BACKGROUND/AIMS This study aimed to determine the attitudes and behaviors of nursing students towards caring nurse-patient interactions. MATERIAL and METHODS A total of 177 nursing students, who were enrolled at the undergraduate nursing program of Eastern Mediterranean University in Northern Cyprus in the spring semester of academic year 2018-2019, constituted the sample of this descriptive study. A “Personal Information Form” and “Caring Nurse-Patient Interactions Scale” were used for data collection. RESULTS Attitudes and behaviors of nursing students towards caring nurse-patient interactions were positive. Scores obtained regarding the importance aspect of caring nurse-patient interactions were significantly higher than the scores for the competence and realistic aspects. The competence scores of the participants who chose to study nursing because they loved the profession and the importance scores of the participants who had healthcare experience as patients were significantly higher than those of the participants without healthcare experience as patients CONCLUSION Our findings suggest that nursing students recognize the importance of caring nurse-patient interactions. However, many do not consider themselves as competent in those interactions and they do not necessarily believe that caring nurse-patient interactions are realistic.
1. Kılıç HF, Cevheroğlu S, Görgülü S. Determination of care dependency level of patients staying in medical and surgical clinics. DEUHFED 2017; 10(1): 22-8.
2. Temel M, Bilgiç Ş, Çelikkalp Ü. Effective factors in the career choice of nursing students. J Higher Edu Sci 2018; 8(3): 480-7. [CrossRef]
3. Bölükbaş N. Occupational selection of nursing students and the effecting factors. Ordu University Journal of Nursing Studies 2018; 1(1): 10-7.
4. Korkmaz M, Tuna Hİ. The nurse-patient communication in critical care units. International Refereed Academic Journal of Sports, Health and Medical Sciences 2014; 11(4): 14.
5. Özgürsoy Uran BN, Özer S, Yıldırım Y. An example of Watson’s theory of human caring model: Case of heart failure. Turk J Card Nur 2015; 6(11): 183-98. [CrossRef]
6. Erzincanlı S, Yüksel A. Analysis of attitudes and behaviors of nursing students towards care-focused nurse-patient interaction in terms of some variables. Journal of Anatolia Nursing and Health Sciences 2018; 21(1): 10-7.
7. Erbay Ö, Yıldırım Y, Fadıloğlu Ç, Aykar FŞ. use of watson’s theory of human caring in nursing care of patients with hypertensive attack: Case report. Turk J Cardiovasc Nurs 2018; 9(19): 82-8. [CrossRef]
8. Arslan-Özkan İ, Okumuş H. A model where caring and healing meets: Watson’s theory of human caring. Hemşirelikte Araştırma Geliştirme Dergisi 2012; 2: 61-72.
9. Arslan Özkan H, Bilgin Z. Nursing philosophical essence improvement and healing treatment methods. HSP 2016; 3(3): 191-200. [CrossRef]
10. Nwosu J, Vincent Inyama V, Emeka C. Effect of nurse-patient relationship on patients recovery at NKST hospital Mkar, Gboko, Benue State. Afr J Nurs Midwifery 2017; 5(2): 695-703.
11. Fortuno AF, Oco BD, Clores MA. Influential components of caring nurse-patient interaction (cnpi) in a tertiary hospital in the Philippines: Towards improving health outcomes of patients. Int J Nurs Sci 2017; 7(4): 84-90.
12. Bridges J, Griffiths P,Oliver E, Pickering RM. Hospital nurse staffing and staff– interactions: an observational study. BMJ Qual Saf 2019; 28(9): 706-13. [CrossRef]
13. Arli SK, Bakan AB, Öztürk S, Erisik E, Yıldırım Z. Critical thinking and caring in nursing students. Int J Caring Sci 2017;10 (1): 471-8.
14. Kaçmaz ED, Çam MO. Review of caring nurse-patient interaction for nurses caring for psychiatric patients. J Psychiatric Nurs 2019; 10(1): 65-74.
15. Bayraktar D, Eşer İ. Attitudes and Behaviors of Nurses Towards Caring Nurse-Patient Interaction. Journal of Anatolia Nursing and Health Sciences 2017; 20: 3: 188-94.
16. Yılmaz D, Gökdere Çinar H. Examination of attitudes of nursing department senior students towards caring nurse-patient interaction. JHS 2017; 14(4): 3300-9. [CrossRef]
17. Lotfi M, Zamanzadeh V, Valizadeh L, Khajehgoodari M. Assessment of nurse–patient communication and patient satisfaction from nursing care. Nursing Open 2019; 6(3): 1189-96. [CrossRef]
18. Türk G, Adana F, Erol F, Çevik RA, Taşkıran N. The reasons for choosing the career of the nursing students and their perceptions of care behaviours. Gumushane University Journal of Health Science 2018; 7(3): 1-10.
19. Erigüç G, Şener T, Eriş H. Evaluation of communication skills: A vocational high school students sample. Hacettepe Journal of Health Administration 2013;16(1): 45-65.
20. Cossette S, Caraa C, Ricarda N, Pepin J. Assessing nurse-patient interactions from a caring perspective: report of the development and preliminary psychometric testing of the caring nurse-patient Interactions scale. IJNS 2005; 42(6): 673-86. [CrossRef]
21. Atar NY, Aştı TA. Validity and Reliability of Turkish Version of the Caring Nurse-Patient Interaction Scale. FNJN 2012; 20(2): 129-39.
22. Zaybak A, İsmailoğlu EG, Efteli E. Attitudes and behaviors of nursing students towards caring nurse-patient interaction. Uluslararası Hakemli Hemşirelik Araştırmaları Dergisi 2014; 1(2): 24-34. [CrossRef]
23. Birimoğlu C, Ayaz S. Nursing students’ perceptions of caring behaviors. Journal of Hacettepe University Faculty of Nursing 2015; 40-8.
24. Özdelikara A, Ağaçdiken S, Aydın E. Career choices of nursing students and influencing factors. Acibadem University Health Sciences Journal 2016; (2):83-8.
25. Ter Beest H, van Bemmel M, Adriaansen M. Nursing student as patient: experiential learning in a hospital simulation to improve empathy of nursing students. Scand J Caring Sci 2018; 32(4): 1390-1397. [CrossRef]
26. Kalender N, Tosun N, Çınar Fİ, Bağçivan G, Yaşar Z. Assessing the attitudes and behaviors of nursing students according to Caring Nurse-Patient Interaction scale. Gülhane Medical Journal 2016; 58: 277-281. [CrossRef]