Objective: Chronic urticaria (CU), which is mostly idiopathic, may also be a sign of an allergic or systemic disease. A variety of diseases and allergens that accompany CU have been reported in various studies. The aim of this study was to investigate the factors that play a role in the etiology of CU. Materials and Methods: The demographic and clinical data from 302 patients – aged over 18 years - who were being monitored for CU were recorded. Several tests were performed to analyze comorbidities such as infection, malignancy, and autoimmune and rheumatic diseases. Skin Prick Test (SPT) results and questionnaires were reviewed. Results: Two hundred and thirteen out of the 302 patients with a mean age of 40.26±14.3 years were females. The duration of CU was 43.30±62.60 months and 42.9% of the patients had comorbidities. The most common disease was autoimmune thyroiditis (13.9%). Fifty-five percent of the patients were sensitive to inhalant allergens, and 5% exhibited allergen positivity for food. The most common allergens were house (43.7%) dust mites. Allergen positivity was 37.2% in those with comorbidities, while it was 62.8% in those without any comorbidities and this relationship was statistically significant (p
1. Zuberbier T, Aberer W, Asero R, Abdul Latiff AH, Baker D, Ballmer-Weber B, et al. The EAACI/GA²LEN/EDF/WAO guideline for the definition, classification, diagnosis and management of urticaria. Allergy 2018;73(7):1393-414.
2. Kaplan AP, Greaves M. Pathogenesis of chronic urticaria. Clin Exp Allergy 2009;39(6):777-87.
3. Bernstein JA, Lang DM, Khan DA, Craig T, Dreyfus D, Hsieh F, et al. The diagnosis and management of acute and chronic urticaria: 2014 update. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2014;133(5):1270-7.
4. Fonacier LS, Dreskin SC, Leung DY. Allergic skin diseases. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010;125:(2):138-49.
5. Sanches J, Zakzuk J, Cardona R. Evaluation of a guidelines-based approach to the treatment of chronic spontanous urticaria. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2018;6(1): 177-182.e1.
6. Poonawalla T, Kelly B. Urticaria: A review. Am J Clin Dermatol 2009;10:9-21.
7. Maurer M, Ortonne JP, Zuberbier T. Chronic urticaria: A patient survey on quality of life, treatment usage and doctor patient relation. Allergy 2009;64(4):581-8.
8. Yosipovitch G, Greaves M. Chronic idiopathic urticaria: A “Cinderella’’ disease with a negative impact on a quality of life and health care costs. Arch Dermatol 2008;144(1):102-3.
9. Brodell LA, Beck LA. Differential diagnosis of chronic urticaria. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2008;100(3):181-8.
10. Toubi E, Kessel A, Avshovich N, Bamberger E, Sabo E, Nusem D, Panasoff J. Clinical and laboratory parameters in predicting chronic urticaria duration: A prospective study of 139 patients. Allergy 2004;59:869-73.
11. Vonakis BM, Saini SS. New concepts in chronic urticaria. Curr Opin Immunol 2008;20(6):709-16.
12. Greaves MW, Tan KT. Chronic urticaria: Recent advances. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2007;33:134-43.
13. Cebeci F, Tanrıkut A, Topcu E, Onsun N, Kurtulmus N, Uras AR. Association between chronic urticaria and thyroid autoimmunity. Eur J Dermatol 2006;16:402-5.
14. George M, Balachandran C, Prabhu S. Chronic idiopathic urticaria: Comparison of clinical feature with positive autologus serum skin test. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2008;74:105- 8.
15. Zauli D, Grassi A, Ballardini G, Contestabile S, Zucchini S, Bianchi FB. Thyroid autoimmunity in chronic idiopathic urticaria. Am J Clin Dermatol 2002;3:525-8.
16. Dreskin SC, Andrews KY. The thyroid and urticaria. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2005;5:408-12.
17. Asero R, Tedeschi A, Riboldi P, Griffini S, Bonanni E, Cugno M. Coagulation cascade and fibrinolysis in patients with multiple-drug allergy syndrome. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2008;100:44-8.
18. Grattan CE. Asprin sensitivity and urticaria. Clin Exp Dermatol 2003;28:123-7.
19. Mathelier-Fusade P. Drug-induced urticarias. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2006;30(1):19-23.
20. Rutnin NO, Kulthanan K, Tuchinda P, Jongjarearprasert K. Drug induced urticaria: Causes and clinical courses. J Drugs Dermatol 2011;10(9):1019-24.
