Objective: Follicular type thyroid carcinoma (FTC) rarely presented with spinal metastasis. We aimed to report such a case and to review the literature. Method: A 45 year old male with L2 metastasis of FTC was reported, and other 26 cases were found in literature. Characteristics of the patients and tumors were evaluated. Results: Total 27 patients were 55.2±15 years of age, and male/ female ratio was 12/15. Nineteen patients had paresis of extremities, 9 of them could not mobilize on admission. Total resection of the spinal tumor had been performed in 14 cases and subtotal resection in 5. Radioactive iodine treatment had been added in 20 cases with or without other adjuvant treatment. Twenty-three patients had been followed for 43.7±53.2 months. Only four of them died 214, 66, 36 and 7 months after their presentations. Out of other 19 cases, 13 had been neurologically normal. Type of surgery (total resection versus others) the only factor affecting outcome. In the patients treated with total resection, outcome had been statistically better. Conclusion: Spinal metastasis as initial finding is very rare in the patients with FTC. However, prognosis is quite well with total tumor resection and adjuvant treatment. This cancer type must be kept in mind for differential diagnosis and must be screened in the patients with spinal tumors
Amaç: Folliküler tip tiroid karsinomu (FTK) nadiren spinal metastazla belirti verir. Böyle bir olgu sunmayı ve bu konuda literatür taramayı amaçladık. Yöntem: Lomber 2 spinal metastazla belirti veren 45 yaşında erkek FTK olgusu sunuldu ve literatürde benzer 26 olgu bulundu. Tüm olguların özellikleri değerlendirildi. Bulgular: Toplam 27 olgu 55,2±15 yaşındaydı (35-88 arasında, ortalama ± SS) ve erkek/kadın oranı 12/15 idi. Başvuruda 19 olguda kol ve/veya bacaklarda güçsüzlük vardı ve 9’u mobilize olamıyordu. Spinal tümör 14 olguda total, 5 olguda subtotal çıkarıldı. Yirmi olguya radyoaktif iyot tedavisi eklendi. Olguların 23’ü 3-214 ay (43,7±53,2, ortalama ± SS) süreyle izlenmişti, sadece 4 olgu başvurudan 214, 66, 36 ve 7 ay sonra ölmüştü. Halen sağ olan 19 olgunun 13’ü nörolojik olarak normaldi. Uygulanan cerrahi tipi (total çıkarmaya karşılık diğer cerrahi tipleri) son durumu etkileyen tek faktör olarak saptandı. Tümörü total çıkarılan hastalarda sondurum anlamlı olarak daha iyiydi. Sonuç: Folliküler tip tiroid karsinomunun spinal metastazla belirti vermesi çok nadirdir. Ancak total tümör çıkarılması ve adjuvan tedaviyle prognoz iyidir. Spinal tümörlü hastalarda bu kanser tipi de ayrıcı tanıda akılda tutulmalı ve tarama testleri yapılmalıdır
1. Carhill AA, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R. Durable effect of radioactive iodine in a patient with metastatic follicular thyroid carcinoma. Case Rep Endocrinol 2012;2012:231912.
2. McNeely MF, Sabath A, Linnau KF. Follicular thyroid carcinoma presenting as acute cord compression due to thoracic vertebral metastasis. Radiol Case Rep 2012;7:1-4.
3. Pacini F, Schlumberger M, Dralle H, Ilisea R, Smith Y, Viersinga V. European consensus for the management of patients with differentiated thyroid carcinoma of the follicular epithelium. Eur J Endocrinol 2006;154:787-803.
4. Chander A, Jayabalan V, Ganesan GR, Shanmugasundaram G, Kannan KK. Surgical management of follicular carcinoma of thyroid with spinal metastasis. International Surgery Journal 2015;2:599-603.
5. Demura S, Kawahara N, Murakami H, Abdel-Wanis ME, Kato S, Yohshioka K, Tomita K, Tsuchiya H. Total en-bloc spondylectomy for spinal metastases in thyroid carcinoma. J Neurosurg Spine 2011;14:172-176.
6. Pomorski L, Bartos M. Metastasis as the first sign of thyroid cancer. Neoplasma 1999;46:309-312.
7. Akhtar S, Adeel M. An unusual case of cauda equina secondary to spinal metastasis of thyroid cancer. Iranian J Otorhinolaryngol 2016;28:67-71.
8. Baiao JM, Guimaraes A, Moreira N, Correia JG, Rosevinge CU, Gonçalves D, Calvo MA. Acute paraparesis as presentation of an occult follicular thyroid carcinoma: A case report. Int J Surg Case Reports 2017;41:498-501.
9. Chafiki Z, Merzouki B, Hasnaoui J, Rouadi S, Abada R, Roubal M, Mahtar M. An occult follicular thyroid carcinoma revealed by an isolated cauda equina syndrome: a rare presentation. Glob J Otolaryngol 2017;3:1-4.
10. Dong P, Chen N, Li L, Huang R. An upper cervical cord compression secondary to occult follicular thyroid carcinoma metastases successfully treated with multiple radioiodine therapies. A clinical case report. Medicine 2017;96:e8215.
11. Khan MN, Sharfuzzaman A, Mostafa MG. Spinal cord compression as initial presentation of metastatic occult follicular thyroid carcinoma. J Neurosci Rural Pract 2014;5:155-159.
