DETERMINATION OF UNIVERSITY STUDENTS’ HPV KNOWLEDGE LEVELS AND THE AFFECTING FACTORS: A SAMPLE OF NORTHERN CYPRUS
DETERMINATION OF UNIVERSITY STUDENTS’ HPV KNOWLEDGE LEVELS AND THE AFFECTING FACTORS: A SAMPLE OF NORTHERN CYPRUS
Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), infecting millions of men and women every year, is one of the most common STDs causing high mortality and morbidity rates. This study aims to determine university students’ Human Papilloma Virus knowledge levels and the affecting factors. The descriptive and cross-sectional study was conducted with a sample of 369 students who were enrolled in the Turkish undergraduate and associate degree programs at a university in Northern Cyprus and met the research criteria. Data were collected through the Personal Information Form and the Human Papilloma Virus Knowledge Measure (HPV-KM). Of all the students 47.7% were aged 18-21 years, 50.1% were women, and only 1.1% had been vaccinated against HPV. The total mean score obtained from the HPV-KM was found 19.11±42. Factors affecting the HPV-KM scores were found as age (p=0.000), income level (p=0.000), place of living (p=0.000), family structure (p=0.000), program enrolled (0.000), parents’ education level (p=0.000), parents’ working (p=0.000), smoking (p=0.000), using alcohol (p=0.000), being sexually active (p=0.000), and knowing about sexually transmitted diseases (p=0.000). Students have an above-average HPV knowledge level and several socio-demographic factors affect the HPV knowledge level. HPV vaccination rates are quite low.
- World Health Organization (2006). Human papillomavirus (HPV). [Online]. Available From: https://www.who.int/teams/health-product-policy-and-standards/standards-and-specifications/vaccine-standardization/human-papillomavirus
- World Health Organization (2022). Cervical cancer. [Online]. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/cervical-cancer
- Khan, I., Harshithkumar, R., More, A., Mukherjee, A., "Human papilloma virus: An unraveled enigma of universal burden of malignancies", Pathogens, 12(4), 2-24, 2023. https://doi.org/10.3390/pathogens12040564.
- HPV Information Center (2023). Human papillomavirus and related diseases report. [Online]. Available from: https://hpvcentre.net/statistics/reports/XWX.pdf
- International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (2021). HPV vaccination and cervical cancer: A global picture. [Online]. Available from: https://www.figo.org/news/hpv-vaccination-and-cervical-cancer-global-picture
- Bruni, L., Saura-Lázaro, A., Montoliu, A., Brotons, M., Alemany, L., Diallo, M.S.,…&Bloem, P., "HPV vaccination introduction worldwide and WHO and UNICEF estimates of national HPV immunization coverage 2010-2019" Prev Med., 144, 106399, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2020.106399.
- National Cancer Institute (2022). Why are many women overdue for cervical cancer screening? [Online]. Available from: https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/cancer-currents-blog/2022/overdue-cervical-cancer-screening-increasing
- Arby, M., Weiderpass, E., Bruni, L., de Sanjosé, S., Saraiya, M., Ferlay, J., Bray F., "Estimates of incidence and mortality of cervical cancer in 2018: A worldwide analysis", Lancet Glob Health, 8(2), 191-203, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(19)30482-6.
- Burchell, A.N., Winer, R.L., de Sanjosé, S., Franco, E.L., "Chapter 6: Epidemiology and transmission dynamics of genital HPV infection", Vaccine, 24(3), 52-61, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2006.05.031.
- Dunne, E.F., Unger, E.R., Sternberg, M., McQuillan, G., Swan, D.C., Patel, S.S., Markowitz, L.E., "Prevalence of HPV infection among females in the United States", JAMA, 297(8), 813-19, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.297.8.813.
- Manhart, L.E., Holmes, K.K., Koutsky, L.A., Wood, T.R., Kenney, D.L., Feng, Q., Kiviat, N.B., "Human papillomavirus infection among sexually active young women in the United States: Implications for developing a vaccination strategy", Sex Transm Dis., 33(8), 502-8, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.olq.0000204545.89516.0a.
- Aga, S.S., Yasmeen, N., Khan, M.A., Hakami, A.Y., Awadh, A., Malli, I.A., "Knowledge, attitudes, and perception toward human papillomavirus among health profession students: A cross-sectional study in King Saud Bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences", J Educ Health Promot., 11(141), 1-14, 2022. https://doi.org/10.4103/jehp.jehp_640_21.
