To investigate the protective effect of Tarantula Cubensis D6 (TCD) on inflammation and oxidative stress in rat cecal ligation and puncture (CLP) in modified polymicrobial sepsis model. Wistar albino rats were randomly divided into 4 groups: sham control group, sepsis (CLP) group, low dose TCD + CLP group, and high dose TCD + CLP group. Lung tissue samples of rats were prepared to determine levels of some cytokines related to inflammation, oxidant/antioxidant parameters apoptosis markers. In addition, lung, liver, renal, and heart tissue samples of rats were prepared to determine colony counts of E. coli. We showed that Tarantula cubensis D6 significantly reduced the increasing TNF-α, IL-1β, IL-6, TOS, OSI levels in the CLP group compared to the sham control group, and causes an increase in the decreasing TAS value and significantly reduces caspase-3 and NF-KB expressions. We determined that while E. coli colony counts increased in organs such as lung, heart, liver, and kidney in the CLP group, it was decreased in TCD groups. TCD reduces polymicrobial sepsis-induced lung injury through antioxidant, antiapoptotic, and antioxidant effects.
1. Dellinger RP, Levy MM, Rhodes A, Annane D, Gerlach H, Opal SM, et al. Surviving Sepsis Campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock, 2012. Intensive care medicine. 2013 Feb;39(2):165-228.
2. Vincent JL, Opal SM, Marshall JC, Tracey KJ. Sepsis definitions: time for change. Lancet (London, England). 2013 Mar 02;381(9868):774-5.
3. Brooks HF, Moss RF, Davies NA, Jalan R, Davies DC. Caecal ligation and puncture induced sepsis in the rat results in increased brain water content and perimicrovessel oedema. Metabolic brain disease. 2014 Sep;29(3):837-43.
4. Curley G, Hayes M, Laffey JG. Can ‘permissive’ hypercapnia modulate the severity of sepsis-induced ALI/ARDS? Critical care (London, England). 2011;15(2):212.
5. MacCallum NS, Evans TW. Epidemiology of acute lung injury. Current opinion in critical care. 2005 Feb;11(1):43-9.
6. Ang SF, Moochhala SM, MacAry PA, Bhatia M. Hydrogen sulfide and neurogenic inflammation in polymicrobial sepsis: involvement of substance P and ERK-NF-kappaB signaling. PloS one. 2011;6(9):e24535.
7. Li K, Yang J, Han X. Ketamine attenuates sepsis-induced acute lung injury via regulation of HMGB1-RAGE pathways. International immunopharmacology. 2016 May;34:114-28.
8. Babayigit H, Kucuk C, Sozuer E, Yazici C, Kose K, Akgun H. Protective effect of beta-glucan on lung injury after cecal ligation and puncture in rats. Intensive care medicine. 2005 Jun;31(6):865-70.
9. Pi J, Zhang Q, Fu J, Woods CG, Hou Y, Corkey BE, et al. ROS signaling, oxidative stress and Nrf2 in pancreatic beta-cell function. Toxicology and applied pharmacology. 2010 Apr 01;244(1):77-83.
10. Maritim AC, Sanders RA, Watkins JB, 3rd. Diabetes, oxidative stress, and antioxidants: a review. Journal of biochemical and molecular toxicology. 2003;17(1):24-38.
11. Schulte J, Struck J, Kohrle J, Muller B. Circulating levels of peroxiredoxin 4 as a novel biomarker of oxidative stress in patients with sepsis. Shock (Augusta, Ga). 2011 May;35(5):460-5.
12. Mishra V. Oxidative stress and role of antioxidant supplementation in critical illness. Clinical laboratory. 2007;53(3-4):199-209.
13. Richardson-Boedler C. The brown spider Loxosceles laeta: source of the remedy Tarentula cubensis? Homeopathy : the journal of the Faculty of Homeopathy. 2002 Jul;91(3):166-70.
14. Lotfollahzadeh S, Alizadeh MR, Mohri M, Mokhber Dezfouli MR. The therapeutic effect of Tarentula cubensis extract (Theranekron(R)) in foot-and-mouth disease in cattle: a randomised trial in an endemic setting. Homeopathy : the journal of the Faculty of Homeopathy. 2012 Jul;101(3):159-64.
15. Dolapcioglu K, Dogruer G, Ozsoy S, Ergun Y, Ciftci S, Soylu Karapinar O, et al. Theranekron for treatment of endometriosis in a rat model compared with medroxyprogesterone acetate and leuprolide acetate. European journal of obstetrics, gynecology, and reproductive biology. 2013 Sep;170(1):206-10.
16. Erel O. A new automated colorimetric method for measuring total oxidant status. Clinical biochemistry. 2005 Dec;38(12):1103-11.
17. Aksak Karamese S, Toktay E, Unal D, Selli J, Karamese M, Malkoc I. The protective effects of beta-carotene against ischemia/reperfusion injury in rat ovarian tissue. Acta histochemica. 2015 Oct;117(8):790-7.
