Genius Logi: Towards the Phenomenology of Gated Community
Genius Logi: Towards the Phenomenology of Gated Community
Gated communities have emerged in the world for reasons such as increased fear of crime, security, prestige, desire to be different. In Turkey gated communities have emerged because of neoliberal policies that promotes high-income segment seeking prestige. Gated communities are constructed not only metropolitan cities such as Ankara, Istanbul, Izmir, but also gated communities have been constructed in Anatolia. Aydın is one of these cities. Gated communities in Aydın have a unique infrastructure. Gated communities in Aydın are based on the cooperative process that was widely established after 1950. In this study it is aimed to investigate whether there is a meaningful connection between the characteristics of Aydın and the gated communities. In order to determine the phenomenon of place in the city of Aydın, information about the place and the spirit of the place has been interpreted with a hermeneutic method and transferred to the table through Norberg Schulz (1976)'s work "Genius Loci: Towards a Phenomenology of Architecture". According to the table, the phenomenon of place is divided into phenomena as image, identity and meaning. The table was designed to analyze the place identity of the city of Aydın and the phenomenon of place.
- BALA, ALKAN, H. (2018). Neighborhood from Cul-DeSac to Gated Community in Turkish Urban Culture: The “Fina”. ICONARP International Journal of Architecture & Planning, Received 10 July 2018; Accepted 06 Aug 2018 Volume 6, Special Issue, pp: 333-357/Published 28 December 2018, DOI: 10.15320/ICONARP.2018.57–E-ISSN: 2147-9380, http://iconarp.selcuk.edu.tr/iconarp/article/view/217
- BLAKELY, E. J, SNYDER, M. G. (1997). Fortress America. Gated Communities in the United States, Washington DC and Cambridge: Brookings Institution and Lincoln Institute of Land Policy.
- BORSDORF, A. (2002). Barrios cerrados en Santiago de Chile, Quito y Lima: tendencias de la segregacio´n socioespacialen capitales andinas. In. L. F. Cabrales Barajas (Ed.), Latinoame´Rica: Paı´Ses Abiertos, Ciudadescerradas (pp. 581-610). Mexico: Universidad de Guadalajara, UNESCO.
- BURKE, M. (2001). The Pedestrian Behavior of Residents in Gated Communities, paper presented at the Conference of Australia: Walking the 21st century- 20th to 22nd February, Perth, Western Australia.
- CALDEIRA, T. P., 2000. City of Walls: Crime, Segregation and Citizenship in Sao Paulo, Berkeley, CA University of California.
- CERTEAU, DE M. (1984). The Practice of Everyday Life, University of California Press, Berkeley.
- CARVALHO, M., GEORGE, R. V., AND ANTHONY, K. H. (1997). Residential satisfaction in a condominios exclusivos (gate-guarded neighbourhoods) in Brazil, Environment and Behavior, 29: 734-68.
DANAEINIA, A. (2021). The Sense Of Entrance To A Place In Kashan. Historical Houses. Journal of Architecture And Urbanism Issn 2029-7955 / Eissn 2029-7947 2021 Volume 45 Issue 1: 38–49
- ELLIN, N. (1997). Architecture of fear, New York : Princeton Architectural Press
- FABIYI, O. (2004). Gated Neighbourhoods and Privatisation of Urban Security in Ibadan Metropolis. No. 16 IFRA. Ibadan: Occasional.
- GRANT J, MITTELSTEADT L. (2004). Types of Gated communities, Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, 31 913-930.
- GREENSTEIN, R., SABATINI, F. & SMOLKA. (2000). Urban Spatial Segregation: Forces, Consequences, And Policy Responses. Land Lines, 12, 6. 66.
- HAY, R. (1998). Sense of place in developmental context, Journal of Environmental Psychology, 18: 5-29.
HEIDEGGER, M., MACQUARRIE, J., & ROBINSON, E. (1962). Being and time. Malden, MA: Blackwell.
HIDALGO, M. C., AND HERNANDEZ, B. (2001). Place attachment: Conceptual and empirical questions, Journal of Environmental Psychology, 21: 273-81.
- KÖKSAL, A. (2003). Yitirilen Güvenlik Duygusu ve Kapalı Yerleşmeler, Arredamento Mimarlık, Temmuz-Ağustos.
- LANDMAN, K. (2000). An Overview of Enclosed Neighbourhoods in South Afrika, Pretoria, CSIR Publication, BOU / I 187
LANDMAN, K. (2000). Gated Communities: An international review. Pretoria, CSIR Publication, BOU/I 186.
LANDMAN, K. (2004). Who owns the roads? Privatising Public space in South African cities through neighbourhood enclosures, Publications of CISR Building and Construction Technology, South Africa.
- LOW, S. M. (2000). The edge and the center: Gated communities and the discourse of urban fear, American Anthropologist, 103: 45-58.
- MASSEY, D., & DENTON, N. (1993). American Apartheid: Segregation and the Making of the Underclass, Cambridge: MA, Harvard University.
- MINGIONE, E. (1996). Urban Poverty and the Underclass A Reader. Oxford: Blackwell.
- NOORMOHAMMADI, S. (2018). Images Of Inhabiting At Campo Square In Siena:The Integration Of Bachelard’s Topoanalysis In The Interpretation Of Architectural And Urban Spaces, Journal Of Architecture And Urbanism Issn 2029-7955 / Eissn 2029-7947 2018 Volume 42 Issue 1: 80–94
- NORBERG-SCHULZ, CHRISTIAN. (1976). Genius Loci: Towards a Phenomenology of Architecture, Londra.
- PALMER, RICHARD E. (2003). Hermeneutik, Çev. İ. Görener, Ankaray., İstanbul.
- PROSHONSKY, HAROLD M.; FABIAN, ABBE K.; KAMINOFF, R. (1983). Place- Identity: Physical World Socialization of Self, Journal of Environmental Psychology, Volume 3, Issue 1, March-December, Pages 57-83.
- ROITMAN, S. (2005). Who segregates whom? The analysis of a gated community in Mendoza, Argentina, Housing Studies, 20: 303-21.
- SEAMON, D. (1979). A Geography of The Lifeworld, St. Martin's, New York.
- SHARR, A. (2013). Mimarlar için Heidegger, (Çev.V.Atmaca), İstanbul, YEM Yayın, p.
- SVAMPA, M. (2001). Los que ganaron. La vida en los countries y barrios privados. Buenos Aires: Biblos
- TURGAY, TARÇIN, Z.; ÜNLÜ, A.,(2017). Yere bağlılık ile mekan ilişkisinin bina ölçeğinde irdelenmesi: İstanbul Erkek Lisesi Örneği. Uluslararası Hakemli Tasarım ve Mimarlık Dergisi(TMD), Issue:12, syf. 66.
- YALÇIN, AKGÜL, E.; YILMAZ, O.,(2020). Yer duygusu ve peyzaj değerleriarasındaki ilişkinin üniversite kampüsleri üzerinden değerlendirilmesi, Uluslararası Hakemli Tasarım ve Mimarlık Dergisi(TMD), Issue:20, syf.35.
- WEBSTER, C.J. (2002). Gated Cities of Tomorrow. Town Planning Review, 72: 149-170.
- WILSON-DOENGES, G. (2000). An exploration of sense of community and fear of crime in gated communities, Environment and Behavior, 32, pp. 597–611.