Objectives: The aim of this study was to evaluate 18F-fluoro-2-deoxy-glucose (FDG) uptake patterns in primary tumors and metastatic lesions, and also to assess the diagnostic contribution of positron emission tomography/computed tomography (PET/CT) in the initial staging of gastric cancer (GC).Methods: The total number of 341 patients with GC were included in this study. All 18F-FDG PET/CT imagings were performed for initial staging. The maximum standardized uptake value (SUVmax) of primary tumor, obtained from 18F-FDG PET/CT imaging was compared between subtypes of GC.Results: Mean SUVmax of 339 patients’ primary tumor was 12.9±8.6. The highest mean SUVmax was detected in patients with medullary subtype GC (17.8±9.9) while the lowest mean SUVmax (9.7±7.6) was seen in signet ring cell carcinoma (SRCC). The primary mean SUVmax was found statistically higher in adenocarcinoma (AC) group than SRCC group (p3 cm) in patients with AC (p=0.03). Primary tumor SUVmax was found statistically higher in regional lymph node (RLN) positive patients than in RLN negative patients in AC and SRCC groups (p
Amaç: Bu çalışmanın amacı primer tümörlerde ve metastatik lezyonlarda 18F-floro-2-deoksi-glukoz (18F-FDG) tutulum paternlerini değerlendirmek ve ayrıca mide kanserinin (MK) evrelemesinde pozitron emisyon tomografi/bilgisayarlı tomografi’nin (PET/BT) tanısal katkısını değerlendirmektir.Yöntem: Çalışmaya toplam 341 MK hastası dahil edildi. Primer evreleme 18F-FDG PET/BT görüntüleme ile yapıldı. 18F-FDG PET/BT görüntülemeden elde edilen primer tümöre ait maksimum standart tutulum (SUVmax) MK alt tipleri arasında karşılaştırıldı.Bulgular: Üç yüz otuz dokuz hastaya ait primer tümörün ortalama SUVmax değeri 12,9±8,6 idi. En yüksek ortalama SUVmax, medüller alt tip MK’li hastalarda (17,8±9,9), en düşük ortalama SUVmax (9,7±7,6), taşlı yüzük hücreli mide kanserinde (TYHMK) görüldü. Ortalama SUVmax, adenokarsinom (AK) grubunda TYHMK grubundan istatistiksel olarak daha yüksek bulundu (p3 cm) ile istatistiksel olarak anlamlı derecede ilişkili bulundu (p=0,03). Primer tümör SUVmax, bölgesel lenf nodu (RLN) pozitif olan hastalarda AK ve TYHMK gruplarındaki RLN negatiflerden anlamlı olarak yüksek bulundu (p
Luo G, Zhang Y, Guo P, Wang L, Huang Y, Li K. Global patterns and trends in stomach cancer incidence: Age, period and birth cohort analysis. Int J Cancer 2017;141:1333-1344.
Schumacher SE, Shim BY, Corso G, Ryu MH, Kang YK, Roviello F, Saksena G, Peng S, Shivdasani RA, Bass AJ, Beroukhim R. Somatic copy number alterations in gastric adenocarcinomas among Asian and Western patients. PLoS One 2017;12:e0176045.
GE4GAC group, Soares FA, Coimbra FJF, Pelosof AG, Freitas HC, Begnami MD, Costa WL, Fannelli MF, Mello CAL, Amorim MG, Pizzi MP, Caramelo L, Ferreira EN, Barros BDF, Torrezan GT, Ramalho R, Carraro DM, Chulam T, Carvalho FS, Carvalho DD, Krepischi ACV, Santos ET, Coelho LGV, Sant’Ana RO, Burbano RR, Assumpção P, Setúbal JC, Thomas AM, Chinen LTD, Braun AC, Alves V, Cassinela EK, Oliveira GP, Landemberger MC, Valieris R, Drummond R, Silva IG, Cézar R, Calsavara VF, Nóbrega CR, Bobrovnitchaia IG, Bartelli TF, Baladão GPB, Pereira ACC, Gatti CM, Abrantes LLS, Martins VR, Nunes DN, Curado MP, Neto ED. Genomics and epidemiology for gastric adenocarcinomas. Applied Cancer Research, 2017;37:1-9.
Shah MA, Strong VE, Boughey JC. A new approach for advanced gastric cancer: Using PET scans as a biomarker of preoperative chemotherapy efficacy. Bull Am Coll Surg 2017;102:46-48.
Wu Z, Zhao J, Gao P, Song Y, Sun J, Chen X, Ma B, Wang Z. Prognostic value of pretreatment standardized uptake value of F-18- fluorodeoxyglucose PET in patients with gastric cancer: a meta-analysis. BMC Cancer 2017;17:275.
Groheux D, Cochet A, Humbert O, Alberini JL, Hindié E, Mankoff D. 18F-FDG PET/CT for staging and restaging of breast cancer. J Nucl Med 2016;57:17-26.
