Hypothalamic hamartomas (HHs) are congenital abnormalities. They are mostly marked by epileptic seizures and shown in epileptogenesis. Stereotactic radiosurgery (RS), microsurgical resection, endoscopic disconnection, and stereotactic radiofrequency thermocoagulation are considered as treatment options. Here we present a case of a patient with HH who was treated by CyberKnife RS and had a fatal course.
Hipotalamik hamartomlar epileptogenezde rolü olan ve çoğunlukla epileptik nöbetlerle kendini gösteren doğumsal anomalilerdir. Hipotalamik hamartomlarda sterotaktik radyocerrahi, mikrocerrahi rezeksiyon, endoskopik kopukluk, radyofrekans termokoagülasyon tedavi opsiyonlarıdır. Bu yazıda fatal seyreden CyberKnife ile tedavi edilmiş hipotalamik hamartom hastası sunuldu.
1. Coons SW, Rekate HL, Prenger EC, Wang N, Drees C, Ng YT, et al. The histopathology of hypothalamic hamartomas: study of 57 cases. J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 2007;66:131–41.
2. Pati S, Sollman M, Fife TD, Ng YT. Diagnosis and management of epilepsy associated with hypothalamic hamartoma: an evidencebased systematic review. J Child Neurol 2013;28:909–16.
3. McGonigal A, Sahgal A, De Salles A, Hayashi M, Levivier M, Ma L, et al. Radiosurgery for epilepsy: Systematic review and International Stereotactic Radiosurgery Society (ISRS) practice guideline. Epilepsy Res 2017;137:123–31.
4. Mittal S, Mittal M, Montes JL, Farmer JP, Andermann F. Hypothalamic hamartomas. Part 1. Clinical, neuroimaging, and neurophysiological characteristics. Neurosurg Focus 2013;34:E6.
5. Régis J, Lagmari M, Carron R, Hayashi M, McGonigal A, Daquin G, et al. Safety and efficacy of Gamma Knife radiosurgery in hypothalamic hamartomas with severe epilepsies: A prospective trial in 48 patients and review of the literature. Epilepsia 2017;58(Suppl 2):60–71.
6. Drees C, Chapman K, Prenger E, Baxter L, Maganti R, Rekate H, et al. Seizure outcome and complications following hypothalamic hamartoma treatment in adults: endoscopic, open, and Gamma Knife procedures. J Neurosurg 2012;117:255–61.
7. Régis J, Bartolomei F, de Toffol B, Genton P, Kobayashi T, Mori Y, et al. Gamma knife surgery for epilepsy related to hypothalamic hamartomas. Neurosurgery 2000;47:1343–51.
8. O’Connor L, Curl-Roper T, Reeves N, Kemeny AA, Josan VA. Image-defined resolution following radiosurgery for hypothalamic hamartoma. J Neurosurg Pediatrics 2013;11:464–8.