Objective: Exercise and sport offer conveniences to health and general quality of life. In this regard, this study was undertaken to evaluate the impact of sport and exercise on mental and physical health, as well as academic performance among the university students in Bangladesh. Material and methods: A cross-sectional study involving 639 university students (51.2% athletes and 48.8% non-athletes) aged 18-26 years was conducted from December 2017 to March 2018. Statistical analysis was performed by using the SPSS software (version 20) and Microsoft Office Excel 2010. Results: Mental health condition of athletes was significantly (p
Amaç: Egzersiz ve spor sağlığı ve genel yaşam kalitesini destekler. Çalışma, bu bağlamda, Bangladeş'teki üniversite öğrencilerinde spor ve egzersizin akademik performansın yanı sıra zihinsel ve fiziksel sağlık üzerindeki etkisini değerlendirmek için yapıldı. Gereç ve yöntem: Aralık 2017-Mart 2018 tarihleri aralığında 18-26 yaşları arasındaki 639 üniversite öğrencisini (%51.2 sporcu ve%48.8 sporcu olmayan) kapsayan kesitsel bir çalışma yapıldı. İstatistiksel analizde SPSS yazılımı (sürüm 20) ve Microsoft Office Excel 2010 kullanıldı. Bulgular: Sporcuların akıl sağlığı durumu, gerek kaygı (%30.3 hafif, %4.3 orta, %1.2 şiddetli kaygı) gerekse depresyon (% 31.2 hafif, % 5.8 orta,% 1.5 orta derecede şiddetli ve şiddetli depresyonda 0 vaka) skorları olarak sporcu olmayanlara kıyasla (sırasıyla %47.4, %21.5 ve %11.2 ile %40.7, %28.1, %12.5 ve %5.8) anlamlı derecede (p
1. Janssen I, Leblanc AG. Systematic review of the health benefits of physical activity and fitness in school-aged children and youth. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2010;7:40.
2. World Health Organization. Global Recommendations on Physical Activity for Health. Geneva: WHO; 2010. ISBN 978924 1599979; pp 4-57.
3. Boreham C, Riddoch C. The physical activity, fitness and health of children. J Sports Sci. 2001;19(12):915- 29.
4. Nieman DC, Pedersen BK. Exercise and immune function. Recent developments. Sports Med. 1999;27(2):73-80.
5. Van Raalte JL, Cornelius AE, Andrews S, Diehl NS, Brewer BW. Mental health referral for studentathletes: web-based education and training. J Clin Sport Psychol. 2015;9(3):197-212.
6. Tyson P, Wilson K, Crone D, Brailsford R, Laws K. Physical activity and mental health in a student population. J Ment Health. 2010;19(6):492-9.
7. Ahmadi J, Samavatt F, Sayyad M, Ghanizadeh A. Various types of exercise and scores on the Beck Depression Inventory. Psychol Rep. 2002;90(3 Pt 1):821-2.
8. Kwan MY, Cairney J, Faulkner GE, Pullaneyagum EE. Physical activity and other health-risk behaviors during the transition into early adulthood: a longitudinal cohort study. Am J Prev Med. 2012;42(1):14-20.
9. Sigmundová D, Chmelík F, Sigmund E, Feltlová D, Frömel K. Physical activity in the lifestyle of Czech university students: meeting health recommendations. Eur J Sport Sci. 2013;13(6): 744- 50.
10. Bray SR, Born HA. Transition to university and vigorous physical activity: implications for health and psychological well-being. J Am Coll Health. 2004;52(4):181-8.
11. Massiera B, Petracovschi S, Chin J. Ideological challenges to developing leisure sport in Romania: a cultural and historical analysis of the impact of elite sport on popular sport practice. Loisir et Société/Society and Leisure. 2013;36(1):111-26.
12. Spitzer RL, Kroenke K, Williams JBW, Lowe B. A brief measure for assessing generalized anxiety disorder: The GAD-7. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166(10):1092-7.
13. Kroenke K, Spitzer RL, Williams JBW. The PHQ-9: validity of a brief depression severity measure. J Gen Intern Med. 2001;16(9):606-13.
14. Schat ACH, Kelloway EK, Desmarais S. The Physical Health Questionnaire (PHQ): construct validation of a self-report scale of somatic symptoms. J Occup Health Psychol. 2005;10(4): 363-81.
15. Pourranjbar M, Poursoltani H, Khodadadi MR, Ghorbanzadeh B. A comparative study on general health status of athlete and non-athlete students in Kerman University of Medical Sciences (Sep. 2010- June 2011). Arch Appl Sci Res. 2012;4(1):623-31.
16. Craft LL, Freund KM, Culpepper L, Perna FM. Intervention study of exercise for depressive symptoms in women. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2007;16(10):1499-509.
17. Proctor SL, Boan-Lenzo C. Prevalence of depressive symptoms in male intercollegiate student-athletes and nonathletes. J Clin Sport Psychol. 2010;4(3):204- 20.
18. Weber S, Puta C, Lesinski M, Gabriel B, Steidten T, Bär KJ, et al. Symptoms of anxiety and depression in young athletes using the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. Front Physiol. 2018;9:182.
19. White D, Leach C, Sims R, Atkinson M, Cottrell D. Validation of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale for use with adolescents. Br J Psychiatry. 1999;175:452-4.
20. Jörngården A, Wettergen L, von Essen L. Measuring health-related quality of life in adolescents and young adults: Swedish normative data for the SF-36 and the HADS, and the influence of age, gender, and method of administration. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2006;4:91.
21. Brand R, Wolff W, Hoyer J. Psychological symptoms and chronic mood in representative samples of elite student-athletes, deselected student-athletes and comparison students. School Ment Health. 2013;5(3):166-74.
22. Chan YF, Leung DY, Fong DY, Leung CM, Lee AM. Psychometric evaluation of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale in a large community sample of adolescents in Hong Kong. Qual Life Res. 2010;19(6):865-73.
23. Krassas GE, Kelestimur F, Micic D, Tzotzas T, Konstandinidis T, Bougoulia M, et al. Self-reported prevalence of obesity among 20,329 adults from large territories of Greece, Serbia and Turkey. Hormones (Athens). 2003;2(1):49-54.
24. Wan Nudri WD, Wan Abdul Manan WM, Rusli AM. Body mass index and body fat status of men involved in sports, exercise, and sedentary activities. Malays J Med Sci. 2009;16(2):21-6.
25. Nikolaidis PT. Body mass index and body fat percentage are associated with decreased physical fitness in adolescent and adult female volleyball players. J Res Med Sci. 2013;18(1):22-6.
26. Lena Motallebi MS, Noorbakhsh M. Study the effect of participation in physical activity on mental health. Br J Sports Med. 2010;44(Suppl 1):i60.
27. Ruiz JR, Ortega FB, Castillo R, Martín-Matillas M, Kwak L, Vicente-Rodríguez G, et al. Physical activity, fitness, weight status, and cognitive performance in adolescents. J Pediatr. 2010; 157(6):917-22