The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic that started in China in 2019 has led to millions of infection cases worldwide. As the number of people with COVID-19 has increased, the number of patients with health problems that require surgery during the pandemic also increased, and at the same time, anesthesia is needed for these patients. In patients infected with acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, some fea-tures related to the clinical course of the disease should be known and considerations for the protection of healthcare workers and other patients due to increased contagiousness must be adopted. This review of the literature presents approaches in cases of patients diagnosed with COVID-19 and issues to be considered during anesthesia management.
1. Chen X, Liu Y, Gong Y, Guo X, Zuo M, Li J, et al. Chinese Society of Anesthesiology, Chinese Association of Anesthesiologists. Perioperative Management of Patients Infected with the Novel Coronavirus: Recommendation from the Joint Task Force of the Chinese Society of Anesthesiology and the Chinese Association of Anesthesiologists. Anesthesiology 2020; 132(6): 1307-16. [Crossref]
2. Greenland JR, Michelow MD, Wang L, London MJ. COVID-19 Infection: Implications for Perioperative and Critical Care Physicians. Anesthesiology 2020; 132(6): 1346-61. [Crossref]
3. Fu L, Wang B, Yuan T, Chen X, Ao Y, Fitzpatrick T, et al. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in China: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Infect 2020; 80(6): 656- 65. [Crossref]
4. Kowalski LP, Sanabria A, Ridge JA, Ng WT, de Bree R, Rinaldo A, et al. COVID-19 pandemic: Effects and evidence-based recommendations for otolaryngology and head and neck surgery practice. Head Neck 2020; 42(6): 1259-67. [Crossref]
5. Sohrabi C, Alsafi Z, O'Neill N, Khan M, Kerwan A, Al-Jabir A, et al. World Health Organization declares global emergency: A review of the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Int J Surg 2020; 76: 71-6. [Crossref]
6. Seker M, Ozer A, Tosun Z, Korkut C, Doğrul M. Covid-19 Pandemi Değerlendirme Raporu. Türkiye Bilimler Akademisi Yayınları, TÜBA Raporları No: 34 ISBN: 978-605-2249-43-7.17 Nisan 2020; 30-40.
7. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Situation Report- https://covid19. who.int/
8. Chen Y, Liu Q, Guo D. Emerging coronaviruses: Genome structure, replication, and pathogenesis. J Med Virol 2020; 92(4): 418-23. [Crossref]
9. Yin C. Genotyping coronavirus SARS-CoV-2: Methods and implications. Genomics 2020; 112(5): 3588-96. [Crossref]
10. Wen X, Li Y. Anesthesia Procedure of Emergency Operation for Patients with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19. Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2020; 21(3): 299. [Crossref]
11. Zhang L, Li J, Zhou M, Chen Z. Summary of 20 tracheal intubation by anesthesiologists for patients with severe COVID‑19 pneumonia: retrospective case series. J Anesth 2020; 34(4): 599-606. [Crossref]
12. Odor PM, Neun M, Bampoe S, Clark S, Heaton D, Hoogenboom EM, et al. Anaesthesia and COVID-19: infection control. Br J Anaesth 2020; 125(1): 16-24. [Crossref]
13. Richardson S, Hirsch JS Narasimhan M, Crawford JM, McGinn T, Davidson KW, et al. Presenting Characteristics, Comorbidities, and Outcomes Among 5700 Patients Hospitalized With COVID-19 in the New York City Area. JAMA 2020; 323(20): 2052-9. [Crossref]
14. Sungur Z. Anesthetic management of patients with COVID-19. Curr Thorac Surg 2020; 5(1): E1-E4.
15. Rivera-Oyola R, Koschitzky M, Printy R, Liu S, Stanger R, Golant A, et al. Dermatologic findings in two patients with COVID-19. JAAD Case Rep 2020; 6(6): 537-9. [Crossref]
16. Ozma MA, Maroufi P, Khodadadi E, Köse Ş, Esposito I, Ganbarov K, et al. Clinical manifestation, diagnosis, prevention and control of SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) during the outbreak period. Infez Med 2020; 28(2): 153-65.
17. Li R, Tian J, Yang F, Lv L, Yu J, Sun G, et al. Clinical characteristics of 225 patients with COVID-19 in a tertiary Hospital near Wuhan, China. J Clin Virol 2020; 127: 104363. [Crossref]
18. World Health Organization. Laboratory testing for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in suspected human cases. 2 March 2020.