- Aksoy, H., Dağcıoğlu, K., Durmuş, M., Uyan, D.D., Sari, E., Fidancı, İ., Başer, D.A., Cankurtaran, M., "The knowledge level of medical students about cervical cancer and their attitudes towards Human Papilloma Virus vaccine", The Journal of Turkish Family Physician, 12(2), 66-75, 2021. https://doi.org/10.15511/tjtfp.21.00266.
- Alshammari, F., Khan, K.U., "Knowledge, attitudes and perceptions regarding human papillomavirus among university students in Hail, Saudi Arabia", PeerJ., 10:e13140, 2022. https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.13140.
- Altamimi, T., "Human papillomavirus and its vaccination: Knowledge and attitudes among female university students in Saudi Arabia", J Family Med Prim Care, 9, 1849-55, 2020. https://doi.org/0.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_1205_19.
- Chew, K.T., Kampan, N., Shafiee, M.N., "Perception and knowledge of human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine for cervical cancer prevention among fully vaccinated female university students in the era of HPV vaccination: A cross-sectional study", BMJ Open, 11, e047479, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2020-047479
- Khan, T.M., Buksh, M.A., Rehman, I.U., Saleem, A., "Knowledge, attitudes, and perception towards human papillomavirus among university students in Pakistan", Papillomavirus Res., 2, 122-127, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pvr.2016.06.001.
- Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (2020). Statistical Yearbook 2020. [Online]. Available from: https://stat.gov.ct.tr/Portals/39/IST-YILLIK-2020.pdf
- Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus Ministry of Health (2019). Adult vaccination guide. [Online]. Available from: http://saglik.gov.ct.tr/ONLINE-HİZMETLER/ERİŞKİN-AŞILAMA-REHBERİ
- Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus Ministry of Health (2016). Cancer Registry Project in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. [Online]. Available from: http://saglik.gov.ct.tr/ONLINE-HİZMETLER/İSTATİSTİKİ-BİLGİLER/KANSER-İSTATİSTİKLERİ
- Demir F. Validity and reliability of the Turkish version of Human Papilloma Virus Knowledge Scale. Master's Thesis. Gulhane Institute of Health Sciences, Ankara, 2019.
- Chen, G., Wu, B., Dai, X., Zhang, M., Liu, Y., Huang, H.,…& Wu, Z., "Gender differences in knowledge and attitude towards HPV and HPV vaccine among college students in Wenzhou, China", Vaccines (Basel), 10(1), 2-12, 2021. https://doi.org/10.3390/vaccines10010010.
- Cinar, İ.O., Ozkan, S., Aslan, G.K., Alatas, E. "Knowledge and behavior of university students toward Human Papillomavirus and vaccination", Asia Pac J Oncol Nurs., 6(3), 300-307, 2019. https://doi.org/10.4103/apjon.apjon_10_19.
- Tosun, H., Gül, A., Yazıcı, S., "Survey on the knowledge level and attitudes of university students about human papilloma virus infection and vaccination and assessing healthy living behaviors", J Public Health, 30, 273–280, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10389-020-01420-x
- Barnard, M., George, P., Perryman, M.L., Wolff, L.A., "Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine knowledge, attitudes, and uptake in college students: Implications from the Precaution Adoption Process Model", PLoS ONE, 12(8), 1-9, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal. pone.0182266
- Preston, S.M., Darrow, W.W., "Are men being left behind (Or Catching Up)? Differences in HPV awareness, knowledge, and attitudes between diverse college men and women", American Journal of Men’s Health, 13(6), 1-12, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1177/1557988319883776.
- Widjaja, V.N., "Awareness, knowledge and attitudes of Human Papillomavirus (HPV) among private university students- Malaysia perspective", Asian Pac J Cancer Prev., 20(7), 2045-2050, 2019. https://doi.org/10.31557/APJCP.2019.20.7.2045.
- Rahman, M. E., Moonajilin, M. S., Bishwas, M. S., Banik. R., Pinky, G.N., Alin, S.I., "Awareness, knowledge about Human papillomavirus and attitude towards its vaccine among university students: A Bangladeshi pilot study", Asian J. Health Sci., 5(2), 1-10, 2019.
- Khatiwada, M., Kartasasmita, C., Mediani, H.S., Delprat, C., Van Hal, G., Dochez, C., "Knowledge, attitude and acceptability of the Human Papilloma Virus Vaccine and Vaccination Among University Students in Indonesia", Front. Public Health, 9, 616456, 2021. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2021.616456.
- Ali, D.M.D., Hassan, Y., Ahmad, A., Ghosn, S.A., Ahmad, W., Al-Abduljabbar, E.,…& Al-Shatti, B., "Knowledge, attitudes and practices toward human papillomavirus infection among undergraduate pharmacy students in Saudi Arabia", Pharmacy Education, 22(1), 629–636, 2022. https://doi.org/10.46542/pe.2022.221.629636.
