Objective: This study aimed to evaluate the relationship between the calcification stages of permanent maxillary and mandibular canines and second premolars and skeletal maturity in both sexes. Methods: This study included 138 patients (82 females, 56 males) who were treated in the Department of Orthodontics, Altınbaş Uni- versity. The mean age of the patients was 12.31±1.76 years, ranging from 7.8 years to 15.8 years. Dental maturity stages of canines and second premolars were evaluated according to the Demirjian index on digital panoramic radiograph. The skeletal maturation stage was determined using the cervical vertebral maturation (CVM) index. The Pearson correlation analysis was performed to assess the association among CVM stages and calcification stages of canines, second premolars, sex, and chronological ages. Results: A statistically significant correlation was found between CVM and the calcification stages of the canines and second pre- molars (p
. Lai EH, LiuJP, ChangJZ, Tsai SJ, Yao Cc, ChenMh, et al. Radiographic assessment of skeletal maturation stages for orthodontic patient: Hand-Wrist Bones Or Cervical Vertebrae? J Formos Med Assoc 2008; 107: 316-25. [Crossref]
2. Proffit WR. Contemporary orthhodontics. 5th Ed. St.Louis: Mosby; 2013.p.73-75.
3. Björk A.Timing of interceptive orthodontic measures based on stages of maturation. Trans Eur Orthod Soc 1972; 48: 61-74.
4. Hagg U, Taranger J. Skeletal stages of the hand and wrist as indica- tors of the pubertal growt spurt. Act Odontol Scand 1980; 38:187- 200. [Crossref]
5. Kumar S, Singla A, Sharma R, Virdi MS, Anupam A, Mittal B. Skeletal maturation evaluation using mandibular second molar calcifcation stages. Angle Orthod 2012; 82: 501-6. [Crossref]
6. Srkoc T, Mestrovic S, Anic-Milosevic S, Slaj M. Association between dental and skeletal maturation stages in croatin subjects. Acta Clin Croat 2015; 54: 445-52.
7. Baccetti T,Franchi L,Mcnamara J. The cervical vertebral maturation (Cvm) method for the assessmnet of optional treatment in dentofa- cial orthopedics. Semin Orthod 2005; 11: 119-29. [Crossref]
8. Hassel B, Farman AG. Skeletal maturation evaluation using cervi- cal vertebrae. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1995; 107: 58-66. [Crossref]
9. Flores-Mir C, Nebbe B, Major PW. Use of skeletal maturation based on hand-wrist radiographic analysis as a predictor of facial growth: A Systematic Review. Angle Orthod 2004; 74: 118-24.
10. Demirjian A, Buschang PH, Tanguay R, Patterson DK. Interrelation- ships among measures of somatic, skeletal, dental and sexual ma- turity. Am J Orthod 1985; 88: 433-8. [Crossref]
11. Pandey M, Hamdani S, Ali SM, Goswami S, Rajpara. Dental age as - sessment of 7 to 15 years-old children of Rajasthan using Demirji- an’s method. Indian J Dent Res Rev 2012; 8-10.
12. Leurs IH, Wattel E, Aartman IH, Etty E, PrahlAndersen B. Dental age in Dutch children. Eur J Orthod 2005; 27: 30914. [Crossref]
13. Ozveren N, Serindere G. Comparison of the applicability of Demirjian and Willems methods for dental age estimation in children from the Thrace region, Turkey. Forensic Sci Int 2018; 285: 38-43. [Crossref]
14. Celikoglu M, Cantekin K, Ceylan I. Dental age assessment: the appli- cability of Demirjian method in eastern Turkish children. J Forensic Sci 2011; 56: 220-2. [Crossref]
15. Apaydin BK, Yasar F. Accuracy of the demirjian, willems and camer - iere methods of estimating dental age on turkish children. Niger J Clin Pract 2018; 21: 257-63.
16. DurãoAR, Alqerban A., Ferreira AP, Jacobs R. Influence of lateral cephalometric radiography in orthodontic diagnosis and treatment planning. Angle Orthod 2015; 85: 206-10. [Crossref]
17. Mccabe M, Rinchuse DJ. A survey of orthodontic practitioners re- garding the routine use of lateral cephalometric radiographs in or- thodontic treatment. Orthodontic Practice US 2014; 2.
