Objective: This study aimed to evaluate the efficacy of retrobulbar alcohol injections using the verbal analog scale (VAS) in patients with blind painful eyes due to late-stage neovascular glaucoma.Methods: A total of 20 eyes with severe pain due to neovascular glaucoma were injected with 95% ethyl alcohol in the retrobulbar area. On the basis of the number of injections, the patients were separated into group 1 (1 injection) or group 2 (≥2 injections). Pain scores and complication rates were compared between the two groups.Results: The pre-injection median VAS score was 9.00±0.61 with no difference between the two groups. On post-injection day 1, no difference was found in the median VAS scores between the two groups, although significant intergroup differences appeared at 1 and 6 months. Seven patients with VAS scores ≥5 in the follow-up were given additional injections. Four patients whose pain was not relieved after three injections underwent evisceration after 6 months. The median VAS scores were significantly lower in all patients at 12 months compared with the baseline. No difference was observed in the median VAS scores between the groups at the final follow-up. Complications included ptosis in five eyes and severe conjunctival chemosis in nine eyes.Conclusion: Retrobulbar alcohol injection is a safe and effective method for managing patients with neovascular glaucoma having severe pain that is refractory to medical treatment
1. Erie JC, Nevitt MP, Hodge D, Ballard DJ. Incidence of enucleation in a defined population. Am J Ophthalmol 1992;113:138–44.
2. Custer PL, Reistad CE. Enucleation of blind, painful eyes. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 2000;16:326–9.
3. Shah-Desai SD, Tyers AG, Manners RM. Painful blind eye: efficacy of enucleation and evisceration in resolving ocular pain. Br J Ophthal mol 2000;84:437–8.
4. Merbs SL. Management of a blind painful eye. Ophthalmol Clin North Am 2006;19:287–92.
5. al-Faran MF, al-Omar OM. Retrobulbar alcohol injection in blind painful eyes. Ann Ophthalmol 1990;22:460–2.
6. Maumenee AE. Retrobulbar alcohol injections; relief of ocular pain in eyes with and without vision. Am J Ophthalmol 1949;32:1502–8.
7. Olurin O, Osuntokun O. Complications of retrobulbar alcohol injections. Ann Ophthalmol 1978;10:474–6.
8. Ferrer-Brechner T. Anesthetic techniqus for the management of cancer pain. Cancer 1989;63(11 Suppl):2343–7.
9. Birch M, Strong N, Brittain P, Sandford-Smith J. Retrobulbar phenol injection in blind painful eyes. Ann Ophthalmol 1993;25:267–70.
10. Estafanous MF, Kaiser PK, Baerveldt G. Retrobulbar chlorpromazine in blind and seeing painful eyes. Retina 2000;20:555–8.
11. Chen TC, Ahn Yuen SJ, Sangalang MA, Fernando RE, Leuenberger EU. Retrobulbar chlorpromazine injections for the management of blind and seeing painful eyes. J Glaucoma 2002;11:209–13.
12. Al-Shamsi HN, Dueker DK, Nowilaty SR, Al-Shahwan SA. Neovascular glaucoma at king khaled eye specialist hospital - etiologic considerations. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol 2009;16:15–9.
13. Hayreh SS. Neovascular glaucoma. Prog Retin Eye Res 2007;26:470– 85.
14. Avery RL. Regression of retinal and iris neovascularization after intravitreal bevacizumab (Avastin) treatment. Retina 2006;26:352–4.
15. Parodi MB, Lacono P. Photodynamic therapy for neovascular glaucoma. Ophthalmology 2005;112:1844–45.
16. Delgado MF, Dickens CJ, Iwach AG, Novack GD, Nychka DS, Wong PC, et al. Long-term results of noncontact neodymium:yttrium-aluminum-garnet cyclophotocoagulation in neovascular glaucoma. Ophthalmology 2003;110:895–9.
17. Elgin U, Berker N, Batman A, Simsek T, Cankaya B. Trabeculectomy with mitomycin C combined with direct cauterization of peripheral iris in the management of neovascular glaucoma. J Glaucoma 2006;15:466–70.
18. Every SG, Molteno AC, Bevin TH, Herbison P. Long-term results of Molteno implant insertion in cases of neovascular glaucoma. Arch Ophthalmol 2006;124:355–60.
19. Eid TM, Radwan A, el-Manawy W, el-Hawary I. Intravitreal bevacizumab and aqueous shunting surgery for neovascular glaucoma: safety and efficacy. Can J Ophthalmol 2009;44:451–6.
20. Kumar CM, Dowd TC, Hawthorne M. Retrobulbar alcohol injection for orbital pain relief under difficult circumstances: a case report. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2006;35:260–5.
21. Çok OY, Eker HE, Cantürk S, Yaycioğlu R, Ariboğan A, Arslan G. Pain management in blind, painful eyes: clinical experience with retrobulbar alcohol injection in 4 cases. Agri 2011;23:43–6.
22. Skorin L Jr, Briggs KS, Multack RF. Spasmus nutans: a pediatric enigma. J Am Optom Assoc 1986;57:893–4.
23. Maza CE. A safer technique for retrobulbar alcohol injections. Ophthalmic Surg 1989;20:823.
24. May DR, May WN. Decreasing discomfort caused by retrobulbar alcohol injection. Am J Ophthalmol 1983;95:262–3.
25. Fiore C, Lupidi G, Santoni G. Retrobulbar injection of chlorpromazine in the absolute glaucoma (author’s transl). J Fr Ophtalmol 1980;3:397–9.
26. Margo CE, Wilson T. Orbital cellulitis after retrobulbar injection of chlorpromazine. Arch Ophthalmol 1993;111:1322.