Öz The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of selected biometric characteristics on French trotters? racing performance. Moreover, the work attempts a prediction of racing performance indexes based on the horse?s individual characteristics, as well as the evaluation of the usefulness of an alternative method of a horse?s intravital measurements that limits the stress of the animal. A population of 64 horses of French trotter breed appearing in the Polish Stud Book of Trotters, which had participated in races in 2015, were subject to the investigation. The research material was represented by the indexes of racing performance combined with photobiometric measurements of those horses. It was proved that the angulation patterns of trotters' limbs have an influence on the value of racing performance indexes. The highest statistical significance was found for the pelvic limb. A significant discrepancy in the values of the racing performance indexes was found in the tested population. Furthermore, the usefulness of the alternative photo-biometric methods was proved. In conclusion, based on the results and using the presented method, a trotter horse can be visually examined in terms of its predisposition to win races.
1. Kędzierski W, Kowalik S, Janczarek I. Chosen biochemical and hematological blood parameters and heart rates of young trotters in consecutive phases of training. Acta Scientiarum Polonorum Medicina Veterinaria 2007; 6 (2): 15-24 (in Polish with an abstract in English).
2. Kaproń M, Janczarek I, Pluta J. Relationship between parameters of body conformation and race barve performance of the race horses. Zeszyty Naukowe Przegląd Hodowlany 2000; 50: 107-118 (in Polish with an abstract in English).
3. Kaproń M, Świerkosz M, Bocian K, Pluta M. Traits referring to the type of the noble half-bred horses within half-sib groups. Folia Universitatis Agriculturae Stetinensis 2000; 212: 33-47 (in Polish with an abstract in English).
4. Ross MW, Dyson SJ. Diagnosis and Management of Lameness in the Horse-E-Book. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2010.
5. Thomas HS. The Horse Conformation Handbook. North Adams, MA, USA: Storey Pub.; 2005.
6. Prawochenski R. Hodowla koni: pochodzenie, typy, rys historii hodowli, pokrój i metody wyceny konia. Warsaw, Poland: Nakeamdem Państwowego Instytutu Naukowego Gospodarstwa Wiejskiego; 1947 (in Polish).
7. Zwoliński J. Hodowla koni. Warsaw, Poland: Państwowe Wydawnictwo Rolnicze i Leśne; 1971 (in Polish).
8. Janczarek I, Wilk I, Strzelec K. Correlations between body dimensions of young trotters and motion parameters and racing performance. Pferdeheilkunde Equine Medicine 2017; 33 (2): 139-145. doi: 10.21836/pem20170205
9. Komosa M, Frąckowiak H. Morphological differentiation of Konik horses - multivariate analyses. Acta Scientiarum Polonorum Zootechnica 2007; 6 (4): 45-58 (in Polish with an abstract in English).
10. Pasicka E, de Oedenberg HG. Characteristics of conformation parameters of polish konik horses from preservation breeding centres versus metric traits of this breed used in hippotherapy. Zeszyty Naukowe Uniwersytetu Przyrodniczego we Wrocławiu Biologia i Hodowla Zwierząt 2012; 66 (590): 51-62 (in Polish with an abstract in English).
11. Śpitalniak K, de Oedenberg HG, Kupczyński R. Analysis of selected biometrical dimensions and biometrical idicators of polish konik. Zeszyty Naukowe Uniwersytetu Przyrodniczego we Wroclawiu Biologia i Hodowla Zwierzat 2013; 70 (598): 55-63 (in Polish with an abstract in English).
12. Purzyc H, Kobryńczuk F, Bojarski J. Sexual dimorphism in Hucul horses using discriminant analysis. Animal 2011; 5 (4): 506-511. doi: 10.1017/S1751731110002223
13. Gómez M, Goyache F, Molina A, Valera M. Sire × stud interaction for body measurement traits in Spanish Purebred horses. Journal of Animal Science 2009; 87 (8): 2502-2509. doi: 10.2527/jas.2008- 0841
14. Sánchez MJ, Gómez MD, Peña F, Monterde JG, Morales JL et al. Relationship between conformation traits and gait characteristics in Pura Raza Español horses. Archives Animal Breeding 2013; 56 (13): 137-148. doi:10.7482/0003-9438-56-013
15. Sánchez-Guerrero MJ, Molina A, Gómez MD, Peña F, Valera M. Relationship between morphology and performance: signature of mass-selection in Pura Raza Español horse. Livestock Science 2016; 185: 148-155. doi: 10.1016/j.livsci.2016.01.003
16. Jodkowska E, Badura N, Stasina P. Analysis of horses conformation competing in show jumping and dressage. Zeszyty Naukowe Uniwersytetu Przyrodniczego we Wroclawiu Biologia i Hodowla Zwierzat 2013; 70 (598): 35-44 (in Polish with an abstract in English).
17. Sole M, Santos R, Gomez MD, Galisteo AM, Valera M. Evaluation of conformation against traits associated with dressage ability in unridden Iberian horses at the trot. Research in Veterinary Science 2013; 95 (2): 660-666. doi: 10.1016/j.rvsc.2013.06.017
18. Santschi EM. Articular fetlock injuries in exercising horses. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Equine Practice 2008; 24 (1): 117-132. doi: 10.1016/j.cveq.2007.11.011
19. Kaproń M, Zięba G, Kaproń B. Attempt to utilise BLUP animal model method in evaluation of breeding value of noble half-bred horses with regard to traits referring to the type. Folia Universitatis Agriculturae Stetinensis 2000; 212: 55-61 (in Polish with an abstract in English).
20. Grabowski J. Hipologia dla wszystkich. Warsaw, Poland: Krajowa Agencja Wydawnicza; 1982 (in Polish).
21. Higgins MH, Martin S. Posture and Performance. Principles of Training Horses from the Anatomical Perspective. Wykey, UK: Kenilworth Press; 2015.