Systemic Mastocytosis (SM) is one of the subtypes of mast cell disorders. Patients with SM suffer from flushing, abdominal cramps and hypotension. It may also cause unexplained and recurrent anaphylactic episodes sometimes. The secretion of mediators can be triggered by various factors. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are extensively used for their analgesic, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory properties, and they are one of the most commonly prescribed drugs in the world. On the other hand, they may cause a group of adverse reactions, ranging from mild reactions like gastritis to life-threatening allergic reactions like anaphylaxis. In this paper, we report a patient who had multiple severe adverse reactions against NSAIDs and was referred to our clinic to find a safe alternative NSAID. She was eventually diagnosed with Indolent SM (ISM) when she was evaluated with all of her systemic complaints and symptoms.
1. Akin C. Anaphylaxis and mast cell disease: What is the risk? Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 2010;10(1):34-8.
2. Valent P, Akin C, Arock M, et al. Definitions, criteria and global classification of mast cell disorders with special reference to mast cell activation syndromes: A consensus proposal. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2012;157(3):215-25.
3. Bonadonna P, Perbellini O, Passalacqua G, et al. Clonal mast cell disorders in patients with systemic reactions to Hymenoptera stings and increased serum tryptase levels. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009;123(3):680-6.
4. Bonadonna P, Lombardo C, Zanotti R. Mastocytosis and allergic diseases. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2014;24(5):288-97; quiz 283 p preceding 297.
5. Wongrakpanich S, Wongrakpanich A, Melhado K, Rangaswami J. A comprehensive review of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug use in the elderly. Aging Dis 2018;9(1):143-50.
6. Jiang HK, Chang DM. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs with adverse psychiatric reactions: Five case reports. Clin Rheumatol 1999;18(4):339-45.
7. Kowalski ML, Makowska JS, Blanca M, Bavbek S, Bochenek G, Bousquet J, et al. Hypersensitivity to nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) - classification, diagnosis and management: Review of the EAACI/ENDA(#) and GA2LEN/ HANNA*. Allergy 2011;66(7):818-29.
8. Brockow K, Jofer C, Behrendt H, Ring J. Anaphylaxis in patients with mastocytosis: A study on history, clinical features and risk factors in 120 patients. Allergy 2008;63(2):226-32.
9. Alvarez-Twose I, Zanotti R, Gonzalez-de-Olano D, Bonadonna P, Vega A, Matito A, et al. Nonaggressive systemic mastocytosis (SM) without skin lesions associated with insect-induced anaphylaxis shows unique features versus other indolent SM. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2014;133(2):520-8.
10. Matito A, Alvarez-Twose I, Morgado JM, Sanchez-Munoz L, Orfao A, Escribano L. Anaphylaxis as a clinical manifestation of clonal mast cell disorders. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 2014;14(8):450.