12. Kim DH, Yoo SD, Kim SM, Im SJ, Kang JK, Cho EH. Thyroid cancer initially presenting compression fracture without common thyroid symptoms. Ann Rehabil Med 2012;36:735-738.
13. Ogbodo E, Kaliaperumal C, Keohane C, Bermingham N, Kaar G. Sciatica as a presenting feature of thyroid follicular adenocarcinoma in a 79-year-old woman. BMJ Case Rep 2011;2011. pii: bcr1020115014.
14. Okutan O, Kaptanoglu E, Gocmen E, Solaroglu I, Beskonakli E, Koc M. Metastasis of follicular carcinoma of the thyroid to the lumbar vertebrae: A case report. Turkish Neurosurg 2005;15:32-35.
15. Sandu N, Pöpperl G, Toubert ME, Arasho B, Spiriev T, Orabi M, Schaller BJ. Molecular imaging of potential bone metastasis from differentiated thyroid cancer: a case report. J Med Case Rep 2011;5:522.
16. Sharma N, Purkayastha A. Follicular thyroid carcinoma presenting as large solitary vertebral metastasis: Report of two unusual cases treated with radiotherapy. Asia Pac J Oncol Nurs 2017;4:269-272.
17. Shibuya I, Sairyo K, Kanamori Y, Dezawa A. Four-Rod Stabilization of severely destabilized lumbar spine caused by metastatic tumor. Case Rep Orthop 2013;2013:254684.
18. Thoskezi G, Galgano MA, Libohova S, Marawar S. Isolated spinal metastasis with spinal cord compression leads to a diagnosis of a follicular thyroid carcinoma. Cureus 2015;7:e346.
19. Upreti V, Sridhar MS, Dhull P, Seri A. An unusual cause of progressive quadriparesis. Indian J Endocrinol Metab 2013;17(Suppl 1): S155-S156.
20. Hakeem AH. Spinal cord compression as initial presentation of follicular thyroid carcinoma Thyroid. Thyroid Disorders Ther 2014;3:3.
21. Matsumoto M, Tsuji T, Iwanami A, Watanabe K, Hosgane N, Ishii K, Nakamura M, Morioka H, Toyama Y. Total en bloc spondylectomy for spinal metastasis of differentiated thyroid cancers. A long-term follow-up. J Spinal Disord Tech 2013;26:E137-142.
22. Scarrow AM, Colina JL, Levy EI, Welch WC. Thyroid carcinoma with isolated spinal metastasis: case history and review of the literature. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 1999;101:245-248.
23. Goldberg H, Stein ME, Ben-Ithzak O, Duek D, Ravkin A, Gaitini D. Metastatic spinal cord compression as initial presentation of follicular thyroid carcinoma. J Surg Oncol 1998;67:186-189.
24. Brodner RA, Berman AJ, Wisniewski M, Nakagawa HK. Thyroid carcinoma presenting as epidural metastasis with spinal cord compression. Mt Sinai J Med (NY) 1975;42:207-215.
25. Marcocci C, Pacini F, Elisei R, Schipani E, Ceccarelli C, Miccoli P, Arganini M, Pinchera A. Clinical and biologic behavior of bone metastases fron differentiated thyroid carcinoma. Surgery 1989;106:960-966.
26. Shaha AR, Shah JP, Loree TR. Differentiated thyroid cancer presenting initially with distant metastasis. Am J Surg 1997;174:474-476.
27. Kushchayeva YS, Kushchayev SV, Wexler JA, Carroll NM, Preul MC, Teytelboym OM, Sonntag VK, Van Nostrand D, Burman KD, Boyle LM. Current treatment modalities for spinal metastases secondary to thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 2014;24:1443-1455.
28. Coleman RE. Clinical features of metastatic bone disease and risk of skeletal morbidity. Clin Cancer Res 2006;12:6243-6249.
29. Reeve TS, Delbridge L, Crummer P. Total thyroidectomy in the management of differentiated thyroid cancer: a review of 258 cases. Aust N Z J Surg 1986;56:829-833.
30. Uslu Besli L, Uslu I. Evaluation of response to therapy in thyroid carcinoma patients after radioactive iodine therapy. Bagcilar Medical Bulletin 2016;1:30-32.
31. Sellin JN, Suki D, Harsh V, Elder BD, Fahim DK, McCutcheon IE, Rao G, Rhines LD, Tatsui CE. Factors affecting survival in 43 consecutive patients after surgery for spinal metastases from thyroid carcinoma. J Neurosurg Spine 2015;23:419-428.
32. Haugen BR, Alexander EK, Bible KC, Doherty GM, Mandel SJ, Nikiforov YE, Pacini F, Randolph GW, Sawka AM, Schlumberger M, Schuff KG, Sherman SI, Sosa JA, Steward DL, Tuttle RM, Wartofsky L. 2015 American thyroid association management guidelines for adult patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer: the American Thyroid Association (ATA) guidelines task force on thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid 2016;26:1-133.
33. Bernier MO, Leenhardt L, Hoang C, Aurengo A, Mary JY, Menegaux F, Enkaoua E, Turpin G, Chiras J, Saillant G, Hejblum G. Survival and therapeutic modalities in patients with bone metastases of differentiated thyroid carcinomas. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001;86:1568-1573.
34. Ramadan S, Ugas MA, Berwick RJ, Notay M, Cho H, Jerjes W, Giannoudis PV. Spinal metastasis in thyroid cancer. Head Neck Oncol 2012;4:39.