19. Felsenstein S, Herbert JA, McNamara PS, Hedrich CM. COVID-19: Immunology and treatment options. Clin Immunol 2020; 215: 108448. [Crossref]
20. Zhong H, Wang Y, Zhang ZL, Liu YX, Le KJ, Cui M et al. Efficacy and safety of current therapeutic options for COVID-19 - lessons to be learnt from SARS and MERS epidemic: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Pharmacol Res 2020; 157: 104872. [Crossref]
21. Sullivan HC, Roback JD. Convalescent Plasma: Therapeutic Hope or Hopeless Strategy in the SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic. Transfus Med Rev 2020; 34(3): 145-50. [Crossref]
22. Monti S, Montecucco C. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory treatment during covid-19: friend or foe? Response to: 'Coronavirus disease 19 (Covid-19) and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID)' by Giollo et al. Ann Rheum Dis 2020 Apr 30; annrheumdis-2020-217638. [Crossref]
23. American College of Surgeons COVID-19 and Surgery Clinical Issues and Guidance. COVID-19: Recommendations for Management of Elective Surgical Procedures Online March 13, 2020.
24. TC Sağlık Bakanlığı Hasta Hakları ve Tıbbi Sosyal Hizmetler Daire Başkanlığı. Elektif İşlemlerin Ertelenmesi ve Diğer Alınacak Tedbirler. 17.03.2020 [Crossref]
25. Coimbra R, Edwards S, Kurihara H, Bass GA, Balogh ZJ, Tilsed J, et al. European Society of Trauma and Emergency Surgery (ESTES) recommendations for trauma and emergency surgery preparation during times of COVID‑19 infection. Eur J Trauma Emerg Surg 2020; 46(3): 505-10. [Crossref]
26. Kim HJ, Ko JS, Kim TY. Recommendations for anesthesia in patients suspected of COVID-19 Coronavirus infection. Korean J Anesthesiol 2020; 73(2): 89-91. [Crossref]
27. Buonsenso D, Pata D, Chiaretti A. COVID-19 outbreak: less stethoscope, more ultrasound. Lancet Respir Med 2020; 8(5): e27. [Crossref]
28. Coccolini F, Perrone G, Chiarugi M, Di Marzo F, Ansaloni L, Scandroglio I, et al. Surgery in COVID-19 patients: operational directives. World J Emerg Surg 2020 Apr 7; 15(1): 25. [Crossref]
29. Kamer E, Çolak T. What to Do When A Patient Infected With COVID-19 Needs an Operation: A Pre-surgery, Peri-surgery and Post-surgery Guide. Turk J Colorectal Dis 2020; 30: 1-8. [Crossref]
30. Forrester JD, Nassar AK, Maggio PM, Hawn MT. Precautions for Operating Room Team Members During the COVID-19 Pandemic. J Am Coll Surg 2020; 230(6): 1098-101. [Crossref]
31. Wax RS, Christian MD. Practical recommendations for critical care and anesthesiology teams caring for novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) patients. Can J Anaesth 2020; 67(5): 568-76. [Crossref]
32. Wong J, Goh QY, Tan Z, Lie SA, Tay YC, Ng SY, et al. Preparing for a COVID-19 pandemic: a review of operating room outbreak response measures in a large tertiary hospital in Singapore. Can J Anaesth 2020; 67(6): 732-45. [Crossref]
33. Zhao S, Ling K, Yan H, Zhong L, Peng X, Yao S, et al. Anesthetic Management of Patients with COVID 19 Infections during Emergency Procedures. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2020; 34(5): 1125-31. [Crossref]
34. Zhong Q, Liu YY, Luo Q, Zou YF, Jiang HX, Li H, et al. Spinal anaesthesia for patients with coronavirus disease 2019 and possible transmission rates in anaesthetists: retrospective, single-centre, observational cohort study. Br J Anaesth 2020; 124(6): 670-5. [Crossref]
35. Chen R, Zhang Y, Huang L, Cheng BH, Xia ZY, Meng QT. Safety and efficacy of different anesthetic regimens for parturients with COVID-19 undergoing Cesarean delivery: a case series of 17 patients. Can J Anaesth 2020; 67(6): 655-63. [Crossref]
36. Lyons C. Fibreoptic tracheal intubation in COVID-19: not so fast. Br J Anaesth 2020; 125(1): e170-e171. [Crossref]
37. Aminnejad R, Salimi A, Saeidi M. Lidocaine during intubation and extubation in patients with coronavirus disease (COVID-19). Can J Anaesth 2020; 67(6): 759. [Crossref]
38. Cook TM, El- Boghdadly K, Mc Guire B, McNarry AF, Patel A, Higgs A. Consensus guidelines for managing the airway in patients with COVID-19: Guidelines from the Difficult Airway Society, the Association of Anaesthetists the Intensive Care Society, the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine and the Royal College of Anaesthetists. Anaesthesia 2020; 75(6): 785-99. [Crossref]
39. Morgan GE, Mikhail MS, Murray MJ. Klinik Anesteziyoloji. Tulunay M, Cuhruk H, translation editors. Nonvaolatil Anestezik Ajanlar. Güneş Kitabevi 3. baskı 2004.p.151-62.
