Öz Heat stress is a lethal threat to chickens. This study investigated the protective effect of a Ginkgo biloba extract EGB761 against heat stress in chickens in vivo. A total of 200 one-day-old hens were separated randomly into control Con , heat stress HS , 0.1% EGB administration and heat stress 0.1% EGB+HS , 0.3% EGB administration and heat stress 0.3% EGB+HS , and 0.6% EGB administration and heat stress 0.6% EGB+HS groups. After EGB761 administration for 45 days, ten chickens were selected randomly, assigned to one of the designated groups, and exposed to a one-time heat stress condition of 38 ± 1 °C for 3 h. The results showed that EGB761 administration improved the growth performance and physiological condition of the chickens, reducing feeding-related mortality. EGB761 lowered the histological scores of the heart, liver, and duodenum in the heat-stressed chickens. EGB761 significantly reduced the transcription and translation levels of Hsp27, Hsp70, and Hsp90 in these organs. EGB761 might promote the transformation of Hsps in the heart, increase the nuclear translocation of Hsp27 and Hsp90 in hepatocytes, and regulate the accumulation of Hsp27 and Hsp70 in intestinal villi. Therefore, EGB761 administration is a potential method for protecting chickens from acute heat stress damage.
1. Bao E, Sultan KR, Bowak N, Hartung J. Expression and distribution of heat shock proteins in the heart of transported pigs. Cell Stress and Chaperones 2008; 13: 459-466.
2. Quinteiro-Filho WM, Rodrigues MV, Ribeiro A, Ferrazde-Paula V, Pinheiro ML et al. Acute heat stress impairs performance parameters and induces mild intestinal enteritis in broiler chickens: role of acute hypothalamic-pituitaryadrenal axis activation. Journal of Animal Science 2012; 90: 1986-1994.
3. Tang S, Yin B, Song E, Chen H, Cheng Y et al. Aspirin upregulates alphaB-crystallin to protect the myocardium against heat stress in broiler chickens. Scientific Reports 2016; 6: 37273.
4. Mymrikov EV, Seit-Nebi AS, Gusev NB. Large potentials of small heat shock proteins. Physiological Reviews 2011; 91: 1123-1159.
5. Hartl FU, Hayer-Hartl M. Molecular chaperones in the cytosol: from nascent chain to folded protein. Science 2002; 295: 1852- 1858.
6. Wegele H, Muller L, Buchner J. Hsp70 and Hsp90–a relay team for protein folding. Reviews of Physiology Biochemistry and Pharmacology 2004; 151: 1-44.
7. Xu J, Tang S, Song E, Yin B, Wu D et al. Hsp70 expression induced by co-enzyme Q10 protected chicken myocardial cells from damage and apoptosis under in vitro heat stress. Poultry Science 2017; 96: 1426-1437.
8. Lee CY, Yang JJ, Lee SS, Chen CJ, Huang YC et al. Protective effect of Ginkgo biloba leaves extract, EGb761, on endotoxininduced acute lung injury via a JNK- and Akt-dependent NFκB pathway. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2014; 62: 6337-6344.
9. Gauthier S, Schlaefke S. Efficacy and tolerability of Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761(R) in dementia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials. Clinical Interventions in Aging 2014; 9: 2065-2077.
10. Tan MS, Yu JT, Tan CC, Wang HF, Meng XF et al. Efficacy and adverse effects of ginkgo biloba for cognitive impairment and dementia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease 2015; 43: 589-603.
11. Abdel-Kader R, Hauptmann S, Keil U, Scherping I, Leuner K et al. Stabilization of mitochondrial function by Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761). Pharmacological Research 2007; 56: 493- 502.
12. Pierre SV, Lesnik P, Moreau M, Bonello L, Droy-Lefaix MT et al. The standardized Ginkgo biloba extract EGb-761 protects vascular endothelium exposed to oxidized low density lipoproteins. Cellular and Molecular Biology (Noisy-le-grand) 2008; 54 (Suppl.): OL1032-OL1042.
13. Zhang XH, Zhu HS, Qian Z, Tang S, Wu D et al. The association of Hsp90 expression induced by aspirin with anti-stress damage in chicken myocardial cells. Journal of Veterinary Science 2016; 17: 35-44.
14. Wu D, Xu J, Song E, Tang S, Zhang X et al. Acetyl salicylic acid protected against heat stress damage in chicken myocardial cells and may associate with induced Hsp27 expression. Cell Stress and Chaperones 2015; 20: 687-696.
