Öz The aim of the present work was to develop and validate an efficient Ultra-High Performance Liquid Chromatography (UHPLC) method for the determination of folic acid (FA) in malt-based beverages. Solid-phase extraction (SPE) procedure was used for cleanup and preconcentration of the malt-based beverages before the UHPLC analysis. The analysis was performed in a C18 column (2.1x50 mmx1.8 µm) using a solvent system of ACN: 0.1 % formic acid in water (10:90, v/v) by isocratic elution. Injection volume was 5 µL. The flow rates of the mobile phase were maintained at 0.2 mL min‒1 for 0.00–4.00 min and 0.5 mL min‒1 for 4.01–12.00 min. Methyl paraben was used as the internal standard (IS). The FA and IS signals were detected at 284 nm and 254 nm, respectively. Under these conditions, FA and IS were separated in 3.6 min and 11.4 min, respectively. The method was successfully validated in terms of precision, accuracy, linearity, limits of detection (LOD) and quantification (LOQ) parameters. The relative standard deviations for intra- and inter-day precision were less than 1.5%. Good linearity with a high correlation coefficient was achieved over the concentration range of 20.13 µg L−1 – 2004 µg mL−1 for FA. The LOD and LOQ values were 6.66 µg L−1 and 20.13 µg L−1, respectively. Good recovery values were found ranged between 99.1% and 106% for boza and vitamin fortified malt drink. The proposed method was successfully applied for the determination of FA in malt beers, vitamin fortified malt drinks and boza samples.
1. Deconinck, E, Crevits, S, Baten, P, Courselle, P, De Beer, J, A validated ultra high pressure liquid chromatographic method for qualification and quantification of folic acid in pharmaceutical preparations, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 2011, 54, 995–1000.
2. Breithaupt, D.E, Determination of folic acid by ion-pair RP-HPLC in vitamin-fortified fruit juices after solid-phase extraction, Food Chemistry, 2001, 74, 521–525.
3. Uysal, Ü.D, Oncu, E.M, Tuncel, M, Determination of folic acid by capillary electrophoresis in various cultivated variety of lentils, Chromatographia, 2010, 71, 653–658.
4. Tomiuk, S, Liu, Y, Green, T.J, King, M.J, Finglas, P.M, Kitts, D.D, Studies on the retention of microencapsulated L-5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid in baked bread using skim milk powder, Food Chemistry, 2012, 133, 249–255.
5. Hau Fung Cheung, R, Hughes, J.G, Marriott, P.J, Small, D.M, Analytical methods investigation of folic acid stability in fortified instant Asian noodles by use of capillary electrophoresis, Food Chemistry, 2009, 112, 507–514.
6. Lucock, M, Folic acid: Nutritional biochemistry, molecular biology, and role in disease processes, Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, 2000, 71(1/2), 121–138.
7. Francis, F.J, Encyclopedia of Food Science and Technology; John Wiley & Sons: New York, U.S.A., 1999.
8. Fajardo, V, Alonso-Aperte, E, Varela-Moreiras, G, Lack of data on folate in convenience foods: Should ready-to-eat products be considered relevant for folate intake? The European challenge, Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 2012, 28, 155–163.
9. Hau Fung Cheung, R, Morrison, P.D, Small, D.M, Marriott, P.J, Investigation of folic acid stability in fortified instant noodles by use of capillary electrophoresis and reversed-phase high performance liquid chromatography, Journal of Chromatography A, 2008, 1213, 93–99.
10. Centers for Disease Control, Recommendations for the use of folic acid to reduce the number of cases of spina bifida and other neural defects. 1992, MMWR: 41(No. RR14):1.
11. Pantuckova, P, Krivankova, L, Analysis of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate in human blood, serum and urine by on-line coupling of capillary isotachophoresis and zone electrophoresis, Electrophoresis, 2010, 31, 3391–3399.
12. Opladen, T, Ramaekers, V.T, Heimann, G, Blau, N, Analysis of 5-methyltetrahydrofolate in serum of healthy children, Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, 2006, 87, 61–65.
13. Zhao, S, Yuan, H, Xie, C, Xiao, D, Determination of folic acid by capillary electrophoresis with chemiluminescence detection, Journal of Chromatography A, 2006, 1107, 290–293.
14. Edelmann, M, Kariluoto, S, Nyström, L, Piironen, V, Folate in barley grain and fractions, Journal of Cereal Science, 2013, 58, 37–44.
15. Arcot, J, Shrestha, A, Folate: methods of analysis, Trends in Food Science&Technology, 2005, 16, 253–266.
16. Puwastien, P, Pinprapai, N, Judprasong, K, Tamura, T, International inter-laboratory analyses of food folate, Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 2005, 18, 387–397.
17. Zhang, T, Xue, H, Zhang, B, Zhang, Y, Song, P, Tian, X, Xing, Y, Wang, P, Meng, M, Xi, R, Determination of folic acid in milk, milk powder and energy drink by an indirect immunoassay, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 2012, 92, 2297–2304.
18. Matias, R, Ribeiro, P.R.S, Sarraguça, M.C, Lopes, J.A, A UV spectrophotometric method for the determination of folic acid in pharmaceutical tablets and dissolution tests, Analytical Methods, 2014, 6, 3065–3071.
19. Jastrebova, J, Witthoft, C, Grahn, A, Svensson, U, Jagerstad, M, HPLC determination of folates in raw and processed beetroots, Food Chemistry, 2003, 80, 579–588.