18. Tarık Sırça AÖ, Murat Kapan, Recep Tekin, Uğur Fırat, Osman Evliyaoğlu, Fatih Taşkesen. Bacterial translocation and inflammatory alterations in an experimental intestinal obstruction model in splenectomized rats. Turk J Surg. 2012;28 1-7.
19. Fleischmann C, Scherag A, Adhikari NK, Hartog CS, Tsaganos T, Schlattmann P, et al. Assessment of Global Incidence and Mortality of Hospital-treated Sepsis. Current Estimates and Limitations. American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine. 2016 Feb 1;193(3):259-72.
20. Stoller J, Halpin L, Weis M, Aplin B, Qu W, Georgescu C, et al. Epidemiology of severe sepsis: 2008-2012. Journal of critical care. 2016 Feb;31(1):58-62.
21. Schlichting D, McCollam JS. Recognizing and managing severe sepsis: a common and deadly threat. Southern medical journal. 2007 Jun;100(6):594-600.
22. Ranieri VM, Rubenfeld GD, Thompson BT, Ferguson ND, Caldwell E, Fan E, et al. Acute respiratory distress syndrome: the Berlin Definition. Jama. 2012 Jun 20;307(23):2526-33.
23. Matthay MA, Ware LB, Zimmerman GA. The acute respiratory distress syndrome. The Journal of clinical investigation. 2012 Aug;122(8):2731-40.
24. Angus DC, van der Poll T. Severe sepsis and septic shock. The New England journal of medicine. 2013 Nov 21;369(21):2063.25.
25. Wheeler AP, Bernard GR, Thompson BT, Schoenfeld D, Wiedemann HP, deBoisblanc B, et al. Pulmonary-artery versus central venous catheter to guide treatment of acute lung injury. The New England journal of medicine. 2006 May 25;354(21):2213-24.
26. Hotchkiss RS, Coopersmith CM, McDunn JE, Ferguson TA. The sepsis seesaw: tilting toward immunosuppression. Nature medicine. 2009 May;15(5):496-7.
27. Gorbunov NV, Garrison BR, McDaniel DP, Zhai M, Liao PJ, Nurmemet D, et al. Adaptive redox response of mesenchymal stromal cells to stimulation with lipopolysaccharide inflammagen: mechanisms of remodeling of tissue barriers in sepsis. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity. 2013;2013:186795.
28. Fan HY, Qi D, Yu C, Zhao F, Liu T, Zhang ZK, et al. Paeonol protects endotoxin-induced acute kidney injury: potential mechanism of inhibiting TLR4-NF-kappaB signal pathway. Oncotarget. 2016 Jun 28;7(26):39497-510.
29. Gerin F, Sener U, Erman H, Yilmaz A, Aydin B, Armutcu F, et al. The Effects of Quercetin on Acute Lung Injury and Biomarkers of Inflammation and Oxidative Stress in the Rat Model of Sepsis. Inflammation. 2016 Apr;39(2):700-5.
30. Alter P, Rupp H, Maisch B. Activated nuclear transcription factor kappaB in patients with myocarditis and dilated cardiomyopathy--relation to inflammation and cardiac function. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006 Jan 06;339(1):180-7.
31. Zhang D, Cai Y, Chen M, Gao L, Shen Y, Huang Z. OGT-mediated O-GlcNAcylation promotes NF-kappaB activation and inflammation in acute pancreatitis. Inflammation research : official journal of the European Histamine Research Society [et al]. 2015 Dec;64(12):943-52.
32. Zhang K, Jiao XF, Li JX, Wang XW. Rhein inhibits lipopolysaccharide-induced intestinal injury during sepsis by blocking the toll-like receptor 4 nuclear factor-kappaB pathway. Molecular medicine reports. 2015 Sep;12(3):4415-21.
33. Yu C, Qi D, Sun JF, Li P, Fan HY. Rhein prevents endotoxin-induced acute kidney injury by inhibiting NF-kappaB activities. Scientific reports. 2015 Jul 07;5:11822.
34. Zhao H, Liu Z, Shen H, Jin S, Zhang S. Glycyrrhizic acid pretreatment prevents sepsis-induced acute kidney injury via suppressing inflammation, apoptosis and oxidative stress. European journal of pharmacology. 2016 Jun 15;781:92-9.
35. Dellinger RP, Levy MM, Rhodes A, Annane D, Gerlach H, Opal SM, et al. Surviving sepsis campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2012. Critical care medicine. 2013 Feb;41(2):580-637.
36. Schouten LR, Schultz MJ, van Kaam AH, Juffermans NP, Bos AP, Wosten-van Asperen RM. Association between Maturation and Aging and Pulmonary Responses in Animal Models of Lung Injury: A Systematic Review. Anesthesiology. 2015 Aug;123(2):389-408.
37. Villar J, Sulemanji D, Kacmarek RM. The acute respiratory distress syndrome: incidence and mortality, has it changed? Current opinion in critical care. 2014 Feb;20(1):3-9.
