Objective: The present study aims to investigate the excessive daytime sleepiness in patients with hypothyroidism and in the healthy control group using the Epworth sleepiness scale. Methods: This study was completed with 127 people, 75 of whom were hypothyroidism and 52 were control group. Age, height, weight, body mass index, waist circumference, systolic and diastolic blood pressure of the all participants were recorded. Thyroid hormone tests and biochemical parameters were examined in the morning. Epworth Sleepiness Scale was used to measure daytime sleepiness. Results: Epworth Sleepiness Scale scores were 7.3±0.7 in the hypothyroid group and 6.4±0.4 in the control group, and there was no significant difference between the groups (p=0.703). Weight (p
Amaç: Bu çalışmadaki amacımız hipotiroidi tanısı almış hastalarda ve sağlıklı kontrol grubunda Epworth uykululuk ölçeğini kullanarak gündüz aşırı uykululuğunu araştırmaktır. Gereç ve Yöntem: Yetmiş beşi hipotiroidi, 52’si kontrol grubu olmak üzere 127 kişi ile çalışma tamamlandı. Tüm katılımcıların yaş, boy, kilo, vücut kitle indeksi, bel çevresi, sistolik ve diyastolik kan basıncı kaydedildi. Tiroit hormon testleri ve biyokimyasal parametrelere sabah aç olarak bakıldı. Gündüz aşırı uykululuğu ölçmek için Epworth Uykululuk Ölçeği kullanıldı. Bulgular: Epworth Uykululuk Ölçeği puanları hipotiroidili grupta 7.3±0.7 kontrol grubunda ise 6.4±0.4 olarak bulundu, gruplar arasında anlamlı farklılık yoktu (p=0.703). Hipotiroidi olan grupta kontrol grubuna göre kilo (p
1. Sağlam F, Çakır B. Clinical Approach To Thyroid Diseases In Primary Health Care. Ankara MedicalJournal 2012;12:136–9.
2. Türkiye Endokrinoloji ve Metabolizma Derneği. Available at: http:// temd.org.tr/admin/uploads/tbl_kilavuz/201904261653402019tbl_ kilavuze72e4ddf38.pdf. Accessed Feb 11, 2020.
3. Vanderpump MP, Tunbridge WM. Epidemiology and prevention of clinical and subclinical hypothyroidism. Thyroid 2002;12:839–47.
4. Şen H, Dönderici Ö, Cengiz O, Cansaran S, Türker İ. Prevalence Of Subclınıcal Hypothyroıdısm In Dyslıpıdemıc Patıents. Turkiye Klinikleri J Med Sci 2007;27:344–9.
5. Arand D, Bonnet M, Hurwitz T, Mitler M, Rosa R, Sangal RB. The clinical use of the MSLT and MWT. Sleep 2005;28:123–44.
6. Takenoshita S, Nishino S. Pharmacologic management of excessive daytime sleepiness. Sleep Med Clin 2017;12:461–78.
7. Selvi Y, Kandeğer A, Sayın AA. Excessive Daytime Sleepiness. Current Approaches in Psychiatry 2016;8:114–32.
8. Vgontzas AN, Legro RS, Bixler EO, Grayev A, Kales A, Chrousos GP. Polycystic ovary syndrome is associated with obstructive sleep apnea and daytime sleepiness: role of insülin resistance. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001;86:517–20.
9. Fernandez-Mendoza J, Vgontzas AN, Kritikou I, Calhoun SL, Liao D, Bixler EO. Natural history of excessive daytime sleepiness: role of obesity, weightloss, depression, and sleep propensity. Sleep 2015;38:351–60.
10. Barger LK, Lockley SW, Rajaratnam SM, Landrigan CP. Neurobehavioral, health, and safety consequences associated with shiftwork in safety-sensitive professions. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 2009;9:155– 64.
11. Bixler EO, Vgontzas AN, Lin HM, Calhoun SL, Vela-Bueno A, Kales A. Excessive daytime sleepiness in a general population sample: the role of sleep apnea, age, obesity, diabetes, and depression. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2005;90:4510–5.
12. Grossi G, Perski A, Evengård B, Blomkvist V, Orth-Gomér K. Physiological correlates of burn out among women. J Psychosom Res 2003;55:309–16.
13. Wilsmore BR, Grunstein RR, Fransen M, Woodward M, Norton R, Ameratunga S. Sleep habits, insomnia, and daytime sleepiness in a large and healthy community-based sample of New Zealanders. J Clin Sleep Med 2013;9:559–66.
