Objective: This study was designed to examine the effects of myricetin (Myr) on ovarian and lung tissue in rats with induced torsion-detorsion (TD) of bilateral ovaries to determine the potential to reduce oxidative damage. Methods: The study group comprised 32 female Wistar albino rats randomly allocated to 4 groups: sham, ovarian TD, Myr/25 (25 mg/kg dose of Myr+TD), and Myr/50 (50 mg/kg dose of Myr+TD). Results: The total oxidant status (TOS), malondialdehyde (MDA) level, oxidative stress index (OSI), and myeloperoxidase (MPO) activity in both ovarian and lung tissues increased significantly in the ovarian TD group compared with the sham group, while the superoxide dismutase (SOD) and total antioxidant status (TAS) values decreased in the same group. In contrast, the SOD level increased, while MPO activity, the TOS, the OSI, and the MDA level decreased significantly in the Myr/25 and Myr/50 groups. Conclusion: Myr demonstrated protection against lung and ovarian tissue injury in induced- TD experimental rats.
1. Huchon C, Fauconnier A. Adnexal torsion: a literature review. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2010;150:8–12.
2. Huang C, Hong MK, Ding DC. A review of ovary torsion. Ci Ji Yi Xue Za Zhi 2017;29:143–7.
3. Hibbard LT. Adnexal torsion. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1985;152:456– 61.
4. Rey-Bellet Gasser C, Gehri M, Joseph JM, Pauchard JY. Is It Ovarian Torsion? A Systematic Literature Review and Evaluation of Prediction Signs. Pediatr Emerg Care 2016;32:256–61
5. Yaman Tunc S, Agacayak E, Goruk NY, Icen MS, Turgut A, Alabalik U, et al. Protective effects of honokiol on ischemia/reperfusion injury of rat ovary: an experimental study. Drug Des Devel Ther 2016;10:1077–83.
6. Zimmerman BJ, Granger DN. Reperfusion injury. Surg Clin North Am 1992;72:65–83.
7. Kart A, Cigremis Y, Ozen H, Dogan O. Caffeic acid phenethyl ester prevents ovary ischemia/reperfusion injury in rabbits. Food Chem Toxicol 2009;47:1980–4.
8. Türk E, Karaca İ, Ozcinar E, Celebiler A, Aybek H, Ortac R, et al. The effect of hypothermia on adnexal torsion/detorsion injury in a rat ovary model. J Pediatr Surg 2015;50:1378–81.
9. Oguz A, Kapan M, Kaplan I, Alabalik U, Ulger BV, Uslukaya O, et al. The effects of sulforaphane on the liver and remote organ damage in hepatic ischemia-reperfusion model formed with pringle maneuver in rats. Int J Surg 2015;18:163–8.
10. Sahna E, Türk G, Atessahin A, Yilmaz S, Olmez E. Remote organ injury induced by myocardial ischemia and reperfusion on reproductive organs, and protective effect of melatonin in male rats. Fertil Steril 2007;88:188–92.
11. Ross JA, Kasum CM. Dietary flavonoids: bioavailability, metabolic effects, and safety. Annu Rev Nutr 2002;22:19–34.
12. Jung HY, Lee D, Ryu HG, Choi BH, Go Y, Lee N, et al. Myricetin improves endurance capacity and mitochondrial density by activating SIRT1 and PGC-1α. Sci Rep 2017;7:6237.
13. Wang SJ, Tong Y, Lu S, Yang R, Liao X, Xu YF, et al. Anti-inflammatory activity of myricetin isolated from Myrica rubra Sieb. et Zucc. leaves. Planta Med 2010;76:1492–6.
14. Ekinci Akdemir FN, Yildirim S, Kandemir FM, Gülçin İ, Küçükler S, Sağlam YS, et al. The effects of casticin and myricetin on liver damage induced by methotrexate in rats. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2018;21:1281–8.
15. Wang B, Zhong Y, Gao C, Li J. Myricetin ameliorates scopolamine-induced memory impairment in mice via inhibiting acetylcholinesterase and down-regulating brain iron. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2017;490:336–42.
16. Godse S, Mohan M, Kasture V, Kasture S. Effect of myricetin on blood pressure and metabolic alterations in fructose hypertensive rats. Pharm Biol 2010;48:494–8.
17. Ma Z, Wang G, Cui L, Wang Q. Myricetin Attenuates Depressant- Like Behavior in Mice Subjected to Repeated Restraint Stress. Int J Mol Sci 2015;16:28377–85.
18. Silva LN, Da Hora GCA, Soares TA, Bojer MS, Ingmer H, Macedo AJ, et al. Myricetin protects Galleria mellonella against Staphylococcus aureus infection and inhibits multiple virulence factors. Sci Rep 2017;7:2823.
19. Sun Y, Lian M, Lin Y, Xu B, Li Y, Wen J, et al. Role of p-MKK7 in myricetin-induced protection against intestinal ischemia/reperfusion injury. Pharmacol Res 2018;129:432–42.
20. Ekinci Akdemir FN, Yildirim S, Kandemir FM, Tanyeli A, Kucukler S, Bahaeddin Dortbudak M. Protective effects of gallic acid on doxorubicin- induced cardiotoxicity; an experimantal study. Arch Physiol Biochem 2019:1-8.
