Objective: The aim of the present study was to evaluate the effect of PRP on the repair of spinal cord injury in rat model. Material and methods: Rats were randomly divided into three groups with six rats in each group. Then, spinal cord injury was performed under general anesthesia using "weight dropping" method. Control group included rats receiving normal saline, group two received PRP 1 week after injury; group three received PRP 24 h after injury. The motor function was assessed weekly using the Basso, Beattie, and Bresnahan (BBB) locomotor rating scale. Anterograde tracing was performed for evaluation of axon regeneration. Result: Motor recovery was significantly better in the rats treated with PRP 24 h after injury than the control group. In the rats treated with PRP 1 week after injury and rats treated with PRP 24 h after injury, the average numbers of BDA-labeled axons were statistically different from the control group. Conclusion: Our experimental study demonstrated positive effects of platelet rich plasma on nerve regeneration after spinal cord injury.
1. Thuret S, Moon LDF, Gage FH. Therapeutic interventions after spinal cord injury. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2006;7(8):628e643.
2. Claire E. Recent advances in pathophysiology and treatment of spinal cord injury. Adv Physiol Educ. 2002;26(1e4):4.
3. Marx RE. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP): what is PRP and what is not PRP? Implant Dent. 2001;10(4):225e228.
4. Kucuk L, Gunay H, Erbas O, Kucuk U, Atamaz F, Coskunol E. Effects of plateletrich plasma on nerve regeneration in a rat model. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2014;48(4):449e454.
5. Elgazzar R, Mutabagani M, Abdelaal S, Sadakah A. Platelet rich plasma may enhance peripheral nerve regeneration after cyanoacrylate reanastomosis: a controlled blind study on rats. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008;37(8): 748e755.
6. Sariguney Y, Yavuzer R, Elmas C, Yenicesu I, Bolay H, Atabay K. Effect of platelet-rich plasma on peripheral nerve regeneration. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2008;24(3):159e167.
7. Shirvan MK, Alamdar DH, Ghorifi A, Rahimi HR. A novel treatment for urethrovaginal fistula: autologous platelet-richeplasma injection and plateletrichefibrin-glue interposition. J Gynecol Surg. 2013;29(5):268e270.
8. Tashnizi MA, Alamdari DH, Khayami ME, et al. Treatment of non-healing sternum wound after open-heart surgery with allogenic platelet-rich plasma and fibrin glue-preliminary outcomes. Indian J Plast Surg Off Publ Assoc Plast Surg India. 2013;46(3):538.
9. Tavakolinejad S, Hamidi Alamdari D, Khajehahmadi S, Ebrahimzadeh Bidskan A. Histological evidences after platelet-rich-plasma and adipose drived stem cells injection on critical size cleft palate. Int J Pediatr. 2014;2(2.3):88.
10. Tavakolinejad S, Khosravi M, Mashkani B, et al. The effect of human plateletrich plasma on adipose-derived stem cell proliferation and osteogenic differentiation. Iran Biomed J. 2014;18(3):151.
11. Carter CA, Jolly DG, Worden CE, Hendren DG, Kane CJ. Platelet-rich plasma gel promotes differentiation and regeneration during equine wound healing. Exp Mol Pathol. 2003;74(3):244e255.
12. Oyama T, Nishimoto S, Tsugawa T, Shimizu F. Efficacy of platelet-rich plasma in alveolar bone grafting. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2004;62(5):555e558.
13. Yu W, Wang J, Yin J. Platelet-rich plasma: a promising product for treatment of peripheral nerve regeneration after nerve injury. Int J Neurosci. 2011;121(4): 176e180.
14. Beaumont E, Guevara E, Dubeau S, Lesage F, Nagai M, Popovic M. Functional electrical stimulation post-spinal cord injury improves locomotion and increases afferent input into the central nervous system in rats. J Spinal Cord Med. 2014;37(1):93e100.
15. Metz GA, Curt A, Van De Meent H, Klusman I, Schwab ME, Dietz V. Validation of the weight-drop contusion model in rats: a comparative study of human spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma. 2000;17(1):1e17.
16. Basso DM, Beattie MS, Bresnahan JC. A sensitive and reliable locomotor rating scale for open field testing in rats. J Neurotrauma. 1995;12(1):1e21.
17. Fouad K, Schnell L, Bunge MB, Schwab ME, Liebscher T, Pearse DD. Combining Schwann cell bridges and olfactory-ensheathing glia grafts with chondroitinase promotes locomotor recovery after complete transection of the spinal cord. J Neurosci. 2005;2;25(5):1169e1178.
18. Farrag TY, Lehar M, Verhaegen P, Carson KA, Byrne PJ. Effect of platelet rich plasma and fibrin sealant on facial nerve regeneration in a rat model. Laryngoscope. 2007;117(1):157e165.
19. Cho HH, Jang S, Lee SC, et al. Effect of neural-induced mesenchymal stem cells and platelet-rich plasma on facial nerve regeneration in an acute nerve injury model. Laryngoscope. 2010;120(5):907e913.
20. Ye F, Li H, Qiao G, et al. Platelet-rich plasma gel in combination with Schwann cells for repair of sciatic nerve injury. Neural Regen Res. 2012;7(29):2286.
21. Takeuchi M, Kamei N, Shinomiya R, et al. Human platelet-rich plasma promotes axon growth in brainespinal cord coculture. Neuroreport. 2012;23(12): 712e716.
22. Piskin A, Kaplan S, Aktas¸ A, et al. Platelet gel does not improve peripheral nerve regeneration: an electrophysiological, stereological, and electron microscopic study. Microsurgery. 2009;29(2):144e153.
23. Welch J, Kraus K, Wells M, Blunt D, Weremowitz J. Effect of combined administration of insulin-like growth factor and platelet-derived growth factor on the regeneration of transected and anastomosed sciatic nerve in rats. Am J Vet Res. 1997;58(9):1033e1037.
24. Cheng H, Wu JP, Tzeng SF. Neuroprotection of glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor in damaged spinal cords following contusive injury. J Neurosci Res. 2002;69(3):397e405.
25. Guo J, Zeng Y, Li H, et al. Cotransplant of neural stem cells and NT-3 gene modified Schwann cells promote the recovery of transected spinal cord injury. Spinal Cord. 2007;45(1):15e24.
26. Martins RS, Siqueira MG, Da Silva CF, Plese JP. Overall assessment of regeneration in peripheral nerve lesion repair using fibrin glue, suture, or a combination of the 2 techniques in a rat model. Which is the ideal choice? Surg Neurol. 2005;64(1):S10eS16.
27. Dellon AL, Mackinnon SE. Selection of the appropriate parameter to measure neural regeneration. Ann Plast Surg. 1989;23(3):197e202.
28. Oudega M, Xu X-M. Schwann cell transplantation for repair of the adult spinal cord. J Neurotrauma. 2006;23(3-4):453e467.