Objective: Chemotherapy-induced alopecia (CIA) is a common unwanted effect related to anti-neoplastic agents. Due to potential CIA, some patients with cancer consider refusing treatment. It negatively affects a patient’s perception of appearance and sexuality. This study aimed to determine the effectiveness of reflexology massage on hair regrowth after CIA. Methods: This randomised clinical trial was conducted in 60 women with cancer with full alopecia due to chemotherapy. They were divided randomly into two groups: the experimental and control groups. The patients in the experimental group received reflexology massage for 15 min, 3 times daily (per 8 h), for 3 months. Those in the control group only received treatment as usual and routine health care. Data were obtained from the patient information and hair measurement forms. Couliss Vernier was used for hair regrowth measurement. The minimum and maximum hair lengths were measured thrice monthly after intervention started in both groups. Results: Considering baseline full alopecia in both groups, hair regrowth in the experimental group significantly improved compared with the control group (p
Amaç: Kemoterapiye bağlı alopesi (KBA) anti-neoplastik ajanların yaygın olan yan etkisidir. Potansiyel KBA’nın etkisi o kadar derin ki, bazı kanserli hastalar tedaviyi reddediyorlar. KBA, hastanın görünüm algısı ve cinselliğini olumsuz etkiler. Bu çalışmanın amacı, refleksoloji masajının KBA sonrası saç uzaması üzerine etkisini belirlemekti. Yöntemler: Bu randomize klinik çalışma, KBA kanserli 60 kadın üzerinde gerçekleştirildi. Hastalar rastgele yöntemi ile iki gruba ayrıldılar; deney grubu ve kontrol grubu. Deney grubundaki örnekler, 3 ay boyunca her gün 15 dakika, günde 3 kez (8 saatte bir) refleksoloji masajı aldılar. Kontrol grubu, tedavilerini sadece rutin, sağlık hizmetlerini normal şekilde aldılar. Veriler hasta bilgi formundan ve saç ölçüm formundan elde edildi. Saç uzama ölçümü için Couliss Vernier kullanıldı. Müdahalenin başlamasından sonra her ay minimum ve maksimum saç uzunlukları her iki grupta 3 kez ölçüldü. Bulgular: Çalışmanın iki grubunda başlangıçtaki tam alopesi göz önüne alındığında, çalışmanın sonunda deney grubu kadınlarda saçların yeniden uzaması, kontrol grubuna göre anlamlı olarak artmıştır (p
1. Alonso MR, Anesini C. Clinical evidence of increase in hair growth and decrease in hair loss without adverse reactions promoted by the commercial lotion ECOHAIR. Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2017;30:46-54.
2. Skrok A, Bednarczuk T, Skwarek A, Popow M, Rudnicka L, Olszewska M. The effect of parathyroid hormones on hair follicle physiology: implications for treatment of chemotherapy-induced alopecia. Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2015;28:213-25.
3. Schaffrin-Nabe D, Schmitz I, Josten-Nabe A, von Hehn U, Voigtmann R. The influence of various parameters on the success of sensor-controlled scalp cooling in preventing chemotherapy-induced alopecia. Oncol Res Treat 2015;38:489-95.
4. Shin H, Jo SJ, Kim DH, Kwon O, Myung SK. Efficacy of interventions for prevention of chemotherapy-induced alopecia: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Cancer 2015;136:442-54.
5. Katikaneni R, Ponnapakkam T, Matsushita O, Sakon J, Gensure R. Treatment and prevention of chemotherapy-induced alopecia with PTH-CBD, a collagen-targeted parathyroid hormone analog, in a non-depilated mouse model. Anticancer Drugs 2014;25:30-8.
6. Koizumi T, Fukushima T, Gomi D, Kobayashi T, Sekiguchi N, Sakamoto A, et al. Alectinib-Induced Alopecia in a Patient with Anaplastic Lymphoma Kinase-Positive Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Case Rep Oncol 2016;9:212-5.
7. Trüeb RM. Chemotherapy-Induced Alopecia. Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery 2009;1:11-4.
8. Villasante AC, Herskovitz I, Mauro LM, Jimenez JJ. Chemotherapy- Induced Alopecia. J Clin Investigat Dermatol 2014;2:8.
9. Öztürka R, Sevil Ü, Sargin A, Yücebilgin MS. The effects of reflexology on anxiety and pain in patients after abdominal hysterectomy: A randomised controlled trial. Complement Ther Med 2018;36:107- 12.
10. Imani N, Shams SA. Radfar M, Ghavami H, Khalkhali HR. Effect of applying reflexology massage on nitroglycerin-induced migraine-type headache: A placebo-controlled clinical trial. Agri 2018;30:116-22.
11. Icke S, Genc R. Effect of Reflexology on Infantile Colic. J Altern Complement Med 2018;24:584-8.
12. Rooney D. Reflexology/Therapeutic Massage. Integr Cancer Ther 2006;5:53-5.
13. Shadan P, Haghighat S, Jarban M, Parsa Yekta Z, Agha Hosseini F. The effect of reflexology on quality of life of breast cancer patients during chemotherapy. Iranian Quarterly Journal of Breast Disease 2013;1:23-34.
14. Quattrin R, Zanini A, Buchini S, Turello D, Annunziata MA, Vidotti C, et al. Use of reflexology foot massage to reduce anxiety in hospitalized cancer patients in chemotherapy treatment: methodology and outcomes. J Nurs Manag 2006;14:96-105.
15. Wilkinson S, Lockhart K, Gambles M, Storey L. Reflexology for symptom relief in patients with cancer. Cancer Nurs 2008;315:354- 60.
16. Stephenson NL, Weinrich SP, Tavakoli AS. The effects of foot reflexology on anxiety and pain in patients with breast and lung cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 2000;27:67-72.
17. Stephenson N, Dalton JA, Carlson J. The effect of foot reflexology on pain in patients with metastatic cancer. Appl Nurs Res 2003;16:284- 6.
18. Wyatt G, Sikorskii A, Rahbar MH, Victorson D, You M. Healthrelated quality-of-life outcomes: a reflexology trial with patients with advanced-stage breast cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 2012;39:568-77.
19. Ketut N. Effect of foot massage on nausea, vomiting and retching in women with cervical cancer undergoing chemothrapy, in Bali, Indonesia. Nurse Media Journal of Nursing 2012;2:467-81.
20. Komen MMC, Smorenburg CH, van den Hurk CJG, Nortier JWR. Factors Influensing the effectiveness of scalp cooling in the prevention of chemotherapy-induced alopecia. Oncologist 2013;18:885-91.
21. http://www.shealthtips.com/exercise/nail-rubbing-exercise-effectivetechnique- for-hair-growth/ (Access date: 6/21/2019).
22. Ben-Horin I, Kahan P, Ryvo L, Inbar M, Lev-Ari S, Geva R. Acupuncture and Reflexology for Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy in Breast Cancer. Integr Cancer Ther 2017;16:258-62.
23. Kang D, Kim IR, Choi EK, Im YH, Park YH, Ahn JS, et al. Permanent Chemotherapy-Induced Alopecia in Patients with Breast Cancer: A 3-Year Prospective Cohort Study. Oncologist 2019;24:414-20.
24. Kim IR, Cho J, Choi EK, Kwon IG, Sung YH, Lee JE, et al. Perception, attitudes, preparedness and experience of chemotherapyinduced alopecia among breast cancer patients: A qualitative study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2012;13:1383-8.
25. Can G, Yildiz M, Özdemir EE. Supportive care for chemotherapy induced alopecia: challenges and solutions. Clinical Research in Infectious Diseases 2017;4:1048.