14. Hayley AC, Williams LJ, Berk M, Kennedy GA, Jacka FN, Pasco JA. The relationship between excessive daytime sleepiness and depressive and anxiety disorders in women. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2013;47:772–8.
15. Hein M, Lanquart JP, Loas G, Hubain P, Linkowski P. Prevalence and risk factors of excessive daytime sleepiness in majör depression: a study with 703 individuals referred for polysomnography. J Affect Disord 2019;243:23–32.
16. Shen Y, Meng F, Tan SN, Zhang Y, Anderiescu EC, Abeysekera RE, et al. Excessive daytime sleepiness in medical students of Hunan province: Prevalence, correlates, and its relationship with suicidal behaviors. J Affect Disord 2019;255:90–5.
17. Young T, Palta M, Dempsey J, Skatrud J, Weber S, Badr S. The occurrence of sleep-disordered breathing among middle age adults. N Engl J Med 1993;328:1230–5.
18. Muşlu C, Baltacı D, Kutanis R, Kara İH. Quality of Life, Anxiety and Depression in NursesWorking at Primary Health Care and Hospitals. Konuralp Tıp Dergisi 2012;4:17–23.
19. Ağargün MY, Çilli AS, Kara H, Bilici M, Telcioğlu M, Semiz ÜB, Başoğlu C. Epworth Uykululuk Ölçeği’nin geçerliği ve güvenirliği. Turk Psikiyatri Derg 1999;10:261–8.
20. Demir G. Daytime sleepiness and related factors in nursing students. Nurse Educ Today 2017;59:21–5.
21. Johnson KM, Simon N, Wicks M, Barr K, O’Connor K, Schaad D. Amount of sleep, daytime sleepiness, hazardous driving, and quality of life of second year medical students. Acad Psychiatry 2017;41:669–73.
22. Alzahrani JM, Aldossari KK, Abdulmajeed I, Alghamdi SH, Alshamrani AM, Alqahtani NS. Daytime sleepiness and academic performance among Arab medical students. Health Sci J 2016;10:1–5
23. Huang CF, Yang LY, Wu LM, Liu Y, Chen HM. Determinants of daytime sleepiness in first-year nursing students: a questionnaire survey. Nurse Educ Today 2014;34:1048–53.
24. El Hangouche AJ, Jniene A, Aboudrar S, Errguig L, Rkain H, Cherti M, et al. Relationship between poor quality sleep, excessive daytime sleepiness and low academic performance in medical students. Adv Med Educ Pract 2018;9:631–8.
25. Machado-Duque ME, Echeverri Chabur JE, Machado-Alba JE. Excessive daytime sleepiness, poor quality sleep, and low academic performance in medical students. [Article in Spanish] Rev Colomb Psiquiatr 2015;44:137–42.
26. Mirghani HO, Ahmed MA, Elbadawi AS. Daytime sleepiness and chronic sleep deprivation effects on academic performance among the Sudanese medical students. J Taibah Univ Med Sci 2015;10:467–70.
27. Pagnin D, de Queiroz V, Carvalho YT, Dutra AS, Amaral MB, Queiroz TT. The relation between burn out and sleep disorders in medical students. A Acad Psychiatry 2014;38:438–44.
28. Zailinawati AH, Teng CL, Chung YC, Teow TL, Lee PN, Jagmohni KS. Daytime sleepiness and sleep quality among Malaysian medical students. Med J Malaysia 2009;64:108–10.
29. Johns MW. A new method for measuring daytime sleepiness: the Epworth sleepiness scale. Sleep 1991;14:540–5.
30. Abassi MR, Safavi A, Haghverdi M, Saedi B. Sleep Disorders in ESRD Patients Undergoing Hemodialysis. Acta Med Iran 2016;54:176–84.
31. Shinno H, Ishikawa I, Yamanaka M, Usui A, Danjo S, Inami Y, et al. Effect of levothyroxine on prolonged nocturnal sleep time and excessive daytime somnolence in patients with idiopathic hypersomnia. Sleep Med 2011;12:578–83.
32. Shinno H, Inami Y, Inagaki T, Kawamukai T, Utani E, Nakamura Y, et al. Successful treatment with levothyroxine for idiopathic hypersomnia patients with subclinical hypothyroidism. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2009;31:190–3.
33. Misiolek M, Marek B, Namyslowski G, Scierski W, Zwirska-Korczala K, Kazmierczak-Zagorska Z, et al. Sleep apnea syndrome and snoring in patients with hypothyroidism with relation to overweight. J Physiol Pharmacol 2007;58:77–85.