Objectives: This study aims to investigate the effects of Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) eradication on the number of tender points, sleep quality, depression, and anxiety in patients with fibromyalgia syndrome. Patients and methods: The study was performed on 32 fibromyalgia syndrome patients (28 females, 4 males; mean age 38.5±8.6 years) suffering from dyspeptic complaints. All participants were evaluated by gastric endoscopy and bacterial culture for the presence of H. pylori. Patients included in the study were all H. pylori positive. The patients were assessed by the number of tender points, the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index, the Beck Depression Inventory, and the Beck Anxiety Inventory pre- and post-treatment for eradication of H. pylori. Amoxicillin 1 g, clarithromycin 500 mg, and lansoprazole 30 mg were given twice daily for three weeks to all patients. Results: The number of tender points was significantly reduced at the evaluation of post-treatment compared with baseline (p<0.001). However, there were no significant differences between pre- and post-treatment for the scores of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index, the Beck Depression Inventory, and the Beck Anxiety Inventory (all p>0.05). Conclusion: Our study results show that H. pylori eradication has a positive impact on the number of tender points.
1. Yanık B, Gökmen D, Sarp Ü, Kurtai Aytür Y, Ergin S. Ten year results of a fibromyalgia outpatient clinic: is there a happy ending? Turk J Rheumatol 2011;26:19-28.
2. Ulus Y, Akyol Y, Tander B, Durmus D, Bilgici A, Kuru O. Sleep quality in fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis: associations with pain, fatigue, depression, and disease activity. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2011;29:S92-6.
3. Thieme K, Turk DC, Flor H. Comorbid depression and anxiety in fibromyalgia syndrome: relationship to somatic and psychosocial variables. Psychosom Med 2004;66:837-44.
4. Akkaya N, Akkaya S, Polat Y, Turk M, Turk T, Turhal E, et al. Helicobacter pylori seropositivity in fibromyalgia syndrome. Clin Rheumatol 2011;30:43-9.
5. Banic M, Franceschi F, Babic Z, Gasbarrini A. Extragastric manifestations of Helicobacter pylori infection. Helicobacter 2012;17 Suppl 1:49-55.
6. Wolfe F, Smythe HA, Yunus MB, Bennett RM, Bombardier C, Goldenberg DL, et al. The American College of Rheumatology 1990 Criteria for the Classification of Fibromyalgia. Report of the Multicenter Criteria Committee. Arthritis Rheum 1990;33:160-72.
7. Tünger Ö. Helicobacter pylori infections. Turkish Journal of Infection 2008;22:107-15.
8. A¤argün MY, Kara H, Anlar O. Pittsburgh uyku kalitesi indeksinin geçerli¤i ve güvenirli¤i. Türk Psikiyatri Derg 1996;7:107-15.
9. Hisli N. Beck Depresyon envanteri'nin geçerlili¤i üzerine bir çalıma. Psikoloji Dergisi 1988;6:118-22.
10. Ulusoy M, Sahin NH, Erkmen H. Turkish Version of the Beck Anxiety Inventory: Psychometric Properties. J Cogn Psychother Int Q 1998;12:163-72.
11. Bekta M, Çetinkaya H, Çalıkan D, Özta E, Akdur R, Özden A. The prevalance of dyspepsia in the population above 15 years old in Park Healty Center zone. Akademik Gastroenteroloji Dergisi 2007;6:120-6.
12. Uyanıko¤lu A, Cokun M, Binici DN, Uçar , Kibar Y, Tay A, et al. Frequency of Helicobacter pylori in patients underwent endoscopy. Dicle Med J 2012;39:197-200.
13. Malt EA, Olafsson S, Ursin H. Fibromyalgia: a manifestation of Helicobacter pylori infection? Scand J Rheumatol 2004;33:131.
14. Çakır T, Evcik D, Dündar Ü, Yi¤it , Kavuncu V. Evaluation of sympathetic skin response and F wave in fibromyalgia syndrome patients. Turk J Rheumatol 2011;26:38-43.
15. Pimentel M, Wallace D, Hallegua D, Chow E, Kong Y, Park S, et al. A link between irritable bowel syndrome and fibromyalgia may be related to findings on lactulose breath testing. Ann Rheum Dis 2004;63:450-2.
16. Lin HC. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth: a framework for understanding irritable bowel syndrome. JAMA 2004;292:852-8.