Objectives: The purpose of this cross-sectional study was to determine physical fitness and anthropometric characteristics of a cohort of national youth female tennis players and to analyze the relationships between serve speed and aforementioned variables. Material and Methods: Twelve players, 15.1-18.6 years of age (16.4 ± 1.1 years), were tested on serve speed (radar gun), vertical jump (countermovement jump), linear speed (10- and 20-m sprints), agility (T agility test), maximal isometric grip strength, and a total of 16 anthropometric variables (body height, body weight, eight skinfolds, four girths, and two breadths). Body mass index (BMI), body fat percentage, muscle mass percentage, sum of skinfolds (three, six and eight), and somatotype components were calculated. The weight and string tension of the rackets were also recorded. Results: Descriptive results indicated similarities and differences in various measurements with those of the normative samples reported by previous studies. Serve speed was found to be significantly associated with body weight (r= .775, p
Amaç: Bu araştırmanın amacı genç milli tenis oyuncularının antropometrik ve fiziksel uygunluk özelliklerinin belirlenmesi ve bu değişkenlerin servis hızı ile ilişkilerinin incelenmesidir. Gereç ve Yöntemler: Araştırmaya katılan on iki oyuncunun (16.4 ± 1.1 yaş) servis hızı (spor radarı), dikey sıçrama (aktif sıçrama), sürat (10 ve 20 m), çeviklik (T çeviklik testi), el kavrama kuvveti ile bazı morfolojik özellikleri (boy uzunluğu, vücut ağırlığı, deri kıvrım kalınlığı, çevre ve çap) ölçüldü. Beden Kütle İndeksi (BKİ), vücut yağ ve kas yüzdesi, toplam deri kıvrım kalınlıkları ve somatotip değerleri elde edilen veriler ile hesaplandı. Ayrıca, oyuncuların kullandıkları raketlerin ağırlıkları ve tel tansiyonları not edildi. Bulgular: Araştırma sonuçları normatif grupların benzer özelliklerinin incelendiği geçmiş çalışmaların bulguları ile karşılaştırıldı ve çeşitli benzerlik ve farklıklar saptandı. Servis hızı ile vücut ağırlığı (r= .775, p
1. Fernandez-Fernandez J, Ulbricht A, Ferrauti A. Fitness testing of tennis players: how valuable is it? Br J Sports Med. 2014;48(Suppl 1):22-31.
2. Kramer T, Huijgen BC, Elferink-Gemser MT, et al. A longitudinal study of physical fitness in elite junior tennis players. Pediatr Exerc Sci. 2016;28(4):553-64.
3. Roetert EP, Garrett GE, Brown SW, et al. Performance profiles of nationally ranked junior tennis players. J Strength Cond Res. 1992;6(4):225-31.
4. Ulbricht A, Fernandez-Fernandez J, Mendez-Villanueva A, et al. Impact of fitness characteristics on tennis performance in elite junior tennis players. J Strength Cond Res. 2016;30(4):989-98.
5. Buti T, Elliott B, Morton A. Physiological and anthropometric profiles of elite prepubescent tennis players. Physician Sportsmed. 1984;12(1):111-6.
6. Gale-Watts AS, Nevill AM. From endurance to power athletes: The changing shape of successful male professional tennis players. Eur J Sport Sci. 2016;16(8): 948-54.
7. Sánchez-Muñoz C, Sanz D, Zabala M. Anthropometric characteristics, body composition and somatotype of elite junior tennis players. Br J Sport Med. 2007;41(11): 793-9.
8. Quinn A, Reid M. Screening and testing. In: Reid M, Quinn A, Crespo M, editors. ITF Strength and Conditioning for Tennis. London: ITF Ltd; 2003, p. 3-48.
9. Kovacs MS. Tennis physiology: training the competitive athlete. Sports Med. 2007;37(3):189-98.
10. Abrams GD, Sheets AL, Andriacchi TP, et al. Review of tennis serve motion analysis and the biomechanics of three serve types with implications for injury. Sports Biomech. 2011;10(4):378-90.
11. Cross R, Bower R. Effects of swing-weight on swing speed and racket power. J Sports Sci. 2006;24(1):23-30.
12. Martin C, Kulpa R, Delamarche P, et al. Professional tennis players' serve: correlation between segmental angular momentums and ball velocity. Sports Biomech. 2013;12(1):2-14.
13. Lohman TG, Roche AF, Martorell R. Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual. Champaign, Illinois: Human Kinetics Books; 1988.
14. Durnin JV, Womersley J. Body fat assessed from total body density and its estimation from skinfold thickness: measurements on 481 men and women aged from 16 to 72 years. Br J Nutr. 1974;32(1):77-97.
15. Siri WE. The gross composition of the body. In: Tobias CA, Lawrence JH, editors. Advances in Biological and Medical Physics. New York: Academic Press; 1956; p. 239-80.
16. Poortmans JR, Boisseau N, Moraine JJ, et al. Estimation of total-body skeletal muscle mass in children and adolescents. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2005;37(2):316-22.
17. Lindsay Carter JE, Honeyman Heath B. Somatotyping: Development and Applications (Cambridge Studies in Biological Anthropology vol. 5). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 1990.
18. Hoffman JR, Tenenbaum G, Maresh CM, et al. Relationship between athletic performance tests and playing time in elite college basketball players. J Strength Cond Res. 1996;10(2):67-71.
19. Okada T, Huxel KC, Nesser TW. Relationship between core stability, functional movement, and performance. J Strength Cond Res. 2011;25(1):252-61.
20. Vaverka F, Cernosek M. Quantitative assessment of the serve speed in tennis. Sports Biomech. 2016;15(1):48-60.
21. Bonato M, Maggioni M, Rossi C, et al. Relationship between anthropometric or functional characteristics and maximal serve velocity. J Sport Med Phys Fitness. 2015;55(10):1157-65.
22. Del Corral J, Prieto-Rodríguez J. Are differences in ranks good predictors for Grand Slam tennis matches? Int J Forecasting. 2010;26(3),551-63.
23. Cross R, Pollard G. Grand Slam men’s singles tennis 1991-2009 serve speeds and other related data. ITF Coaching Sport Sci Rev. 2009;16(49):8-10.
24. Söğüt M. Ball speed during the tennis serve in relation to skill level and body height. Pamukkale J Sport Sci. 2016;7(2):51-7.
25. Söğüt M. Stature: Does it really make a difference in match-play outcomes among professional tennis players? Int J Perform Analysis Sport. 2018;18(2):255-61.
26. Vaverka F, Cernosek M. Association between body height and serve speed in elite tennis players. Sports Biomech. 2013;12(1):30-7.
27. Wong FK, Keung JH, Lau NM, et al. Effects of body mass index and full body kinematics on tennis serve speed. J Hum Kinet. 2014; 40(1):21-8.
28. Bahamonde RE. Changes in angular momentum during the tennis serve. J Sports Sci. 2000;18(8):579-92.
29. Knudson DV, Noffal GJ, Bahamonde RE, et al. Stretching has no effect on tennis serve performance. J Strength Cond Res. 2004;18(3): 654-6.
30. Elliott B. Biomechanics and tennis. Br J Sports Med. 2006;40(5):392-6.
31. Pugh SF, Kovaleski JE, Heitman RJ, et al. Upper and lower body strength in relation to ball speed during a serve by male collegiate tennis players. Percept Mot Skills. 2003;97(3 Pt1):867-72.