Cerfolio RJ, Bryant AS. Maximum standardized uptake values on positron emission tomography of esophageal cancer predicts stage, tumor biology, and survival. Ann Thorac Surg 2006;82:391-395.
Lopez Guerra JL, Gladish G, Komaki R, Gomez D, Zhuang Y, Liao Z. Large decreases in standardized uptake values after definitive radiation are associated with better survival of patients with locally advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer. J Nucl Med 2012;53:225-233.
Filik M, Kir KM, Aksel B, Soyda Ç, Özkan E, Küçük ÖN, İbiş E, Akgül H. The role of 18F-FDG PET/CT in the primary staging of gastric cancer. Mol Imaging Radionucl Ther 2015;24:15-20.
Kaneko Y, Murray WK, Link E, Hicks RJ, Duong C. Improving patient selection for 18F-FDG PET scanning in the staging of gastric cancer. J Nucl Med 2015;56:523-529.
11. Amin MB, Edge SB, Greene FL, Brierley JD. AJCC cancer staging manual. 8th ed. New York: Springer; 2017.
12. Bosman FT, Carreiro F, Ralph H. Hruban, Teise N, eds. World Health Organization Classification of Tumours of the Digestive System. 4th ed. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO Press; 2010.
13. Lee JW, Lee SM, Lee MS, Shin HC. Role of 18 F-FDG PET/CT in the prediction of gastric cancer recurrence after curative surgical resection. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2012;39:1425-1434.
14. SEER Cancer Statistics Factsheets: Stomach Cancer. National Cancer Institute. Bethesda, MD, Accessed in 21 Apr 2016. Available from: http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/stomach.html
15. Liu X, Cai H, Sheng W, Yu L, Long Z, Shi Y, Wang Y. Clinicopathological characteristics and survival outcomes of primary signet ring cell carcinoma in the stomach: retrospective analysis of single center database. PLoS One 2015;10:e0144420.
16. Chen R, Zhou X, Liu J, Huang G. Relationship between 18F-FDG PET/CT findings and HER2 expression in gastric cancer. J Nucl Med 2016;57:1040-1044.
17. Stahl A, Ott K, Weber WA, Becker K, Link T, Siewert JR, Schwaiger M, Fink U. FDG PET imaging of locally advanced gastric carcinomas: correlation with endoscopic and histopathological findings. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2003;30:288–295.
18. Yun M. Imaging of Gastric Cancer Metabolism Using 18 F-FDG PET/CT. J Gastric Cancer 2014;14:1-6.
19. Mukai K, Ishida Y, Okajima K, Isozaki H, Morimoto T, Nishiyama S. Usefulness of preoperative FDG-PET for detection of gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer 2006;9:192-196.
20. Kim SK, Kang KW, Lee JS, Kim HK, Chang HJ, Choi JY, Lee JH, Ryu KW, Kim YW, Bae JM. Assessment of lymph node metastases using 18F-FDG PET in patients with advanced gastric cancer. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2006;33:148-155.
21. Song BI, Kim HW, Won KS, Ryu SW, Sohn SS, Kang YN. Preoperative standardized uptake value of metastatic lymph nodes measured by 18F-FDG PET/CT improves the prediction of prognosis in gastric cancer. Medicine (Baltimore) 2015;94:e1037.
22. Kwon HW, An L, Kwon HR, Park S, Kim S. Preoperative Nodal (18)F-FDG Avidity Rather than Primary Tumor Avidity Determines the Prognosis of Patients with Advanced Gastric Cancer. J Gastric Cancer 2018;18:218229.
23. Oh HH, Lee SE, Choi IS, Choi WJ, Yoon DS, Min HS, Ra YM, Moon JI, Kang YH. The peak standardized uptake value (P-SUV) by preoperative positron emission tomography‐computed tomography (PET-CT) is a useful indicator of lymph node metastasis in gastric cancer. J Surg Oncol 2011;104:530-533.
24. Smyth E, Schöder H, Strong VE, Capanu M, Kelsen DP, Coit DG, Shah MA. A prospective evaluation of the utility of 2-de- oxy-2-[(18) F]fluoroD-glucose positron emission tomography and computed tomography in staging locally advanced gastric cancer. Cancer 2012;118:5481-5488.
25. Kawanaka Y, Kitajima K, Fukushima K, Mouri M, Doi H, Oshima T, Niwa H, Kaibe N, Sasako M, Tomita T, Miwa H, Hirota S. Added value of pretreatment (18)F-FDG PET/CT for staging of advanced gastric cancer: comparison with contrast-enhanced MDCT. Eur J Radiol 2016;85:989- 995.
26. Altini C, Niccoli Asabella A, Di Palo A, Fanelli M, Ferrari C, Moschetta M, Rubini G.18F-FDG PET/CT role in staging of gastric carcinomas: comparison with conventional contrast enhancement computed tomography. Medicine (Baltimore) 2015;94:e864.