15. Chen HB, Zhang XC, Cheng YF, Abdelnasir A, Tang S et al. Association of heat shock protein 70 expression with rat myocardial cell damage during heat stress in vitro and in vivo. Genetics and Molecular Research 2015; 14: 1994-2005.
16. Li Y, Xiong Y, Zhang H, Li J, Wang D et al. Ginkgo biloba extract EGb761 attenuates brain death-induced renal injury by inhibiting pro-inflammatory cytokines and the SAPK and JAKSTAT signalings. Scientific Reports 2017; 23: 45192.
17. Zhang XH, Sun ZY, Cao FL, Ahmad H, Yang XH et al. Effects of dietary supplementation with fermented ginkgo leaves on antioxidant capacity, intestinal morphology and microbial ecology in broiler chicks. British Poultry Science 2015; 56: 370- 380.
18. Liu X, Cao G, Zhou J, Yao X, Fang B. The effects of Bacillus coagulans-fermented and non-fermented Ginkgo biloba on abdominal fat deposition and meat quality of Peking duck. Poultry Science 2017; 96: 2264-2273.
19. Elsayed M, Elkomy A, Aboubakr M, Morad M. Tissue residues, hematological and biochemical effects of tilmicosin in broiler chicken. Veterinary Medicine International 2014; 2014: 502872.
20. Jabiry-Zieniewicz Z, Bobrowska K, Kaminski P, Wielgos M, Zieniewicz K et al. Low-dose hormonal contraception after liver transplantation. Transplantation Proceedings 2007; 39: 1530-1532.
21. Radosavljević T, Mladenović D, Vučević D, Petrović J, Hrnčić D et al. Effect of acute lindane and alcohol intoxication on serum concentration of enzymes and fatty acids in rats. Food and Chemical Toxicology 2008; 46: 1739-1743.
22. Yin B, Tang S, Sun J, Zhang X, Xu J et al. Vitamin C and sodium bicarbonate enhance the antioxidant ability of H9C2 cells and induce HSPs to relieve heat stress. Cell Stress and Chaperones 2018; 23: 735-748.
23. Sottile ML, Nadin SB. Heat shock proteins and DNA repair mechanisms: an updated overview. Cell Stress and Chaperones 2018; 23: 303-315.
24. Xu J, Tang S, Yin B, Sun J, Bao E. Co-enzyme Q10 upregulates Hsp70 and protects chicken primary myocardial cells under in vitro heat stress via PKC/MAPK. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 2018; 449: 195-206.
25. Zhang XH, Zhang M, Su YN, Wang Z, Zhao QL et al. Inhibition of heat stress-related apoptosis of chicken myocardial cells through inducing Hsp90 expression by aspirin administration in vivo. British Poultry Science 2018; 59: 308-317.
26. Dutta SM, Mustafi SB, Raha S, Chakraborty SK. Assessment of thermal stress adaptation by monitoring Hsp70 and MnSOD in the freshwater gastropod, Bellamya bengalensis (Lamark 1882). Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 2014; 186: 8961-8967.
27. Dutta SM, Mustafi SB, Raha S, Chakraborty SK. Biomonitoring role of some cellular markers during heat stress-induced changes in highly representative fresh water mollusc, Bellamya bengalensis: implication in climate change and biological adaptation. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 2018; 157: 482-490.
28. Xie J, Tang L, Lu L, Zhang L, Xi L et al. Differential expression of heat shock transcription factors and heat shock proteins after acute and chronic heat stress in laying chickens (Gallus gallus). PLoS One 2014; 9: e102204.
29. Geum D, Son GH, Kim K. Phosphorylation-dependent cellular localization and thermoprotective role of heat shock protein 25 in hippocampal progenitor cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2002; 277: 19913-19921.
30. Acunzo J, Katsogiannou M, Rocchi P. Small heat shock proteins HSP27 (HspB1), alpha B-crystallin (HspB5) and HSP22 (HspB8) as regulators of cell death. International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology 2012; 44: 1622-1631.
31. Mitchell MA, Carlisle AJ. The effects of chronic exposure to elevated environmental temperature on intestinal morphology and nutrient absorption in the domestic fowl (Gallus domesticus). Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A 1992; 101: 137-142.
32. Snoeckx LH, Cornelussen RN, Van Nieuwenhoven FA, Reneman RS, Van Der Vusse GJ. Heat shock proteins and cardiovascular pathophysiology. Physiological Reviews 2001; 81: 1461-1497.