Objectives: This study was an examination of the long-term results of transcanalicular laser (TCL) and external (EX) dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR). Methods: Patients who had undergone TCL-DCR or EX-DCR between 2009 and 2013 were invited for long-term follow-up in 2019. All of the patients who responded had an ophthalmic examination and were assessed using lacrimal irrigation. An intranasal evaluation was performed when the irrigation test had non-patent results. TCL procedures were performed with a diode laser (980 nm). Ostium cleansing with a suction unit and a nasal endoscope was performed in the first week. In EX-DCR procedures, an anterior flap was created and tented to the orbicularis oculi muscle. A silicon tube was implanted in both methods and removed at 4-6 months. Results: A total of 74 EX-DCR patients were assessed. The lacrimal irrigation test was negative in 5 cases. The functional success rate was 93.2% with a follow-up of 8 years. A total of 63 patients who had undergone TCL-DCR were evaluated and the irrigation test was negative in 9 patients. The functional success rate was 85.7% with a follow-up of 7 years. The difference in the success rate was statistically insignificant with a p value of 0.09. Conclusion: The long-term success rates of both EX-DCR and TCL-DCR were high.
1. Dalgic A, Ceylan ME, Çelik Ç, Aliyeva A, Aksoy GY, Edizer DT. Outcomes of endoscopic powered revision dacryocystorhinostomy. J Craniofac Surg 2018;29:1960–2.
2. Alañón Fernández FJ, Alañón Fernández MA, Martínez Fernández A, Cárdenas Lara M. Transcanalicular dacryocystorhinostomy technique using diode laser. [Article in Spanish] Arch Soc Esp Oftalmol.2004;79:325–30.
3. Eloy P, Trussart C, Jouzdani E, Collet S, Rombaux P, Bertrand B. Transcanalicular diode laser assisted dacryocystorhinostomy. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Belg 2000;54:157–63.
4. Plaza G, Beteré F, Nogueira A. Transcanalicular dacryocystorhinostomy with diode laser: long-term results. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg 2007;23:179–82.
5. Basmak H, Caklı H, Sahin A, Gursoy H, Ozer A, Altun E, et al. Comparison of endocanalicular laser dacryocystorhinostomy with and without endonasal procedures. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2011;249:737–43.
6. Henson RD, Henson RG Jr, Cruz HL Jr, Camara JG. Use of the diode laser with intraoperative mitomycin C in endocanalicular laser dacryocystorhinostomy. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg 2007;23:134–7.
7. Yeniad B, Uludag G, Kozer-Bilgin L. Assessment of patient satisfaction following external versus transcanalicular dacryocystorhinostomy with a diode laser and evaluation if change in quality of life after simultaneous bilateral surgery in patients with bilateral nasolacrimal duct obstruction. Curr Eye Res 2012;37:286–92.
8. Mourya D, Rijal RK. Transcanalicular laser-assisted dacryocystorhinostomy with diode laser. Orbit 2017;36:370–4.
9. Derya K, Demirel S, Doganay S, Orman G, Cumurcu T, Gunduz A. Endoscopic transcanalicular diode laser dacryocystorhinostomy: Is it an alternative method to conventional external dacryocystorhinostomy? Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg 2013;29:15–7.
10. Hartikainen J, Grenman R, Puukka P, Seppä H. Prospective randomized comparison of external dacryocystorhinostomy and endonasal laser dacryocystorhinostomy. Ophthalmology 1998;105:1106–13.
11. Moore WM, Bentley CR, Olver JM. Functional and anatomic results after two types of endoscopic endonasal dacryocystorhinostomy: surgical and holmium laser. Ophthalmology 2002;109:1575–82.
12. Warren JF, Seiff SR, Kavanagh MC. Long-term results of external dacryocystorhinostomy. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 2005;36:446–50.
13. Deka A, Saikia SP, Bhuyan SK. Combined posterior flap and anterior suspended flap dacryocystorhinostomy: A modification of external dacryocystorhinostomy. Oman J Ophthalmol 2010;3:18–20.
14. Kazancı B, Ersan I, Özek D, Gencer B. External dacryocystorhinostomy: Anastomosis by single or double flap. Dicle Medical J 2013;40:601–4.
15. Yuksel D, Kosker M, Akoz I, Simsek S. Long-term results of simultaneous bilateral external dacryocystorhinostomy in cases with bilateral dacryostenosis. Semin Ophthalmol 2015;30:20–4.
16. Mansour K, Sere M, Oey AG, Bruin KJ, Blanksma LJ. Long term patient satisfaction of external dacryocystorhinostomy. Ophthalmologica 2005;219:97–100.
17. Alnawaiseh M, Mihailovic N, Wieneke AC, Prokosch V, Rosentreter A, Merté RL, et al. Long-term outcomes of external dacryocystorhinostomy in the age of transcanalicular microendoscopic techniques. J Ophthalmol 2016;2016:5918457.
18. Heichel J, Hassan T, Bredehorn-Mayr T, Wienke A, Struck HG. External dacryocystorhinostomy analysis of patient material of the university hospital halle from 2000 to 2011. [Article in German] Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 2016;233:29–37.
19. Erdöl H, Akyol N, Imamoglu HI, Sözen E. Long-term follow-up of external dacryocystorhinostomy and the factors affecting its success. Orbit 2005;24:99–102.
20. Caglar C, Yener HI, Gul A, Ozcimen M. The modified technique of external dacryocystorhinostomy in the management of complicated nasolacrimal duct obstruction. J Craniofac Surg 2016;27:416–9.
21. Yener HI, Gul A, Caglar C, Ozcimen M. The effectiveness of postoperative early ostium cleaning in transcanalicular diode laser-assisted dacryocystorhinostomy. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg 2014;30:476–9.
22. Drnovsek-Olup B, Beltram M. Transcanalicular diode laser assisted dacryocystorhinostomy. Indian J Ophthalmol 2010;58:213–7.
23. Nuhoglu F, Gurbuz B, Eltutar K. Long-term outcomes after transcanalicular laser dacryocystorhinostomy. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 2012;32:258–62.
24. Kaynak P, Ozturker C, Yazgan S, Karabulut GO, Akar S, Demirok A, et al. Transcanalicular diode laser assisted dacryocystorhinostomy in primary acquired nasolacrimal duct obstruction: 2-year follow up. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg 2014;30:28–33.
25. Yildirim Y, Kar T, Topal T, Cesmeci E, Kaya A, Colakoglu K, et al. Comparison of transcanalicular multidiode laser dacryocystorhinostomy with and without silicon tube intubation. J Ophthalmol 2016;2016:6719529.
26. Yazgan S, Çelik T, Koç H, Doğan M. Effectiveness of transcanalicular diode laser-assisted dacryocystorhinostomy in cases with failure after at least two external dacryocystorhinostomy: twoyear results. Turkiye Klinikleri J Ophthalmol 2017;26:175–80.
27. Doğan M, Alizada A, Yavaş GF, Kahveci OK, Bakan O. Laser-assisted dacryocystorhinostomy in nasolacrimal duct obstruction: 5-year follow-up. Int J Ophthalmol 2018;11:1616–20.