18. Kamal AT, Shaikh A, Fida M. Assessment of skeletal maturity using the calcification stages of permanent mandibular teeth. Dental Press J Orthod 2018; 23: 44.E1-44.E8. [Crossref]
19. Trakinienė G, SmailienėD, Kučiauskienė A. Evaluation of skeletal maturity using maxillary canine, mandibular second and third mo- lar calcification stages. EurJ Orthod 2016; 398-403. [Crossref]
20. KumarS, Roy AS, Garg A, Hamid SB, TyagiS, Kumar A. Correlation be- tween maxillary canine calcification and skeletal maturation. J Clin Diagn Res 2017; 11: ZC13-ZC16. [Crossref]
21. Džemidžić V,Tiro A, Zukanović A, Redžić I, Nakaš E. Skeletal matu- rity assessment using mandibular canine calcification stages. Acta Medica Academica 2016; 45: 128-34. [Crossref]
22. Yılmaz SG, Harorlı A, Kılıç M, Bayrakdar IŞ. Evaluation of the relation- ship between the Demirjian and Nolla methods and the pubertal growth spurt stage predicted by skeletal maturation indicators in Turkish children aged 10-15: Investigation study. Acta Odontol Scand 2019; 77: 107-13. [Crossref]
23. Perinetti G, Callovi M, Salgarello S, Biasotto M, Contardo L. Erup- tion of the permanent maxillary canines in relation to mandib - ular second molar maturity. Angle Orthod 2013; 83: 578-83. [Crossref]
24. Diamanti J, TownsenGC.New standards for permanent tooth emergence in Australian children. Aust Dent J 2003; 48: 39-42. [Crossref]
25. Lamparski D. Skeletal age assessment utilizing cervical vertebrae (Thesis). Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh; 1972 (cited from Am J Orthod1995;107:55-8).
26. Hellsing E. Cervical vertebral dimensions in 8-, 11-and 15-year old children. Acta Odontol Scand 1991; 49: 207-13. [Crossref]
27. Srkoc T, Mestrovic S, Anic-Milosevic S, Slaj M. Association between dental and skeletalmaturation stages in Croatian subjects. Acta Clin Croat 2015; 54: 445-52.
28. Krailassiri S, Anuwongnukroh N, Dechkunakorn S. Relationship be- tween dental calcificationstages and skeletal maturity indicators in Thai individuals. Angle Orthod 2002; 72: 155-66.
29. Mittal S, Singla A, Virdi M, Sharma R, Mittal B. Co-relation between determination of skeletal maturation using cervical vertebrae and dental calcification stages. Internet J Forensic Sci 2009; 4: 1-9.
30. Berberoğlu M. Precocious puberty and normal variant puberty: Definition, etiology, diagnosis and current management. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol 2009; 1: 164-74.
31. Uysal T, Sari Z, Ramoglu SI, Basciftci FA. Relationships between den- tal and skeletal maturity in Turkish subjects. Angle Orthod 2004; 74: 657-64.
32. Ozturk T, Gumus S, Ozturk G. Are Dental Maturation, Skeletal Matu- ration, and Chronological Age Associated with Complete Cleft Lip and Palate? Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2020 Aug 3;1 055665620944776. [Ahead of Print]. [Crossref]
33. Cesur E, Arslan C, Patır Münevveroğlu A, Altuğ AT. Evaluation of dental age in İndividuals of different ages with unilateral cleft lip and palate. Turk J Orthod 2020; 18: 103-9. [Crossref]
34. Sen Tunc E, Koyutürk AE. Dental age assessment using Demirjian’s method on northern Turkish children. Forensic Sci Int 2008; 175: 23- 6. [Crossref]
35. Jayaraman J, Wong HM, King NM, Roberts GJ. The French-Canadian data set of Demirjian for dental age estimation: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Forensic Leg Med 2013; 20: 373-81. [Crossref]