21. Sun Y, Oberley LW, Li Y. A simple method for clinical assay of superoxide dismutase. Clin Chem 1988;34:497–500.
22. Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem 1979;95:351–8.
23. Bradley PP, Priebat DA, Christensen RD, Rothstein G. Measurement of cutaneous inflammation: estimation of neutrophil content with an enzyme marker. J Invest Dermatol 1982;78:206–9.
24. Eser A, Hizli D, Haltas H, Namuslu M, Kosus A, Kosus N, et al. Effects of curcumin on ovarian ischemia-reperfusion injury in a rat model. Biomed Rep 2015;3:807–13.
25. Taskin O, Birincioglu M, Aydin A, Buhur A, Burak F, Yilmaz I, et al. The effects of twisted ischaemic adnexa managed by detorsion on ovarian viability and histology: an ischaemia-reperfusion rodent model. Hum Reprod 1998;13:2823–7.
26. McCord JM. Oxygen-derived free radicals in postischemic tissue injury. N Engl J Med 1985;312:159–63.
27. Grace PA. Ischaemia-reperfusion injury. Br J Surg 1994;81:637–47.
28. Kisaoglu A, Borekci B, Yapca OE, Bilen H, Suleyman H. Tissue damage and oxidant/antioxidant balance. Eurasian J Med 2013;45:47–9.
29. Rabus M, Demirbağ R, Sezen Y, Konukoğlu O, Yildiz A, Erel O, et al. Plasma and tissue oxidative stress index in patients with rheumatic and degenerative heart valve disease. Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars 2008;36:536–40.
30. Erel O. A new automated colorimetric method for measuring total oxidant status. Clin Biochem 2005;38:1103–11.
31. Arosio B, Gagliano N, Fusaro LM, Parmeggiani L, Tagliabue J, Galetti P, et al. Aloe-Emodin quinone pretreatment reduces acute liver injury induced by carbon tetrachloride. Pharmacol Toxicol 2000;87:229–33.
32. Zhang N, Feng H, Liao HH, Chen S, Yang Z, Deng W, et al. Myricetin attenuated LPS induced cardiac injury in vivo and in vitro. Phytother Res 2018;32:459–70.
33. Liao HH, Zhu JX, Feng H, Ni J, Zhang N, Chen S, et al. Myricetin Possesses Potential Protective Effects on Diabetic Cardiomyopathy through Inhibiting IκBα/NFκB and Enhancing Nrf2/HO-1. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2017;2017:8370593.
34. El-Haleem MR, Kattaia AA, El-Baset SA, Mostafa Hel S. Alleviative effect of myricetin on ochratoxin A-induced oxidative stress in rat renal cortex: histological and biochemical study. Histol Histopathol 2016;31:441–51.
35. Sozer S, Diniz G, Lermioglu F. Effects of celecoxib in young rats: histopathological changes in tissues and alterations of oxidative stress/antioxidant defense system. Arch Pharm Res 2011;34:253–9.
36. Girotti AW. Lipid hydroperoxide generation, turnover, and effector action in biological systems. J Lipid Res 1998;39:1529–42.
37. Laganà AS, Sofo V, Salmeri FM, Palmara VI, Triolo O, Terzić MM, et al. Oxidative Stress during Ovarian Torsion in Pediatric and Adolescent Patients: Changing The Perspective of The Disease. Int J Fertil Steril 2016;9:416–23.
38. Devi KP, Rajavel T, Habtemariam S, Nabavi SF, Nabavi SM. Molecular mechanisms underlying anticancer effects of myricetin. Life Sci 2015;142:19–25.
39. Mendes V, Vilaça R, de Freitas V, Ferreira PM, Mateus N, Costa V. Effect of myricetin, pyrogallol, and phloroglucinol on yeast resistance to oxidative stress. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2015;2015:782504.
40. Majid M, Khan MR, Shah NA, Ul Haq I, Farooq MA, Ullah S, et al. Studies on phytochemical, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities of Euphorbia dracunculoides. BMC Complement Altern Med 2015;15:349.
41. Laabich A, Manmoto CC, Kuksa V, Leung DW, Vissvesvaran GP, Karliga I, et al. Protective effects of myricetin and related flavonols against A2E and light mediated-cell death in bovine retinal primary cell culture. Exp Eye Res 2007;85:154–65.
42. Shimmyo Y, Kihara T, Akaike A, Niidome T, Sugimoto H. Three distinct neuroprotective functions of myricetin against glutamateinduced neuronal cell death: involvement of direct inhibition of caspase- 3. J Neurosci Res 2008;86:1836–45.
43. Sun L, Xu P, Fu T, Huang X, Song J, Chen M, et al. Myricetin against ischemic cerebral injury in rat middle cerebral artery occlusion model. Mol Med Rep 2018;17:3274–80.
44. Van Antwerpen P, Boudjeltia KZ, Babar S, Legssyer I, Moreau P, Moguilevsky N, et al. Thiol-containing molecules interact with the myeloperoxidase/H2O2/chloride system to inhibit LDL oxidation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2005;337:82–8.
45. Zhao J, Hong T, Dong M, Meng Y, Mu J. Protective effect of myricetin in dextran sulphate sodium-induced murine ulcerative colitis. Mol Med Rep 2013;7:565–70.