Objective: Retrorectal tumors (presacral, precoccyxgeal) are rare, and remain a significant diagnostic and therapeutic challenge. The aim of this study was to describe the surgical experience of 1 hospital with retrorectal tumors.Methods: Twelve patients admitted to the Dr. Lutfi Kirdar Training and Research Hospital/Istanbul Department of General Surgery between January 2012 and December 2016 were included in our study. Medical records, radiology results, pathology reports, and surgical techniques were analyzed retrospectively.Results: Of the 12 patients evaluated, 10 were female and 2 were male. The mean age was 45 years (range: 31-65 years). Eight patients had masses of a congenital origin, 3 patients had masses of neurogenic origin, and 1 had an angiomyxomatous tumor. Both an anterior and posterior surgical approach were used.Conclusion: Complete removal of the tumor and preservation of neurological function remain major aspects of successful treatment. To achieve the best results, a multidisciplinary approach and correct planning are important
1. Heidenreich A, Decoud J, Lembrande RO, Rapela RO.Retrorectal Tumors and Tumor-Like Lesions: Diagnosis and Treatment. Dig Surg 1990;7:201–6.
2. García-Armengol J, García-Botello S, Martinez-Soriano F, Roig JV, Lledó S. Review of the anatomic concepts in relation to the retrorectal space and endopelvic fascia: Waldeyer’s fascia and the rectosacral fascia. Colorectal Dis 2008;10:298–302.
3. Uhlig BE, Johnson RL. Presacral tumors and cysts in adults. Dis Colon Rectum 1975;18:581–9.
4. Jao SW, Beart RW Jr, Spencer RJ, Reiman HM, Ilstrup DM. Retrorectal tumors. Mayo Clinic experience, 1960-1979. Dis Colon Rectum 1985;28:644–52.
5. Glasgow SC, Birnbaum EH, Lowney JK, Fleshman JW, Kodner IJ, Mutch DG, et al. Retrorectal tumors: a diagnostic and therapeutic challenge. Dis Colon Rectum 2005;48:1581–7.
6. Stewart RJ, Humphreys WG, Parks TG. The presentation and management of presacral tumours. Br J Surg 1986;73:153–5.
7. Strupas K, Poskus E, Ambrazevicius M. Retrorectal tumours: literature review and vilnius university hospital “santariskiu klinikos” experience of 14 cases. Eur J Med Res 2011;16:231–6.
8. Maddah G, Abdollahi A, Etemadrezaie H, Ganjeifar B, Gohari B, 226 South. Clin. Ist. Euras. Altın et al. Rarely Diagnosed Retrorectal Tumor 227 Abdollahi M, et al. Problems in Diagnosis and Treatment of Retrorectal Tumors: Our Experience in 50 Patients. Acta Med Iran 2016;54:644–50.
9. Rosenthal DI, Scott JA, Mankin HJ, Wismer GL, Brady TJ. Sacrococcygeal chordoma: magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1985;145:143–7.
10. Bullard KM, Rothenberger DA. Colon, rectum, and anus. In: Brunicardi FC, Andersen DK, Billiar TR, Dunn DL, Hunter JG, Matthew JB, et al., editors. Schwartz’s Principles of Surgery. 8th ed. New York: McGraw Hill Medical; 2005. p. 1095.
11. Hobson KG, Ghaemmaghami V, Roe JP, Goodnight JE, Khatri VP. Tumors of the retrorectal space. Dis Colon Rectum 2005;48:1964–74.
12. Verazin G, Rosen L, Khubchandani IT, Sheets JA, Stasik JJ, Riether R. Retrorectal tumor: is biopsy risky? South Med J 1986;79:1437–9.
13. Abel ME, Nelson R, Prasad ML, Pearl RK, Orsay CP, Abcarian H. Parasacrococcygeal approach for the resection of retrorectal developmental cysts. Dis Colon Rectum 1985;28:855–8.
14. Pidala MJ, Eisenstat TE, Rubin RJ, Salvati EP. Presacral cysts: transrectal excision in select patients. Am Surg 1999;65:112–5.
15. Aslan E. Transvaginal excision of a retrorectal tumor presenting as rectocele. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 2008;19:1715–7.
16. Gunkova P, Martinek L, Dostalik J, Gunka I, Vavra P, Mazur M. Laparoscopic approach to retrorectal cyst. World J Gastroenterol 2008;14:6581–3.
17. Chen Y, Xu H, Li Y, Li J, Wang D, Yuan J, et al. Laparoscopic resection of presacral teratomas. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2008;15:649– 51.
18. Zoller S, Joos A, Dinter D, Back W, Horisberger K, Post S, et al. Retrorectal tumors: excision by transanal endoscopic microsurgery. Rev Esp Enferm Dig 2007;99:547–50.