40. Rajan N, Joshi GP. The COVID-19: Role of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities in This Global Pandemic. Anesth Analg 2020; 131(1): 31-6. [Crossref]
41. Mercuro NJ, Yen CF, Shim DJ, Maher TR, McCoy CM, Zimetbaum PJ, et al. Risk of QT Interval Prolongation Associated with Use of Hydroxychloroquine with or Without Concomitant Azithromycin Among Hospitalized Patients Testing Positive for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). JAMA Cardiol 2020 May 1; e201834. [Crossref]
42. Filatov A, Sharma P, Hindi F, Espinosa PS. Neurological complications of coronavirus disease (covid- 19): encephalopathy. Cureus 2020; 12(3): e7352. [Crossref]
43. Bauer ME, Chiware R, Pancaro C. Neuraxial procedures in COVID-19 positive parturients: a review of current reports. Anesth Analg 2020; 10.1213/ANE.0000000000004831. [Crossref]
44. El-Boghdadly K, Pawa A, Chin KJ. Local anesthetic systemic toxicity: Current perspectives. Local Reg Anesth 2018; 11: 35-44. [Crossref]
45. ASA Standards for Basic Anesthetic Monitoring. Committee of Origin: Standards and Practice Parameters (Approved by the ASA House of Delegates on October 21, 1986, last amended on October 20, 2010, and last affirmed on October 28, 2016). [Crossref]
46. Mitra RL, Greenstein SA, Epstein LM. An algorithm for managing QT prolongation in coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) patients treated with either chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine in conjunction with azithromycin: Possible benefits of intravenous lidocaine. HeartRhythm Case Rep 2020; 6(5): 244-8. [Crossref]
47. Cheng Y, Luo R, Wang K, Zhang M, Wang Z, Dong L, et al. Kidney disease is associated with in-hospital death of patients with COVID-19. Kidney Int 2020; 97(5): 829-38. [Crossref]
48. Kurtipek Ö, Alkış N, Işık B, Alanoğlu Z, editors. Venöz-vasküler girişimlerde Ultrasonografi. Klinik Anestezide Ultrasonografi. Akademisyen Kitabevi 2018.p.87-111.
49. Furtado S, Reis L. Inferior vena cava evaluation in fluid therapy decision making in intensive care: practical implications. Rev Bras Ter Intensiva 2019; 31(2): 240-7. [Crossref]
50. Romero-Bermejo FJ, Ruiz-Bailén M, Guerrero-De-Mier M, Lopez-Alvaro J. Echocardiographic Hemodynamic Monitoring in the Critically Ill Patient. Curr Cardiol Rev 2011; 7(3): 146-56. [Crossref]
51. Sakudo A. Near-infrared spectroscopy for medical applications: Current status and future perspectives. Clin Chim Acta 2016; 455: 181-8. [Crossref]
52. Kazory A, Ronco C, McCullough PA. SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) and intravascular volume management strategies in the critically ill. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent) 2020; 0(0): 1-6. [Crossref]
53. Aykaç ZZ, Arslantaş MK. Sıvı Tedavisi ve Yönetimi. GKDA Derg 2017; 23(2): 35-42. [Crossref]
54. Aykaç ZZ, Arslantaş MK. Sıvı Tedavisi ve Yönetimi (II) Monitorizasyon ve Sıvı Yanıtlılığının Öngörülmesi. GKDA Derg 2018; 24(1): 1-10. [Crossref]
55. McGrath BA, Wallace S, Goswamy J. Laryngeal oedema associated with COVID-19 complicating airway management. Anaesthesia 2020; 75(7): 972. [Crossref]
56. American Society of Anesthesiologists: Practice guidelines for postanesthetic care. Anesthesiology 2002; 96(3): 742-752. Copyright © 2013, the American Society of Anesthesiologists, Inc. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. Anesthesiology 2013; 118: 1-17. [Crossref]