38. GÜRBULAK K, Akcay A, GÜMÜŞSOY KS, Sist B, Steiner S, Abay M, et al. Investigation of the efficacy of Tarantula cubensis extract (Theranekron D6) in the treatment of subclinical and clinical mastitis in dairy cows. Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences. 2014;38(6):712-8.
39. Duz E, Icen H, Arserrim NB, Cakmak F, Bakir B, Uysal E. Comparison of classic, Theranekron and classic-plus Theranekron treatment on the foot and mouth disease lesions in cattle in Van, Diyarbakir and Ankara Regions in Turkey. Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances. 2012;11(18):3258-61.
40. Albay MK, Şahinduran Ş, Kale M, Karakurum MÇ, Sezer K. Influence of Tarantula cubensis extract on the treatment of the oral lesions in cattle with bluetongue disease. 2010.
41. Goode HF, Webster NR. Free radicals and antioxidants in sepsis. Critical care medicine. 1993 Nov;21(11):1770-6.
42. Nguyen HB, Rivers EP, Abrahamian FM, Moran GJ, Abraham E, Trzeciak S, et al. Severe sepsis and septic shock: review of the literature and emergency department management guidelines. Annals of emergency medicine. 2006 Jul;48(1):28-54.
43. Goode HF, Webster NR. Free-Radicals and Antioxidants in Sepsis. Crit Care Med. 1993 Nov;21(11):1770-6.
44. Zhai Y, Zhou X, Dai Q, Fan Y, Huang X. Hydrogen-rich saline ameliorates lung injury associated with cecal ligation and puncture-induced sepsis in rats. Experimental and molecular pathology. 2015 Apr;98(2):268-76.
45. Karabacak M, Eraslan G, Kanbur M, Sarıca ZS. Effects of Tarantula cubensis D6 on aflatoxin-induced injury in biochemical parameters in rats. Homeopathy : the journal of the Faculty of Homeopathy. 2015;104(3):205-10.
46. Paksoy Z, Gülesci N, Kandemir FM, Dinçel GÇ. Effectiveness of levamisole and tarantula cubensis extract in the treatment of teat Papillomatosis of cows. Indian Journal of Animal Research. 2015;49(5):704-8.47.
47. Zhang Y, Ren J. Targeting autophagy for the therapeutic application of histone deacetylase inhibitors in ischemia/reperfusion heart injury. Circulation. 2014 Mar 11;129(10):1088-91.
48. Denault JB, Eckelman BP, Shin H, Pop C, Salvesen GS. Caspase 3 attenuates XIAP (X-linked inhibitor of apoptosis protein)-mediated inhibition of caspase 9. The Biochemical journal. 2007 Jul 1;405(1):11-9. 49. Martin SJ, Green DR. Protease activation during apoptosis: death by a thousand cuts? Cell. 1995 Aug 11;82(3):349-52.
50. Salvesen GS, Dixit VM. Caspases: intracellular signaling by proteolysis. Cell. 1997 Nov 14;91(4):443-6.
51. Torkin R, Lavoie JF, Kaplan DR, Yeger H. Induction of caspase-dependent, p53-mediated apoptosis by apigenin in human neuroblastoma. Molecular cancer therapeutics. 2005 Jan;4(1):1-11.
52. Tsao CM, Jhang JG, Chen SJ, Ka SM, Wu TC, Liaw WJ, et al. Adjuvant potential of selegiline in attenuating organ dysfunction in septic rats with peritonitis. PloS one. 2014;9(9):e108455.
53. ER A, Corum O, Corum D, Hitit M, Donmez H, Guzeloglu A. Alcoholic extract of Tarantula cubensis induces apoptosis in MCF-7 cell line. Biomedical Research (0970-938X). 2017;28(8).
54. Gultiken N, Guvenc T, Kaya D, Agaoglu AR, Ay SS, Kucukaslan I, et al. Tarantula cubensis extract alters the degree of apoptosis and mitosis in canine mammary adenocarcinomas. Journal of veterinary science. 2015;16(2):213-9.
55. Polat G, Ugan RA, Cadirci E, Halici Z. Sepsis and Septic Shock: Current Treatment Strategies and New Approaches. The Eurasian journal of medicine. 2017 Feb;49(1):53-8.
56. Toscano MG, Ganea D, Gamero AM. Cecal ligation puncture procedure. Journal of visualized experiments : JoVE. 2011 May 07(51).
57. Fink MP. Animal models of sepsis and its complications. Kidney international. 2008 Oct;74(8):991-3.
58. Remick DG, Newcomb DE, Bolgos GL, Call DR. Comparison of the mortality and inflammatory response of two models of sepsis: lipopolysaccharide vs. cecal ligation and puncture. Shock (Augusta, Ga). 2000 Feb;13(2):110-6.
59. Rittirsch D, Hoesel LM, Ward PA. The disconnect between animal models of sepsis and human sepsis. Journal of leukocyte biology. 2007 Jan;81(1):137-43.
60. Deng D, Li X, Liu C, Zhai Z, Li B, Kuang M, et al. Systematic investigation on the turning point of over-inflammation to immunosuppression in CLP mice model and their characteristics. International immunopharmacology. 2017 Jan;42:49-58.