Öz This study reports the effects of silica (S), quartz (Q), and basalt (B) fillers on the chemical, thermal, and mechanical properties of unsaturated polyester (PE) composites. In the study, fillers were selected as same class grain distribution and mixed with orthophtalic based PE resin to produce composites. The thermal characterization of the composites was determined with thermogravimetric and thermal conductivity. Chemical characterization was carried out with FT-IR. Compressive strength was investigated with Universal Testing Machine. SEM device was used to investigate the morphological alterations of the composites. Also, statistical analysis was carried out for thermal conductivity and mechanical results. At the end of the present study, some minor chemical alterations were seen in FT-IR after the interaction of the fillers and PE resin. Thermal stability decreased after adding fillers. The thermal conductivity and thermogravimetric analysis were not agreed with each other that higher thermal conductivity was seen in the PE-Q composites. The compressive strength of filler-based composites was higher than that of the neat PE composite whereas the higher compressive strength was obtained in the PE-Q. This study confirms the applicability of various fillers as a reinforcing agent in the polymer.
1. Kalkan, E, Karakışla, MM, Saçak, M. 2018. Polypyrrole and silver particles coated poly (ethylene terephthalate) nonwoven composite for electromagnetic interference shielding. Journal of Composite Materials; 52(10): 1353-1362.
2. Kumar, V, Dev, A, Gupta, A. 2014. Studies of poly (lactic acid) based calcium carbonate nanocomposites. Composites Part B: Engineering; 56: 184-188.
3. Çopuroğlu, M, Şen, M, Keyf, F. 2017. A polymeric nanocomposite system for potential adhesive applications in restorative dentistry. Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology; 31(6): 602-612.
4. Kim, HG. 2002. Dielectric cure monitoring for glass/polyester prepreg composites. Composite Structures; 57(1-4): 91-99.
5. Novak, BM. 1993. Hybrid nanocomposite materials—between inorganic glasses and organic polymers. Advanced Materials; 5(6): 422-433.
6. Ogoshi, T, Itoh, H, Kim, KM, Chujo, Y. 2002. Synthesis of organic− inorganic polymer hybrids having interpenetrating polymer network structure by formation of ruthenium− bipyridyl complex. Macromolecules; 35(2): 334-338.
7. Chen, Y, Iroh, JO. 1999. Synthesis and characterization of polyimide/silica hybrid composites. Chemistry of Materials; 11(5): 1218-1222.
8. Demir, MM, Altın, B, Özçelik, S. 2010. Composites of reactive silica nanoparticles and poly (glycidyl methacrylate) with linear and crosslinked chains by in situ bulk polymerization. Composite Interfaces; 17(9): 831-844.
9. Horath, L. Fundamentals of Materials Science for Technologists: Properties, Testing. and Laboratory Exercises; Waveland Press: 2019.
10. Rothon, R. Particulate-Filled Polymer Composites; iSmithers Rapra Publishing: 2003.
11. Saba, N, Jawaid, M, Asim, M. Recent Advances in Nanoclay/Natural Fibers Hybrid Composites. In: Nanoclay Reinforced Polymer Composites; Springer, 2016; pp 1-28.
12. Mahdi, F, Abbas, H, Khan, A. 2010. Strength characteristics of polymer mortar and concrete using different compositions of resins derived from post-consumer PET bottles. Construction and Building Materials; 24(1): 25-36.
13. Ateş, E, Barnes, S. 2012. The effect of elevated temperature curing treatment on the compression strength of composites with polyester resin matrix and quartz filler. Materials & Design; 34: 435-443.
14. Ateş, E. 2009. Optimization of compression strength by granulometry and change of binder rates in epoxy and polyester resin concrete. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites; 28(2): 235-246.
15. Singh, P, Kaushik, A, Kirandeep. 2006. Mechanical and transport properties of colloidal silica-unsaturated polyester composites. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites; 25(2): 119-140.
16. Fuller WB, Thompson SE. 1907. The laws of proportioning concrete. Journal of Transportation Engineering; 59.
17. ASTM (2012) C579-18. Standard test methods for compressive strength of chemical-resistant mortars. grouts. monolithic surfacings and polymer concretes. ASTM International, USA.
18. Carrillo, F, Colom, X, Sunol, J, Saurina, J. 2004. Structural FTIR analysis and thermal characterisation of lyocell and viscose-type fibres. European Polymer Journal; 40(9): 2229-2234.
19. Heidari, A, Younesi, H, Mehraban, Z. 2009. Removal of Ni (II). Cd (II). and Pb (II) from a ternary aqueous solution by amino functionalized mesoporous and nano mesoporous silica. Chemical Engineering Journal; 153(1-3): 70-79.
20. Chung, CM, Cho, SY, Kim, JG, Oh, SY. 2007. Preparation of unsaturated polyester–silica nanocomposites. Journal of Applied Polymer Science; 106(4): 2442-2447.
21. Shimazaki, Y, et al. 2007. Excellent thermal conductivity of transparent cellulose nanofiber/epoxy resin nanocomposites. Biomacromolecules; 8(9): 2976-2978.
22. Khankrua, R, et al. 2013. Thermal and Mechanical Properties of Biodegradable polyester/silica Nanocomposites. Energy Procedia; 34: 705 – 713.
23. Farhan, AJ. 2020. Characterization the thermal degradation E kinetic of unsaturated polyester and polyester/silica nanoparticles composites by TGA and DSC Analysis. Journal of Advanced Research in Fluid Mechanics and Thermal Sciences; 71(1): 10-20.
24. Carrasco, F, Pages, P. 2008. Thermal degradation and stability of epoxy nanocomposites: influence of montmorillonite content and cure temperature. Polymer Degradation and Stability; 93: 1000-1007.
25. Chrissafis, K, Bikiaris, D. 2011. Can nanoparticles really enhance thermal stability of polymers? Part I: An overview on thermal decomposition of addition polymers. Thermochimica Acta; 523: 1-24.
26. Zhua, J, et al. 2011. Ionic liquid assisted electrospinning of quantum dots/elastomer composite nanofibers. Polymer; 52: 1954-1962.
27. Barry-Macaulay, D, et al. 2013. Thermal conductivity of soils and rocks from the Melbourne (Australia) region. Engineering Geology; 164: 131-138.
28. Cao, X, Lee, LJ. 2003. Control of shrinkage and residual styrene of unsaturated polyester resins cured at low temperatures: I. Effect of curing agents. Polymer; 44: 1893-1902.
29. Baskaran, R, Sarojadevi, M, Vijayakumar, CT. 2010. Mechanical and thermal properties of unsaturated polyester-silica nanocomposites. Nano Science and Nano Technology An Indian journal; 4(1): 1-5.