21. Giacometti A, Cirioni O, Antonicelli L, D’Amato G, Silvestri C, Del Prete MS, et al. Prevalence of intestinal parasites among individuals with allergic skin diseases. J Parasitol 2003;89:490-2.
22. Demirci M, Yildirim M, Aridogan BC, Baysal V, Korkmaz M. Tissue parasites in patients with chronic urticaria. J Dermatol 2003;30:777-81.
23. Kulthanan K, Jiamton S, Thumpimukvatana N, Pınkaev S. Chronic idiopathic urticaria: Prevalence and clinical course. J Dermatol 2007;34:294-301.
24. Wedi B, Raap U, Kapp A. Chronic urticaria and infections. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2004;4:387-96.
25. Cribier B, Noacco G. Chronic urticaria and infectious diseases. Ann Dermatol Venereol 2003;130:1S43-52.
26. Moreira A, Rodrigues J, Delgado L, Fonseca J, Vaz M. Is Helicobacter pylori infection associated with chronic idiopathic urticaria? Allergol Immunopathol (Madr) 2003;31:209-14.
27. Mete N, Gulbahar O, Aydin A, Sin AZ, Kokuludağ A, Sebik F. Low B12 levels in chronic idiopathic urticaria. J Invest Allergol Clin Immunol 2004;14(4):292-9.
28. Kaptan K, Beyan C, Ural AU, Cetin T, Avcu F, Gülşen M, et al. Helicobacter pylori-is it a novel causative agent in vitamin B12 deficiency? Arch Intern Med 2000;160:1349-53.
29. Buss YA, Garrelfs UC, Sticherling M. Chronic urticaria which clinical parameters are pathogenetically relevant? A retrospective investigation of patients. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges 2007;5:22-9.
30. Kulthanan K, Jiamton S, Rutnin NO, Inswang M, Pınkaev S. Prevalence and relevance of the positivity of skin prick testing in patients with chronic urticaria. J Dermatol 2008;35:330-5.
31. Uppal M, Srinivas CR. Wheat induced Urticaria. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2004;70:298-9.
32. Calıskaner Z, Ozturk S, Turan M, Karaayvaz M. Skin test positivity to aeroallergens in the patients with chronic urticaria without allergic respiratory disease. J Invest Allergol Clin Immunol 2004;14(1):50-4.
33. Mahesh PA, Kushalappa PA, Holla AD, Vedanthan PK. House dust mite sensitivity is a factor in chronic urticaria. Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 2005;71:99-101.
34. Wakelin SH. Contact urticaria. Clin Exp Dermatol 2001;26:132- 6.
35. Arlian LG, Platts-Mills TA. The biology of dust mites and the remediation of mite allergens in allergic disease. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2001;107(3):406-13.
36. Magerl M, Pisarevskaja D, Scheufele R, Zuberbier T, Maurer M. Effects of a pseudoallergen-free diet on chronic spontaneous urticaria: A prospective trial. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 2010;10(4):225-6.
37. Rona RJ, Keil T, Summers C, Gislason D, Zuidmeer L, Sodergren E, et al. The prevalence of food allergy: A meta-analysis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2007;120(3):638-46.
38. Di Lorenzo G, Pacor ML, Mansueto P, Martinelli N, Esposito- Pellitteri M, Lo Bianco C, et al: Food-additive-induced urticaria: A survey of 838 patients with recurrent chronic idiopathic urticaria. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2005;138:235-42.
39. Genius SJ. Sensivity-related illness: The escalating pandemic of allergy, food intolerance and chemical sensitivity. Sci Total Environ 2010;408(24):6047-61.
40. Scott H, Sicherer MD, Donald Y, Leung M. Advances in allergic skin disease, anaphylaxis, and hypersensitivity reactions to foods, drugs, and insects in 2010. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011;127(2): 326-34.
41. Scichilone N, Callari A, Augugliaro G, Marchese M, Togies A, Bellia V. The impact of age on prevalence of positive skin prick tests and specific IgE tests. Respir Med 2011;105(5):651-8.
42. Jones N. Allergic rhinitis: Etiology, predisposing and risk factors. Rhinology 2004;42:49-56.
43. Von Mutius E. The rising trends in asthma and allergic disease. Clin Exp Allergy 1998;28:45-9.
44. Strachan DP. Hay fever, hygiene, and household size. BMJ 1989;18:1259-60.