Öz The aim of this study is to perform microbiological, physical, and chemical analyses of the samples from producers who continuously bring milk to 30 actively operating milk collection centers throughout the spring, summer, autumn, and winter seasons in Kastamonu Province and determine whether the identified values are within legal limits. For microbiological properties of milk included in the research, total aerobic mesophilic bacteria (TAMB) and coliform group bacteria counts were identified. For the determination of physical and chemical properties, dry matter, fat, nonfat dry matter, lactose, protein, ash, pH, titratable acidity, refractive index, and specific gravity values were identified and the presence of carbonate, peroxidase, and antibiotics was researched. As a result of the research, in the 240 investigated raw milk samples in all seasons, the majority of mean dry matter, fat, nonfat dry matter, lactose, protein, ash, pH, titratable acidity, refractive index, specific gravity, carbonate, peroxidase, and antibiotic values were found to comply with the Turkish Food Codex Communiqué on Raw Milk and Heat Processed Drinking Milk. However, the TAMB and coliform group bacteria counts were not found to comply with these criteria. The main sources of variation in the study of milk collection center, season (apart from lactose), and milk collection center × season interaction were identified to have very significant effects (P < 0.01) on the microbiological, physical, and chemical properties of the milk samples.
1. Megha SV, Annadurai B. Isolation and Identification of Proteolytic Bacteria From Raw Milk Samples. Global Journal of Bio-Science and Biotechnology 2014; 3 (4): 391-397.
2. Metin M. Süt Teknolojisi: Sütün Bileşimi ve İşlenmesi. 15th ed. İzmir, Turkey: Ege Üniversitesi Mühendislik Fakültesi Yayınları; 2017 (in Turkish).
3. Turkish Food Codex Communiqué on Raw Milk and Heat Treated Drinking Milk, Communiqué No: 2000/6. Ankara, Turkey: Republic of Turkey Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry; 2000.
4. TS 1018 Cow Milk - Raw Standard. Ankara, Turkey: Turkish Standards Institution; 2002.
5. Maijala K. Cow milk and human development and wellbeing. Livestock Production Science 2000; 65 (1-2): 1-18. doi: 10.1016/S0301-6226(00)00194-9
6. Heck JML, Van Valenberg HJF, Dijkstra J, Van Hooijdonk ACM. Seasonal variation in the Dutch bovine raw milk composition. Journal of Dairy Science 2009; 92 (10): 4745- 4755. doi: 10.3168/jds.2009-2146
7. Wijesinha-Bettoni R, Burlingame B. Milk and dairy product composition. In: Muehlhoff E (editor). Milk and Dairy Products in Human Nutrition. Rome, Italy: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations; 2013. pp. 41-102.
8. Özhan M, Tüzemen N, Yanar M. Büyükbaş Hayvan Yetiştirme. Erzurum, Turkey: Atatürk Üniversitesi Ziraat Fakültesi Yayınları; 2012 (in Turkish).
9. Rajčević M, Potočnik K, Levstek J. Correlations between somatic cells count and milk composition with regard to the season. Agriculturae Conspectus Scientificus 2003; 68 (3): 221- 226.
10. Tekelioglu O, Cimen M, Soylu D, Soylu I. Milk components from machine milking cows in winter and spring periods. Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances 2010; 9 (4): 795-797. doi: 10.3923/javaa.2010.795.797
11. Sudhasaravanan R, Binukumari S. Microbial quality of raw and pasteurized milk samples collected from different regions of Madurai District, (T.N.) India. IOSR Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food Technology 2015; 9 (1): 71-73. doi: 10.9790/2402-09117173
12. T, Erbil F, Kurdal E. Sütün insan beslenmesindeki önemi. In: Proceedings of İçme Sütü Sempozyumu; Tekirdağ, Turkey; 1998. pp. 31-41 (in Turkish).
13. Dehinenet G, Mekonnen H, Ashenafi M, Emmanuelle G. Determinants of raw milk quality under a smallholder production system in selected areas of Amhara and Oromia National Regional States, Ethiopia. Agriculture and Biology Journal of North America 2013; 4 (1): 84-90. doi: 10.5251/abjna.2013.4.1.84.90
14. Diler A, Baran A. Determination of some quality characteristics of raw cow milk on smallholder dairy farms in Hinis District of Erzurum. Alınteri Zırai Bilimler Dergisi 2014; 26 (1): 18-24 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
15. Tekinşen OC. Süt Ürünleri Teknolojisi. Konya, Turkey: Selçuk Üniversitesi Yayınları; 1997 (in Turkish).
16. Kesenkaş H, Akbulut N. Determination of milk quality produced from middle and large scale dairy farms and informal/street milk quality sold in İzmir. Ege Ünivesitesi Ziraat Fakültesi Dergisi 2010; 47 (2): 161-169 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
17. Patır B, Can ÖP, Gürses M. Somatic cell counts in raw cow milk collected from different city. Fırat Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Veteriner Dergisi 2010; 24 (2): 87-91 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
18. Sayın C, Mencet MN, Taşcıoğlu Y. Evaluating the roles of milk collecting facilities against milk roundsman system. Akdeniz Üniversitesi Ziraat Fakültesi Dergisi 2010; 23 (2): 117-125 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
19. Kurt A, Çakmakçı S, Çağlar A. Süt ve Mamulleri Muayene ve Analiz Metotları Rehberi. Erzurum, Turkey: Atatürk Üniversitesi Ziraat Fakültesi Yayınları; 2012 (in Turkish).