20. Ulusoy, H.İ, Acıdereli, H, Ulusoy, S, Erdoğan, S, Development of a new methodology for determination of vitamin B9 at trace levels by ultrasonic-assisted cloud point extraction prior to HPLC, Food Analytical Methods, 2017, 10, 799–808.
21. Ulusoy, S, Acıdereli, H, Erdoğan, S, Ulusoy, H.I, A new approach to the determination of folic acid at trace levels: using a Fe(III)-folic acid complex to amplify analytical signal, RSC Advances, 2016, 6, 40115–40122.
22. Pawlosky, R.J, Flanagan, V.P, Doherty, R.F, A mass spectrometric validated high-performance liquid chromatography procedure for the determination of folates in foods, Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2003, 51, 3726–3730.
23. Wang, X, Zhang, T, Zhao, X, Guan, Z, Wang, Z, Zhua, Z, Xie, Q, Wang, J, Niu, B, Quantification of folate metabolites in serum using ultraperformance liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry, Journal of Chromatography B, 2014, 962, 9–13.
24. Eitenmiller, R.R, Landen, W.O, Ye, Jr.L, Vitamin Analysis for the Health and Food Sciences; Second Edition CRC Press: Boca Raton, U.S.A., 2007; pp 664.
25. Nováková, L, Solichová, D, Solich, P, Advantages of ultra performance liquid chromatography over high-performance liquid chromatography: comparison of different analytical approaches during analysis of diclofenac gel, Journal of Separation Science, 2006, 29(16), 2433–43.
26. Núnez, O, Gallart-Ayala, H, Martins, C.P.B, Lucci, P, Review New trends in fast liquid chromatography for food and environmental analysis, Journal of Chromatography A, 2012, 1228, 298–323.
27. Yang, G.-L, Yang, L.-W, Li, Y.-X, Cao, H, Zhou, W.-L, Fang, Z.-J, Zhou, H.-B, Mo, J.-L, Xiao, S.-X, Lin, H.-R, Applications of ultra-performance liquid chromatography to traditional chinese medicines, Journal of Chromatographic Science, 2010, 48, 18–21.
28. Klimczak, I, Gliszczynska-Swigło, A, Comparison of UPLC and HPLC methods for determination of vitamin C, Food Chemistry, 2015, 175, 100–105.
29. AOAC Official Method 944.12. Folic acid (pteroylglutamic acid) in Vitamin Preparations, Microbiological Methods, 1960.
30. AOAC Official Method 992.05. Folic Acid (Pteroylglutamic Acid) in Infant Formula. In: Horwitz, W. (Ed.) Official Methods of Analysis. 17. edn. Gaithersburg, MD.: AOAC International; 2, 2000, pp 50.024-50.026.
31. AOAC Official Method 2004.05. Total Folates in Cerals and Cereal foods. In. 10. edn. Gaithersburg, MD, 2004.
32. European Committee for Standardization (CEN), EN 14131:2003. Foodstuffs. Determination of Folate by Microbiological Assay, 2003.
33. Strandler, H.S, Determination of Folate for Food Composition Data, Licentiate Thesis, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Uppsala, 2012.
34. Preedy, V.R, Beer in Health and Disease Prevention; Elsevier/Academic Press: Boston, U.S.A., 2009.
35. Yegin, S, Üren, A, Biogenic amine content of boza: A traditional cereal-based, fermented Turkish beverage, Food Chemistry, 2008, 111, 983–987.
36. Genc, M, Zorba, M, Ova, G, Determination of rheological properties of boza by using physical and sensory analysis, Journal of Food Engineering, 2002, 52, 95–98.
37. De Quirós, A.R.-B, de Ron, C.C, López-Hernández, J, Lage-Yusty, M.A, Determination of folates in seaweeds by high-performance liquid chromatography, Journal of Chromatography A, 2004, 1032, 135–139.
38. Uysal, Ü.D, Öncü, E.M, Berikten, D, Yilmaz, N, Tuncel, N.B, Kıvanc, M, Tuncel, M, Time and temperature dependent microbiological and mycotoxin (ochratoxin-A) levels in boza, International Journal of Food Microbiology, 2009, 130, 43–48.
39. Prieto, S.P, Grande, B.C, Falcon, S.G, Gandara, J.S, Screening for folic acid content in vitamin-fortified beverages, Food Control, 2006, 17, 900–904.
40. Validation of Analytical Procedures: Methodology, The International Conference on Harmonization (ICH), Topic Q2B, CPMP/ICH/281/95, 1996.
41. Bassett, M.N, Sammán, N.C, Folate content and retention in selected raw and processed foods, Archivos Latinoamericanos de Nutrición, 2010, 60(3), 298–305.
42. Gürkan, R, Altunay, N, A simple and efficient ultrasonic-assisted extraction procedure combined with UV-Vis spectrophotometry for the pre-concentration and determination of folic acid (vitamin B9) in various sample matrices, Food Additives&Contaminants Part A, 2016, 33(7), 1127–1138.
43. Ekinci, R, Kadakal, Ç, Determination of seven water-soluble vitamins in tarhana, A traditional turkish cereal food, by high-performance liquid chromatography, Acta Chromatographica, 2005, 15, 289–297.
44. Lebiedzinska, A, Dabrowska, M, Szefer, P, Marszall, M, High-performance liquid chromatography method for the determination of folic acid in fortified food products, Toxicology Mechanisms and Methods, 2008, 18, 463–467.