Objectives: This methodological study was designed to determine the validity and reliability of a Turkish version of the Birth Memories and Recall Questionnaire (BirthMARQ). Methods: The study sample consisted of 400 women who were patients of 9 family health centers in Eskisehir, Turkey, and who had a child aged 0–12 months. The data were collected using a sociodemographic data form, the BirthMARQ, and the Edinburgh Postpartum Depression Scale. Validity and reliability analyses of the scale were performed using the responses of 387 women who completed the scales. Results: The linguistic validity of the BirthMARQ was determined to be sufficient after translation, back-translation, and expert consultation. The content validity index of the scale was 0.95. The Kaiser-Meyer-Olkin coefficient was 0.759 and the Bartlett chi-squared test value was 3079.458 (p
1. Ghanbari-Homayi S, Fardiazar Z, Meedya S, Mohammad-Alizadeh-Charandabi S, Asghari-Jafarabadi M, Mohammadi E, et al. Predictors of traumatic birth experience among a group of Iranian primipara women: a cross sectional study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2019;19:182.
2. Aktaş S: Multigravidas’ perceptions of traumatic childbirth: Its relation to some factors, the effect of previous type of birth and experience. Med Science 2018;7:203–9.
3. Foley S, Crawley R, Wilkie S, Ayers S. The birth memories and recall questionnaire (BirthMARQ): development and evaluation. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2014;14:211.
4. İsbir GG, İnci F. Traumatic childbirth and nursing approaches. Kadın Sağlığı Hemşireliği Dergisi 2014;1:29–40.
5. Pašalic M, Hasanovic M. Treating childbirth trauma with EMDR - a case report. Psychiatr Danub 2018;30(Suppl 5):265–70.
6. Beck CT, Driscoll JW, Watson S: Traumatic childbirth. 1st ed., London: Routledge; 2013.
7. Elmir R, Schmied V, Wilkes L, Jackson D. Women's perceptions and experiences of a traumatic birth: a meta-ethnography. J Adv Nurs 2010;66:2142–53.
8. Peeler S, Stedmon J, Chung MC, Skirton H. Women's experiences of living with postnatal PTSD. Midwifery 2018;56:70–8.
9. Matos M, Pinto-Gouveia J. Shame as a traumatic memory. Clin Psychol Psychother 2010;17:299–312.
10. van Giezen AE, Arensman E, Spinhoven P, Wolters G. Consistency of memory for emotionally arousing events: a review of prospective and experimental studies. Clin Psychol Rev 2005;25:935–53.
11. Reed R, Sharman R, Inglis C: Women’s descriptions of childbirth trauma relating to care provider actions and interactions. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2017;17:21.
12. Størksen HT, Garthus-Niegel S, Adams SS, Vangen S, Eberhard-Gran M. Fear of childbirth and elective caesarean section: a population-based study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2015;15:221.
13. Brummelte S, Galea LA. Postpartum depression: etiology, treatment and consequences for maternal care. Horm Behav 2016;77:153–66.
14. Brown AT. Confirmatory factor analysis for applied research. In Brown AT, editor. Statistical power and sample size. 2nd ed., New York, NY: A Division of Guilford Publications; 2015. p. 380–1.
15. Engindeniz AN, Küey L, Kültür S. Edinburgh Doğum Sonrası Depresyon Ölçeği Türkçe formu geçerlilik ve güvenilirlik çalışması. Bahar Sempozyumları 1996;1:51–2.
16. Polit DF, Beck CT. The content validity index: are you sure you know what's being reported? Critique and recommendations. Res Nurs Health 2006;29:489–97.
17. Altunişik R, Coşkun R, Bayraktaroğlu S, Yildirim E. Sosyal bilimlerde Araştırma Yöntemleri. Sakarya: Sakarya Yayıncılık; 2007.
18. Ozdamar K. Eğitim, Sağlık ve Davranış Bilimlerinde Ölçek ve Test Geliştirme/Yapısal Eşitlik Modellemesi: IBM SPSS, IBM AMOS ve MINITAB Uygulamalı. Eskisehir: Nisan Kitabevi; 2016.
19. Baloğlu N, Karadağ E: Teacher efficacy and Ohio Teacher Efficacy Scale: adaptation for Turkish culture, language validity and examination of factor structure. Educational Administration: Theory and Practice 2008;56:571–606.
20. De Vellis RF. Scale development, theory and applications. 3rd ed., India; Sage Publication; 2012.
21. Gözüm S, Aksayan S. A guide for transcultural adaptation of the scale II: psychometric characteristics and cross-cultural comparison. Turkish Journal of Research and Development in Nursing 2003;5:3–14.
22. Şimsek ÖF. Yapısal Eşitlik Modellemesine Giriş: Temel İlkeler ve LISREL Uygulamaları. Ankara: Ekinoks Yayınları; 2007.
23. Yaşlıoğlu MM. Factor analysis and validity in social sciences: application of exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses. Istanbul University Journal of the School of Business 2017,46:74–85.
24. Hooper D, Coughlan J, Mullen M. Structural equation modelling: guidelines for determining model fit. Electronic Journal of Business Research Methods 2008;6:53–60.