etyoloji ve Patogenez. Ulusal Verilerle Astma. Kalyoncu AF, Türktaş H.ed. Kent Matbaa, Ankara 1999: 39‐89.
10. Celik G, Sin B, Keskin S, et al. Risk factors determining allergic airway diseases in Turkey subjects. Journal of Asthma 2002; 39: 383‐390.
11. Budak S. Ege bölgesindeki ev tozlarındaki akar faunası. T Parazitol Derg 1988; 12: 47‐53.
12. Güleğen E, Girişgin O, Kutukoğlu F. Bursa evlerinde bulunan ev tozu akar türleri. T Parazitol Derg 2005; 29: 185‐187.
13. Wang Y, Zhang X, Wang C, et al. Results of skin prick test in 908 children with asthma Zhoungguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi 2009; 11: 559‐561.
14. Holm L, Van Hage‐Hamsten M, Ohman S, Scheynius A. Sensitization to allergens of house dust mite in adults with atopic dermatititis in cold temperate region. Allergy 1999; 54: 708‐715.
15. Özçeker D , Durak C, Kardelen AD , Güler N , Tamay Z. Atopic Dermatitis in Children: How Much Atopic?. Asthma Allergy Immunol 2017; 15: 135-139.
16. Akçakaya N, Çokuğraş H, Camcıoğlu Y, Özdemir M. Skin test hypersensitivity for childhood asthma in İstanbul during a period of 16 years. Allergologia et İmmunopathologia 2005; 33: 15‐19.
17. Yazıcıoğlu M, Asan A, Ones U, et al. Indoor airborne fungal spores and home characteristics in asthmatic children from Edirne region of Turkey. Allergologia et Immunopathologia 2004; 32: 197‐203.
18. Ceylan E. Şanlıurfa’da Bronş Astımlı Olguların Klinik Özellikleri.Türk Solunum Araştırma Dergisi 2004; 6: 5‐13.
19. Ceylan E, Gencer M. The aeroallergen sensitivity of asthmatic patients in Sanlıurfa.Turk Resp J 2006; 72: 48‐51.
20. Adkinson FN, Yunginger JW, Busse WW, et al. Allergy, Principles & Practice. St Louis: Mosby‐Year Book Inc 2003; 1225‐1255.
21. Gemicioğlu B. Bronş Astımı. Erk M. ed. Göğüs Hastalıkları II. Cilt Santay Matbaacılık, İstanbul 2001; 619-661.
22. Beeh KM, Ksoll M, Buhl R. Elevation of total serum immunglobulin E is associated with asthma in nonallergic individuals. Eur Respir J 2000; 16:609‐614
23. Kuyucu S, Saraçlar Y, Tuncer A, Saçkesen C, et al. Determinants of atopic sensitization in Turkish school children: Effect of pre and postnatal events and maternal atopy. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology 2004; 15: 62‐71.
24. Sakin Y. Astımlılarda Sinonazal Patolojilerin Değerlendirilmesi, Uzmanlık Tezi. Yüzüncü Yıl Üniversitesi KBB Anabilimdalı Van 2006; 58‐70.
25. Yüksekkaya H. Astımlı Hastalarımızın Klinik ve Laboratuar Özellikleri ve Bunları Etkileyen Faktörler, Uzmanlık Tezi, Selçuk Üniversitesi Tıp Fakültesi Çocuk Sağlığı ve Hastalıkları Anabilimdalı 2003; 30‐48.