Introduction: Today, it is still a difficult decision for surgeons to convert from laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC) to Open cholecystectomy (OC). Our aim in this study is to predict the possibility of conversion to OC before the operation by comparing the data of the patients who underwent LC. Methods: Patients were divided into two groups. The first group was the OC group and the second group was the LC group. The data of both groups were compared with various parameters. Results: The conversion rate from LC to OC was 7.2%. The rate of conversion in male patients was 12.8%, and the rate of conversion in female patients was 5.2%. The mean age of the group with OC (52.66±13.77) was statistically higher (p=0.019
1. Shaffer EA. Gallstone disease: epidemiology of gallbladder stone disease. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2006;20:981– 96.
2. Stinton LM, Myers RP, Shaffer EA. Epidemiology of Gallstones. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 2010;39:157–69.
3. Keus F, de Jong JA, Gooszen HG, van Laarhoven CJ. Laparoscopic versus open cholecystectomy for patients with symptomatic cholecystolithiasis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006:CD006231.
4. Coccolini F, Catena F, Pisano M, Gheza F, Fagiuoli S, Di Saverio S, et al. Open versus laparoscopic cholecystectomy in acute cholecystitis. Systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Surg 2015;18:196–204.
5. Zhao X, Li XY, Ji W. Laparoscopic versus open treatment of gallbladder cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Minim Access Surg 2018;14:185–91.
6. Gröne J, Kreis ME. Indications for conversion of laparoscopic to open cholecystectomy. [Article in German] MMW Fortschr Med 2018;160:53–6.
7. Ibrahim S, Hean TK, Ho LS, Ravintharan T, Chye TN, Chee CH. Risk factors for conversion to open surgery in patients undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomy. World J Surg 2006;30:1698–704.
8. Gouma DJ. Conversion from laparoscopic to open cholecystectomy. Br J Surg. 2006;93:905–6.
9. Zhang WJ, Li JM, Wu GZ, Luo KL, Dong ZT. Risk factors affecting conversion in patients undergoing laparoscopic cholecystectomy. ANZ J Surg 2008;78:973–6.
10. Avgerinos C, Kelgiorgi D, Touloumis Z, Baltatzi L, Dervenis C. One thousand laparoscopic cholecystectomies in a single surgical unit using the "critical view of safety" technique. J Gastrointest Surg 2009;13:498–503.
11. Ghnnam W, Malek J, Shebl E, Elbeshry T, Ibrahim A. Rate of conversion and complications of laparoscopic cholecystectomy in a tertiary care center in Saudi Arabia. Ann Saudi Med 2010;30:145–8.
12. Ercan M, Bostanci EB, Teke Z, Karaman K, Dalgic T, Ulas M, et al. Predictive factors for conversion to open surgery in patients undergoing elective laparoscopic cholecystectomy. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2010;20:427–34.
13. Gholipour C, Fakhree MB, Shalchi RA, Abbasi M. Prediction of conversion of laparoscopic cholecystectomy to open surgery with artificial neural networks. BMC Surg 2009;9:13.
14. Tayeb M, Raza SA, Khan MR, Azami R.Conversion from laparoscopic to open cholecystectomy: Multivariate analysis of preoperative risk factors. J Postgrad Med 2005;51:17–20.
15. Kaplan M, Yalçın HC, Salman B, Nutrisyon Grubu. The reasons and risk factors for conversion to open in laparoscopic cholecystectomy. The New of Medicine 2007;24:146–51.
16. Kumar S, Tiwary S, Agrawal N, Prasanna G, Khanna R, Khanna A. Predictive factors for difficult surgery in laparoscopic cholecystectomy for chronic cholecystitis. Inter J Surg 2008;6.
17. Domínguez LC, Rivera A, Bermúdez C, Herrera W. Analysis of factors for conversion of laparoscopic to open cholecystectomy: a prospective study of 703 patients with acute cholecystitis. Cir Esp 2011;89:300–6.
18. Genc V, Sulaimanov M, Cipe G, Basceken SI, Erverdi N, Gurel M, et al.What necessitates the conversion to open cholecystectomy? A retrospective analysis of 5164 consecutive laparoscopic operations. Clinics (Sao Paulo) 2011;66:417–20.
19. Lipman JM, Claridge JA, Haridas M, Martin MD, Yao DC, Grimes KL, et al. Preoperative findings predict conversion from laparoscopic to open cholecystectomy. Surgery 2007;142:556–63.
20. Lim KR, Ibrahim S, Tan NC, Lim SH, Tay KH. Risk factors for conversion to open surgery in patients with acute cholecystitis undergoing interval laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2007;36:631–5.
21. Tang B, Cuschieri A.Conversions during laparoscopic cholecystectomy: risk factors and effects on patient outcome. J Gastrointest Surg 2006;10:1081–91.
22. Low SW, Iyer SG, Chang SK, Mak KS, Lee VT, Madhavan K.Laparoscopic cholecystectomy for acute cholecystitis: safe implementation of successful strategies to reduce conversion rates. Surg Endosc 2009;23:2424–9.
23. Kaafarani HM, Smith TS, Neumayer L, Berger DH, Depalma RG, Itani KM. Trends, outcomes, and predictors of open and con-version to open cholecystectomy in Veterans Health Administration hospitals. Am J Surg 2010;200:32–40.
24. Philip Rothman J, Burcharth J, Pommergaard HC, Viereck S, Rosenberg J. Preoperative Risk Factors for Conversion of Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy to Open Surgery - A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies. Dig Surg 2016;33:414–23.
25. Hu ASY, Menon R, Gunnarsson R, de Costa A. Risk factors for conversion of laparoscopic cholecystectomy to open surgery - A systematic literature review of 30 studies. Am J Surg 2017;214:920–30.
26. Rashid T, Naheed A, Farooq U, Iqbal M, Barkat N. Conversion of laparoscopic cholecystectomy into open cholecystectomy: an experience in 300 cases. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 2016;28:116–9.
27. B Bouassida M, Chtourou MF, Charrada H, Zribi S, Hamzaoui L, Mighri MM, et al. The severity grading of acute cholecystitis following the Tokyo Guidelines is the most powerful predictive factor for conversion from laparoscopic cholecystectomy to open cholecystectomy. J Visc Surg 2017;154:239–43.
28. Utsumi M, Aoki H, Kunitomo T, Mushiake Y, Yasuhara I, Taniguchi F, et al. Preoperative Risk Factors for Conversion of Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy to Open Cholecystectomy and the Usefulness of the 2013 Tokyo Guidelines. Acta Med Okayama 2017;71:419–25.
29. Beksac K, Turhan N, Karaagaoglu E, Abbasoglu O. Risk Factors for Conversion of Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy to Open Surgery: A New Predictive Statistical Model. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A 2016;26:693–6.
30. Coffin SJ, Wrenn SM, Callas PW, Abu-Jaish W. Three decades later: investigating the rate of and risks for conversion from laparoscopic to open cholecystectomy. Surg Endosc 2018;32:923–9.
31. Al Masri S, Shaib Y, Edelbi M, Tamim H, Jamali F, Batley N, et al. Predicting Conversion from Laparoscopic to Open Cholecystectomy: A Single Institution Retrospective Study. World J Surg 2018;42:2373–82.