Introduction: The aim of this study is to compare the visual outcomes of monofocal and accommodating intraocular lenses in patients with cataract. Material and Method: 42 eyes of 26 patients with cataract were included in this retrospective study. 21 eyes of 13 patients (8 patien ts had bilateral, 5 patients had unilateral surgery) had WIOL-CF accommodating intraocular lens implantation and they classified as Group 1. Other 21 eyes of 13 patients (8 patients had bilateral, 5 patients had unilateral surgery) had Acriva monofocal intraocular lens and they classified as Group2. Follow-up time was 6 months for both groups. Distance and near vision results were compared between two groups. Also changes in corneal endothelial cell count and intraocular pressure were evaluated in each group. Results: At postoperative sixth month mean best- corrected visual acuity was 0.91±0.1 (range: 0.7 and 1) in Group 1 and 0.9±0.1 (range: 0.7 and 1) for Group2. Mean uncorrected near vision for Group1 was 1.52±1.03 (range: Jaeger1 and Jaeger4). Near visual acuity was statistically significantly better in Grup 1 against Grup 2. (p<0.05) After 6 months follow up time, there was no significant change in corneal endothelial cell count and intraocular eye pressure for both groups. Discussion: With WIOL-CF accommodating intraocular lens, successful distance vision results as Acriva monofocal intraocular lens can be achieved in patients with cataract. Additionally near vision can be obtainable
1. Brian G, Taylor H. Cataract blindness–challenges for the 21st century. Bull World Health Organ 2001;79:249–56.
2. Coşkun M, Anayol MA, Altıntaş AGK, Çakmak HB, Şimşek Ş. Katarakt sertliğinin fako parametreleri ve komplikasyon gelişimi üzerine etkileri. Glo-Kat 2006;1:279-83.
3. Minassian DC, Rosen P, Dart JK, Reidy A, Desai P, Sidhu M, et al. Extra capsular cataract extraction compared with small incision surgery by phacoemulsification: a randomized trial. Br J Ophthalmol 2001;85(7):822–9.
4. Mainster MA, Turner PL. Blue-blocking Intraocular Lenses: Myth or Reality?. American Journal of Ophthalmology 2009;147(1):8-10.
5. Hayashi K, Yoshida M, Hayashi H. All-distance visual acuity and contrast visual acuity in eyes with a refractive multifocal intraocular lens with minimal added power. Ophthalmology 2009;116(3):401-8.
6. Mendicute J, Irigoyen C, Ruiz M Iarramendi I, Ferrer-Blasco T, Montes- Mico R. Toric intraocular lens versus opposite clear corneal incisions to correct astigmatism in eyes having cataract surgery. Journal Cat&Ref 2009;35(3):451-8.
7. Henderson BA. Accommodating IOLs. Ophthalmology 2008;115 (10):1850-1.
8. Sergienko N. Evaluation of the Synchrony dual-optic accommodating intraocular lens. Journal Cat & Ref 2008;34(1):8-9.
9. Marchini G, Pedrotti E, Sartori P, Tosi R. Ultrasound biomicroscopic changes during accommodation in eyes with accommodating intraocular lenses: pilot study and hypothesis for the mechanism of accommodation. J Cataract Refract Surg 2004;30(12):2476-82.
10. Nawa Y, Ueda T, Nakatsuka M, Tsuji H, Marutani H, Hara Y, et al. Accommodation obtained per 1.0 mm forward movement of a posterior chamber intraocular lens. J Cataract Refract Surg 2003;29(11):2069-72.
11. Cumming JS, Colvard DM, Dell SJ, Doane J, Fine IH, et al. Clinical evaluation of the Crystalens AT-45 accommodating intraocular lens, results of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration clinical trial. J Cataract Refract Surg 2006;32(5): 812-25.
12. Mesçi C, Karakurt Y, Aydın N ve ark. Difraktif (Restor) ve refraktif (Rezoom) multifokal göz içi lenslerle katarakt ameliyatları sonrası görme fonksiyonlarının karşılaştırılması. Glo-Kat 2009;4(3):183-8.
13. Can İ. Presbiyopinin cerrah tedavisi ve multifokal göz içi lenslerinin yeri: Katarakt cerrahisinden refraktif göz içi lensi cerrahisine geçiş. Glo-Kat 2007;2(1):1-12.
14. Baikoff G, Matach G, Fontaine A, Ferraz C, Spera C. Correction of presbyopia with refractive multifocal phakic intraocular lenses. J Cataract Refract Surg 2004;30(7):1454-60.
15. Strenk SA, Semmlow JL, Strenk LM, Munoz P, Gronlund-Jacob, DeMarco JKJ. et al. Age-related changes in human ciliary muscle and lens; a magnetic resonance imaging study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 1999;40: 1162-9.
16. Macsai MS, Silver LP, Fontes BM. Visual outcomes after accommodating intraocular lens implantation. J Cataract Refract Surg 2006; 32(4):628-33
17. Marchini G, Mora P, Pedrotti E, Manzotti F, Aldigeri R, Gandolfi SA. Functional assessment of two different accommodative intraocular lenses compared with monofocal intraocular lens. Ophthalmology 2007;114(11): 2038-43.
18. Mesçi C, Erbil H, Sönmez A, Acar H. Katarakt operasyonu sonrası erken dönem akomodatif göz içi lenslerin monofokal göz içi lenslerle görme fonksiyonları yönünden karşılaştırılması. Glokom-Katarakt Oftalmoloji Dergisi 2007;2(1):47-50.
19. Sanders DR, Sanders ML. Visual performance results after Tetraflex accommodating intraocular lens implantation. Opthalmology 2007;114(9):1679-84.