20. Milk, Cream and Evaporated Milk-Determination of Total Solids Content. IDF 021:2010. Brussels, Belgium: International Dairy Federation; 2010.
21. Metin M. Süt ve Mamülleri Analiz Yöntemleri, 6th ed. İzmir, Turkey: Ege Üniversitesi Rektörlük Yayınları; 2012 (in Turkish). 22. Milk and Milk Products-Determination of Nitrogen Content. IDF 020-4: 2016. Brussels, Belgium: International Dairy Federation; 2016.
23. Oysun G. Süt ve Ürünlerinde Analiz Yöntemleri. İzmir, Turkey: Ege Üniversitesi Mühendislik Fakültesi Yayınları; 2011 (in Turkish).
24. Reybroeck W, Ooghe S, De Brabander HF, Daeseleire E. Validation of the βeta-s.t.a.r. 1 + 1 for rapid screening of residues of β-lactam antibiotics in milk. Food Additives & Contaminants 2010; 27 (8): 1084-1095. doi: 10.1080/19440041003724871
25. Bek Y, Efe E. Araştırma ve Deneme Metotları. Adana, Turkey: Çukurova Üniversitesi Ziraat Fakültesi Ders Notları; 1995 (in Turkish).
26. Turkish Food Codex Communiqué on Raw Milk and Heat Treated Drinking Milk, Communiqué No: 2009/14. Ankara, Turkey: Republic of Turkey Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry; 2009.
27. Üzüm M. The isolation of some pathogens and Salmonellashigella in raw milk sold in Ankara area. MSc, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey, 2006 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
28. Eser AG, Bilgücü E. Süt toplama merkezlerindeki çiğ inek sütlerinin mikrobiyolojik kalite kriterlerinin araştırılması: Biga örneği. In: Proceedings of Türkiye 12. Gıda Kongresi; Edirne, Turkey; 2016. p. 30 (in Turkish).
29. Beykaya M, Özbey A, Yıldırım Z. Determination of physical, chemical and microbiological properties of milk from some dairy plants in Sivas Province. Turkish Journal of Agriculture - Food Science and Technology 2017; 5 (4) : 388-396 (in Turkish with an abstract in English). doi: 10.24925/turjaf.v5i4.388- 396.1172
30. Dede C. İstanbul’da satılan sokak sütlerinin mikrobiyolojik olarak incelenmesi. MSc, Gebze Technical University, Kocaeli, Turkey, 2000 (in Turkish).
31. Akın MS, Yapık Ö, Akın MB. Some properties of raw milk obtained from dairy production farm and collectors in Adıyaman. Harran Tarım ve Gıda Bilimleri Dergisi 2016; 20 (4): 253-265 (in Turkish with an abstract in English). doi: 10.29050/harranziraat.282266
32. Yalçın H, Özdemir S, Gökalp HY, Kurt A. Çiğ inek sütlerinden izole edilen koliform grubu ve Staphylococcus aureus bakterilerinin tanımlanması. Gıda 1991; 16(2): 107-110 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
33. Atasoy FA, Turkoglu H, Ozer BH. Some microbiological properties of raw milk, yogurt and fresh urfa cheese produced and sold in Şanlıurfa Province. Harran Üniversitesi Ziraat Fakültesi Dergisi 2003; 7 (3-4): 77-83 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
34. Güllüce M, Leloğlu S, Ayyıldız A. Erzurum Bölgesi sütlerinin bakteriyolojik ve antibiyotik yönünden incelenmesi. In: Proceedings of 6. Ulusal KÜKEM Kongresi; Erzurum, Turkey; 1989. pp. 23-30 (in Turkish).
35. Uraz G, Yücel N. Çiğ sütlerde koliform grubu mikroorganizmalarının dağılımı üzerine bir araştırma. Gıda 1998; 23 (4): 241-245 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
36. Kurt A, Demirci M, Kurdal E. Erzurum piyasasında satılan sütlerin bileşimleri ve çeşitli hileler yönünde araştırılması ΙΙ Yaz mevsiminde piyasaya arzedilen sütler. Atatürk Üniversitesi Ziraat Fakültesi Dergisi 1977; 8 (4): 17-35 (in Turkish with an abstract in German).
37. Yaylak E, Alçiçek A, Konca Y, Uysal H. Determination of variations on some nutrients and physical characteristics of milk collected in winter months by dairy in Izmir’s County. Hayvansal Üretim Dergisi 2007; 48 (1): 26-32 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
38. Şekerden Ö, Özkütük K. Büyükbaş Hayvan Yetiştirme. Adana, Turkey: Çukurova Üniversitesi Ziraat Fakültesi Ders Kitabı; 1995 (in Turkish).
