Sarcomatoid carcinoma of the lung is a rare, poorly differentiated, low-grade carcinoma in the non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) group. It is a very aggressive tumor; the 5-year survival rate in patients with sarcomatoid carcinoma does not exceed 20%. There are a limited number of retrospective screenings of sarcomatoid carcinoma cases and case reports in the literature. The diagnosis, treatment, and prognostic features of sarcomatoid carcinoma are not well known compared with other NSCLCs. However, studies of sarcomatoid carcinoma have demonstrated that the prognosis is poor and response to standard chemotherapy treatment is not as good as seen with other NSCLCs. Presently described is a rare case diagnosed by thoracic ultrasonography-guided transthoracic biopsy.
1. Chen CH, Chen WM, Tung SY, Wu CS, Tong WL, Lee KF, et al. Gastrointestinal metastasis from primary sarcomatoid carcinoma of the lung: a case report and review of the literature. World J Surg Oncol 2015;13:174 . 2. Yılmazbayhan D, Özlük Y. Küçük hücreli akciğer karsinomlarında patoloji. Journal of Clinical and Analytical Medicine 2010;1:8–15.
3. Ikezoe J, Sone S, Higashihara T, Morimoto S, Arisawa J, Kuriyama K. Sonographically guided needle biopsy for diagnosis of thoracic lesions. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1984;143:229–34
4. Wang HC, Yu CJ, Chang DB, Yuan A, Lee YC, Yang PC, et al. Transthoracic needle biopsy of thoracic tumours by a colour Doppler ultrasound puncture guiding device. Thorax 1995;50:1258–63.
5. Huang SY, Shen SJ, Li XY. Pulmonary sarcomatoid carcinoma: a clinicopathologic study and prognostic analysis of 51 cases. World J Surg Oncol 2013;11:252.
6. Pelosi G, Melotti F, Cavazza A, Rossi G, Maisonneuve P, Graziano P, et al. A modified vimentin histological score helps recognize pulmonary sarcomatoid carcinoma in small biopsy samples. Anticancer Res 2012;32:1463–73.
7. Kaira K, Horie Y, Ayabe E, Murakami H, Takahashi T, Tsuya A, et al. Pulmonary pleomorphic carcinoma: a clinicopathological study including EGFR mutation analysis. J Thorac Oncol 2010;5:460–5.
8. Leone A, Graziano P, Gasbarra R, Paone G, Cardillo G, Mancuso A, et al. Identification of EGFR mutations in lung sarcomatoid carcinoma. Int J Cancer 2011;128:732–5.
9. Franks TJ, Galvin JR. Sarcomatoid carcinoma of the lung: histologic criteria and common lesions in the differential diagnosis. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2010;134:49–54.
10. Wang HC, Yu CJ, Chang DB, Yuan A, Lee YC, Yang PC, et al. Transthoracic needle biopsy of thoracic tumours by a colour Doppler ultrasound puncture guiding device. Thorax 1995;50:1258–63.
11. Laursen CB, Naur TM, Bodtger U, Colella S, Naqibullah M, Minddal V, et al. Ultrasound-guided Lung Biopsy in the Hands of Respiratory Physicians: Diagnostic Yield and Complications in 215 Consecutive Patients in 3 Centers. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol 2016;23:220–8.
12. Jiang X, Liu Y, Chen C, Zhan Z, Yan Q, Guo Y, et al. The value of biomarkers in patients with sarcomatoid carcinoma of the lung: molecular analysis of 33 cases. Clin Lung Cancer 2012;13:288–96.
13. Gu L, Xu Y, Chen Z, Pan Y, Lu S. Clinical analysis of 95 cases of pulmonary sarcomatoid carcinoma. Biomed Pharmacother 2015;76:134–40.