diabetes in adults between 20-80 years of age in Cyprus but data regarding this incidence in the pediatric population is lacking. The objective of this study was to report the incidence of T1D among permanent inhabitants aged 16 years or younger between 2001-2016 in Cyprus. Methods: This study was a retrospective analysis. The patients were mainly evaluated and recorded at Dr. Burhan Nalbantoğlu Hospital, Nicosia. Data was also reviewed from Famagusta Government Hospital, Kyrenia Government Hospital, Near East University Hospital and the Cyprus Turkish Diabetes Association. Results: A total of 107 subjects were diagnosed as T1D between 2001 and 2016 in the pediatric age group. Forty-nine (45.7%) were girls and 58 (54.3%) were boys. Of these 38.7% were resident in Nicosia, 30.2% Famagusta, 12.3% Kyrenia, 9.4% Guzelyurt and 7.5% Iskele. The proportion of newly diagnosed T1D was highest among children aged 9-12 years (35.5%) followed by children aged 5-8 years (32.7%). Newly diagnosed T1D most frequently presented in March and April. The overall mean incidence rate was 11.1/100,000 between 2001 and 2016. The incidence rates were similar and comparable among the years. Conclusion: This study is the first to analyze the incidence of T1D in Cyprus. Compared to other countries the incidence rate is intermediate. Our findings are similar to the incidence rates of T1D in South Cyprus and Turkey.
1. Atkinson MA, Eisenbarth GS. Type 1 diabetes: new perspectives on disease pathogenesis and treatment. Lancet 2001;358:221-229.
2. Poyrazoğlu Ş, Bundak R, Yavaş Abalı Z, Önal H, Sarıkaya S, Akgün A, Baş S, Abalı S, Bereket A, Eren E, Tarım Ö, Güven A, Yıldız M, Karaman Aksakal D, Yüksel A, Seymen Karabulut G, Hatun Ş, Özgen T, Cesur Y, Azizoğlu M, Dilek E, Tütüncüler F, Papatya Çakır E, Özcabı B, Evliyaoğlu O, Karadeniz S, Dursun F, Bolu S, Arslanoğlu İ, Yeşiltepe Mutlu G, Kırmızıbekmez H, İşgüven P, Üstyol A, Adal E, Uçar A, Cebeci N, Bezen D, Binay Ç, Semiz S, Korkmaz HA, Memioğlu N, Sağsak E, Peltek HN30, Yıldız M, Akçay T, Turan S, Güran T, Atay Z, Akcan N, Çizmecioğlu F, Ercan O, Dağdeviren A, Baş F, İşsever H, Darendeliler F. Incidence of Type 1 Diabetes in Children Aged Below 18 Years during 2013-2015 in Northwest Turkey. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol 2018;10:336-342. Epub 2018 May 23
3. Demirbilek H, Özbek MN, Baran RT. Incidence of type 1 diabetes mellitus in Turkish children from the southeastern region of the country: a regional report. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol 2013;5:98-103.
4. Chen YL, Huang YC, Qiao YC, Ling W, Pan Y, Geng LJ, Xiao JL, Zhang XX, Zhao HL. Climates on incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes mellitus in 72 countries. Sci Rep 2017;7:12810.
5. Casu A, Pascutto C, Bernardinelli L, Songini M. Type 1 diabetes among Sardinian children is increasing: the Sardinian diabetes register for children aged 0-14 years (1989-1999). Diabetes Care 2004;27:1623- 1629.
6. Skordis N, Efstathiou E, Kyriakides TC, Savvidou A, Savva SC, Phylactou LA, Shammas C, Neocleous V. Epidemiology of type 1 diabetes mellitus in Cyprus: rising incidence at the dawn of the 21st century. Hormones (Athens) 2012;11:86-93.
7. Sav H, Köseoğluları O, Taşyürek A, Kayımbaşıoğlu S, Özbalıkçı S, Faiz M, Özyazar M. Redetermination of Diabetes, Impaired Glucose Tolerance and Related Factors among Turkish Cypriot Community. International Diabetes Federation, 20th World Diabetes Congress, 18- 22 October Montreal, Canada, abstract book, 2009;1639:552.
8. Devlet Planlama Örgütü. Erişim adresi: http://www.devplan.org/Frametr.html
9. Mayer-Davis EJ, Kahkoska AR, Jefferies C, Dabelea D, Balde N, Gong CX, Aschner P7, Craig ME. ISPAD Clinical Practice Consensus Guidelines 2018: Definition, epidemiology, and classification of diabetes in children and adolescents. Pediatr Diabetes 2018;19(Suppl 27):7-19.
10. Yeşilkaya E, Cinaz P, Andıran N, Bideci A, Hatun Ş, Sarı E, Türker T, Akgül Ö, Saldır M, Kılıçaslan H, Açıkel C, Craig ME. First report on the nationwide incidence and prevalence of Type 1 diabetes among children in Turkey. Diabet Med 2017;34:405-410. Epub 2016 Feb 12
11. Schranz AG, Prikatsky V. Type 1 diabetes in the Maltese Islands. Diabet Med 1989;6:228-231.
12. Formosa N, Calleja N, Torpiano J. Incidence and modes of presentation of childhood type 1 diabetes mellitus in Malta between 2006 and 2010. Pediatr Diabetes 2012;13:484-488. Epub 2011 Dec 13
13. Casu A, Pascutto C, Bernardinelli L, Songini M. Type 1 diabetes among sardinian children is increasing: the Sardinian diabetes register for children aged 0-14 years (1989-1999). Diabetes Care 2004; 27:1623- 1629.
14. Karvonen M, Viik-Kajander M, Moltchanova E, Libman I, LaPorte R, Tuomilehto J. Incidence of childhood type 1 diabetes worldwide. Diabetes Mondiale (DiaMond) Project Group. Diabetes Care 2000;23:1516-1526.