39. Tokur E. Physical and chemical properties of the milks sold in the streets of Ankara. MSc, Ankara University, Ankara, Turkey, 2006 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
40. Karakoç D, Çimen M, Demir N, Şos C, Gökyer H et al. Ağustos ve Kasım aylarında Batman İlinden elde edilen sütlerde ekonomik öneme sahip biyokimyasal parametreler. Bilim ve Gençlik Dergisi 2013; 1 (1): 19-23 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
41. Ateş R. A research: Determination of changes in the composition of raw milk provided from private farms and association of manufacturers in different region of turkey all the year round. MSc, Namık Kemal University, Tekirdağ, Turkey, 2015 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
42. Aslan M, Çimen M, Bal S. Elazığ İli Karakoçan İlçesinden elde edilen sütlerde yağ ve protein oranlarının AB ve Türk standartlarına uygunluklarının belirlenmesi. Tunceli Üniversitesi Bilim ve Gençlik Dergisi 2013; 1(2): 39-43 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
43. Gayretli D. Determination of seasonal and monthly changes of some biochemical parameters in milk obtained from Diyarbakir province. MSc, Tunceli University, Tunceli, Turkey, 2013 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
44. Özkan M. Effect of somatic cell count on raw milk composition and quality of dairy cattles. MSc, Namık Kemal University, Tekirdağ, Turkey, 2017 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
45. Ozrenk E, İnci SS. The effect of seasonal variation on composition of cow milk in Van province. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 2008; 7(1): 161-164. doi: 10.3923/pjn.2008.161.164
46. Jaeggi JJ, Wendorff WL, Romero J, Berger YM, Johnson ME. Impact of seasonal changes in ovine milk on composition and yield of a hard-pressed cheese. Journal of Dairy Science 2005; 88 (4): 1358-1363. doi: 10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72802-2
47. Önal AR. The determination of somatic cell count and some components of raw milk which evaluated by a private company in Trakya. MSc, Trakya University, Edirne, Turkey, 2005.
48. Tuncer K. Determination of some quality characteristics of raw milk samples collected from dairy farms in TR71 region. MSc, Ahi Evran University, Kırşehir, Turkey, 2015 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
49. Salman M, Khaskheli M, Ul-Haq I, Talpur R, Khuhro AP et al. Comparative studies on nutritive quality of buffalo and cow milk. International Journal of Research in Applied, Natural and Social Sciences 2014; 2 (12): 69-78.
50. Gemechu T, Beyene F, Eshetu M. Physical and chemical quality of raw cow’s milk produced and marketed in Shashemene Town, Southern Ethiopia. ISABB Journal of Food and Agricultural Science 2015; 5 (2): 7-13. doi:10.5897/ISABB-JFAS2014.0017
51. Kul E, Erdem H, Atasever S. Kaliteli çiğ süt üretiminin temel koşulları. In: Proceedings of Türkiye Süt Sığırcılığı Kurultayı; İzmir, Turkey; 2007. pp. 379-385 (in Turkish).
52. Özek K. Factors affecting composition of milk in dairy cattle and relation between nutrition and milk composition. Journal of Bahri Dagdas Animal Research 2015; 4 (2): 37-45 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
53. Yurt B, Uluçay B. Iğdır’da üretilen sütlerin bazı kimyasal özellikleri ve aflatoksin M1 miktarının belirlenmesi. Türk Doğa ve Fen Dergisi 2017; 6 (2): 32-39 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
54. Yapık Ö. A comparative study on the determination of some chemical and microbiological properties of street milk and raw milk produced in milk farm in Adıyaman. MSc, Harran University, Şanlıurfa, Turkey, 2014 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
55. Ceylan B, Çimen M, Bakır K, Oduncu İ. Farklı mevsimlerden elde edilen inek sütlerinde pH seviyelerinin peynir standartlarına uygunluklarının belirlenmesi. Bilim ve Gençlik Dergisi 2013; 1 (1): 7-12 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
56. Turkish Food Codex Communiqué on Raw Milk and Heat Treated Drinking Milk, Communiqué No: 2006/38. Ankara, Turkey: Republic of Turkey Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry; 2006.
57. Turkish Food Codex Regulation on the Classification of Pharmacologically Active Substances and Maximum Residue Limits in Foodstuffs of Animal Origin. Ankara, Turkey: Republic of Turkey Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry; 2017.
58. Duraklı-Velioğlu S. Determining the changes of antibiotic residues in milk with heat treatment and during storage. MSc, Trakya University, Edirne, Turkey, 2006.
59. Bakırcı İ, Akyüz N. Antibiotic residue problems in milk products. Yüzüncü Yıl Üniversitesi Ziraat Fakültesi Dergisi 1996; 6 (1): 119-131 (in Turkish with an abstract in English).
60. S.S. Kastamonu Köy Kalkınma Ve Diğer Tarımsal Amaçlı Kooperatifler Birliği 2017 Genel Kurul Kitapçığı. Kastamonu, Turkey: Kastamonu Köy Koop; 2017 (in Turkish).