- Srinivas, V., Fehrenbacher, A.E., Shashikala, N., Perduru, S., Krupp, K., Khan, M., "Knowledge, attitudes, beliefs and willingness to recommend human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination among medical students in Mysore, India", Int J Preven Curat Comm Med., 6(4), 9-18, 2020. https://doi.org/10.24321/2454.325X.202015.
- Chowdhury, S., Ara, R., Roy, S., Tanvir, S.M.S., Eva, F.N., Neela, T.M.,….& Hawlader, M.D.H., "Knowledge, attitude, and practices regarding human papillomavirus and its' vaccination among the young medical professionals and students of Bangladesh", Clin Exp Vaccine Res., 11(1), 63-71, 2022. https://doi.org/10.7774/cevr.2022.11.1.63.
- Gollu, A.N., Gore, C.A., "Knowledge, awareness and attitude of medical students regarding HPV infection and HPV vaccination", Asian Pac J Cancer Care, 6 (1), 41-46, 2021. https://doi.org/10.31557/APJCC.2021.6.1.41.
- Güneysu Tunaman, S., Eryılmaz, N., Kösretaş, B., "The Knowledge Levels and Health Beliefs of Vocational School of Health Services Students about Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) and Vaccine", Journal of Inonu University Health Services Vocational School, 10(1), 180-198, 2022. https://doi.org/10.33715/inonusaglik.1053013
- Altobelli, E., Rapacchietta, L., Profeta, V.F., Fagnano, R., "HPV‐vaccination and cancer cervical screening in 53 WHO European Countries: An update on prevention programs according to income level", Cancer Med., 8, 2524‐2534, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.2048
- Sezgin, D., "Health and medicalization in gender perspective", Journal of Sociological Research, 18(1), 153-186, 2015.
- Monteiro, D.L.M., Brollo, L.C.S., Souza, T.P., Santos, J.R.P.D., Santos, G.R., Correa, T.,…&Trajano, A.J.P., "Knowledge on the HPV vaccine among university students", Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo, 60, 1-8, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1590/s1678-9946201860046.
- Wanderley, M.S., Sobral, D.T., Resende, C.N., Levino, L.A., Marques, L.A., Feijo, M.S., Aragao, N.R.C., "Medical students’ knowledge of the human papillomavirus (HPV), cervical cancer, and HPV vaccination", Rev. bras. educ. med., 45(3), 1-7, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1590/1981-5271v45.3-20210071.ING
- Biyazin, T., Yilma, A., Yetwale, A., Fenta, B., Dagnaw, Y., "Knowledge and attitude about human papillomavirus vaccine among female high school students at Jimma town, Ethiopia", Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics, 18, 1, 2036522, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1080/21645515.2022.2036522.
- Iflazoğlu, F., Aydoğdu, N.G., "Status of low income and non-low income women for taking pap smear in accordance with health promotion model and examination of affecting factors", Journal Of Public Health Nursing, 1(3), 132-146, 2019.
- Winarto, H., Habiburrahman, M., Dorothea, M., Wijaya, A., Nuryanto, K.H., Kusuma, F.,…&Anngraeni, T.D., "Knowledge, attitudes, and practices among Indonesian urban communities regarding HPV infection, cervical cancer, and HPV vaccination", PLoS ONE, 17(5), 1-29, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0266139.
- OECD iLibrary (2018). Screening, survival and mortality for cervical cancer. [Online]. Available from: https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/health_glance_eur-2018-41-en/index.html?itemId=/content/component/health_glance_eur-2018-41-en
- Özdemir, K., Şahin, S., Ünsal, A., "Investigation of the university female students' knowledge on the HPV (Sakarya, Turkey)", Androl Bul., 23, 97−104, 2021. https://doi.org/10.24898/tandro.2021.24540.
- Tunaman, G.S., Eryılmaz, N., Kösretaş, B., "The knowledge levels and health beliefs of vocational school of health services students about human papilloma virus (HPV) and vaccine", Journal of Inonu University Health Services Vocational School, 10(1), 180-198. 2022. https://doi.org/10.33715/inonusaglik.1053013
- Gölbaşı, Z., "A step for healthy youth and society: Sexual health education", Aile ve Toplum, 2(6), 1-8, 2003.
D. G. Pekdemir
ve R. Mamuk
"DETERMINATION OF UNIVERSITY STUDENTS’ HPV KNOWLEDGE LEVELS AND THE AFFECTING FACTORS: A SAMPLE OF NORTHERN CYPRUS",
100-113, Ağu. 2023, doi:10.33457/ijhsrp.1307796