Objective: The outcomes of endoscopic enteral stent applications in left colon or rectal cancers were evaluated. Methods: All patients who received stent application between January 2016 and December 2017 for obstructive left colon and rectal cancers were retrospectively evaluated. Demographic data, obstructed side, indications, technical and clinical success of the procedure, and also mortality and morbidity rates were recorded. Results: Stents were successfully placed in 12 (85.7%) out of 14 cases. Eight cases received stents for bridge to elective surgery, whereas four had stents for palliative purposes. In one of the palliative cases, Hartman procedure was applied due to perforation at the proximal side of the stent after 3 months. The technical and clinical success rates were 85.7% and 91.7%, respectively. There was no mortality. Conclusion: Application of self-expanding metallic stent in patients with advanced stage obstructive colorectal cancer may be an alternative method compared with emergency surgeries. It can be safely and effectively performed and offers opportunities for palliative treatments and elective surgeries.
Amaç: Obstrüktif sol kolon ve rektum kanseri nedeniyle endoskopik bağırsak stent uyguladığımız hastaların sonuçlarını değerlendirmektir. Gereç ve Yöntem: Ocak 2016–Aralık 2017 tarihleri arasında obstrüktif sol kolon ve rektum tümörü nedeniyle endoskopik stent girişiminde bulunulan hastalar geriye dönük olarak irdelendi. Hastaların demografik özellikleri, ostrüksiyonun lokalizasyonu, endikasyon, uygulamanın teknik ve klinik başarısıyla birlikte mortalite ve morbidite oranları değerlendirildi. Bulgular: Stent uygulaması planlanan 14 hastanın 12’sinde başarı sağlandı (%85.7). Olguların sekizine elektif ameliyat için köprüleme, dördüne ise palyasyon amaçlı stent yerleştirildi. Palyatif amaçlı stentleme yapılan bir hasta stent uygulamasından üç ay sonra stentin proksimalinden perfore olduğu gözlendi ve bu hastaya Hartmann ameliyatı yapıldı. Teknik ve klinik başarı oranımız sırasıyla %85.7 ve %91.7 idi. Stent uygulamasına bağlı mortalite gözlenmedi. Sonuç: Kendiliğinden genişleyen metalik stent (SEMS) uygulaması ileri evre obstrüktif kolorektal tümörü olan hastalara gerek palyatif tedavi gerekse de elektif küratif cerrahi şansı vermesi nedeniyle acil cerrahi girişimlere alternatif güvenli ve etkili bir tedavi metodu olarak görülmektedir.
1. Riedl S, Wiebelt H, Bergmann U, Hermanek P Jr. Postoperative complications and fatalities in surgical therapy of colon carcinoma. Results of the German multicenter study by the Colorectal Carcinoma Study Group. [Article in German]. Chirurg 1995;66:597–606.
2. NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) guidelines. Colorectal cancer: The diagnosis and management of colorectal cancer. 2011. Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg131/ev idence/full-guideline-pdf-183509680. Accessed February 20, 2019.
3. Kim EJ, Kim YJ. Stents for colorectal obstruction: Past, present, and future. World J Gastroenterol 2016;22:842–52.
4. Keymling M. Colorectal stenting. Endoscopy 2003;35:234–8.
5. Altuntas YE, Aksakal N, Öncel M. Stent Application for Obstructive Left Colon and Upper Rectal Tumors: Current Status. Dis Colon Rectum 2011;21:49–56.
6. Tekkis PP, Kinsman R, Thompson MR, Stamatakis JD; Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain, Ireland. The association of coloproctology of great britain and ireland study of large bowel obstruction caused by colorectal cancer. Ann Surg 2004;240:76–81.
7. Kamocki ZK, Zaręba KP, Bandurski R, Baniukiewicz A, Wroblewski E, Gryko M, et al. Own experiences of endoscopic self-expandable stent placement for malignant colorectal ileus. Wideochir Inne Tech Malo Inwazyjne 2014;9:59–63.
8. Philips RK, Hittinger R, Fry JS, Fielding LP. Malignant large bowel obstruction. Br J Surg 1985;72:296–302.
9. Deans GT, Krukowski ZH, Irwin ST. Malignant obstruction of the left colon. Br J Surg 1994;81:1270–6.
10. van de Wall BJ, Draaisma WA, Schouten ES, Broeders IA, Consten EC. Conventional and laparoscopic reversal of the hartmann procedure: a review of literature. J Gastrointest Surg 2010;14:743–52.
11. Sebastian S, Johnston S, Geoghegan T, Torreggiani W, Buckley M. Pooled analysis of the efficacy and safety of self expanding metal stenting in malignant colorectal obstruction. Am J Gastroenterol 2004;99:2051–7.
12. Gürbulak B, Gürbulak EK, Akgün İE, Büyükaşık K, Bektaş H. Endoscopic stent placement in the management of malignant colonic obstruction: Experiences from two centers. Ulus Cerrahi Derg 2015;31:132–7.
13. Watt AM, Faragher IG, Griffin TT, Rieger NA, Maddern GJ. Selfexpanding metallic stents for relieving malignant colorectal obstruction. A systematic review. Ann Surg 2007;246:24–30.
14. Blake P, Delicata R, Cross N, Sturgeon G, Hargest R. Large bowel obstruction due to colorectal carcinoma can be safely treated by colonic stent insertion-case series from a UK district general hospital. Colorectal Dis 2012;14:1489–92.
15. Small AJ, Coelho-Prabhu N, Baron TH. Endoscopic placement of self-expandable metal stents for malignant colonic obstruction: long-term outcomes and complication factors. Gastrointest Endosc 2010;71:560–72.
16. Tilney HS, Lovegrove RE, Purkayastha S, Sains PS, WestonPetrides GK, Darzi AW, et al. Comparison of colonic stenting and open surgery for malignant large bowel obstruction. Surg Endosc 2007;21:225–33.
17. Wexner SD. Neoplastic disorders of the colon. In: Wexner SD, Stollman N, editors. Disease of the colon. 1st edition. New York: Informa Healthcare Inc; 2007. p. 489–506.
18. Otchy D, Hyman NH, Simmang C, Anthony T, Buie WD, Cataldo P, et al; Standards Practice Task Force; American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. Practice parameters for colon cancer. Dis Colon Rectum 2004;47:1269–84.
19. Kim MS, Park YJ. Detection and treatment of synchronous lesions in colorectal cancer: The clinical implication of perioperative colonoscopy. World J Gastroenterol 2007;13:4108–11.
20. Ansaloni, L, Andersson RE, Bazzoli F, Catena F, Cennamo V, Di Saverio S, et al. Guidelines in the management of obstructing cancer of the left colon: consensus conference of the world society of emergency surgery (WSES) and peritoneum and surgery (PnS) society. World J Emerg Surg 2010;5:29–38.
21. Targownik LE, Spiegel BM, Sack J, Hines OJ, Dulai GS, Gralnek IM, et al. Colonic stent vs. emergency surgery for management of acute left-sided malignant colonic obstruction: a decision analysis. Gastrointest Endosc 2004;60:865–74.