Being one of the conditions presenting with patellar pain, Hoffas syndrome is characterized with inflammation of the fat tissue in the patellar region. In advanced stage, this may lead to transformation of the fibrocartilage tissue and ossification of the infrapatellar fat pad. Some cases can be associated with tumors or tumor-like conditions. In this article, we describe a 72-year-old female case suffering from knee pain for a long time and discuss the end-stage Hoffa's disease and function of the infrapatellar fat pad in the light of literature.
1. Hoffa A.The influence of the adipose tissue with regard to the pathology of the knee joint. JAMA 1904;43: 7956.
2. Singh VK, Shah G, Singh PK, Saran D. Extraskeletal ossifying chondroma in Hoffas fat pad: an unusual cause of anterior knee pain. Singapore Med J 2009;50:e18992.
3. Bohnsack M, Wilharm A, Hurschler C, Rühmann O, Stukenborg-Colsman C, Wirth CJ. Biomechanical and kinematic influences of a total infrapatellar fat pad resection on the knee. Am J Sports Med 2004;32:187380.
4. Wickham MQ, Erickson GR, Gimble JM, Vail TP, Guilak F. Multipotent stromal cells derived from the infrapatellar fat pad of the knee. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2003;196212.
5. Ogilvie-Harris DJ, Giddens J. Hoffas disease: arthroscopic resection of the infrapatellar fat pad. Arthroscopy 1994;10:1847.
6. Magi M, Branca A, Bucca C, Langerame V. Hoffa disease. Ital J Orthop Traumatol 1991;17:2116.
7. Metheny JA, Mayor MB. Hoffa disease:chronic impingement of the infrapatellar fat pad. Am J Knee Surg 1988;1:134139.
8. Maurel B, Le Corroller T, Cohen M, Acid S, Bierry G, Parratte S, et al. Infrapatellar fat pad: anterior crossroads of the knee. J Radiol 2010;91:84155. [Abstract]
9. Turhan E, Doral MN, Atay AO, Demirel M. A giant extrasynovial osteochondroma in the infrapatellar fat pad: end stage Hoffas disease. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2008;128:5159.
10. Jacobson JA, Lenchik L, Ruhoy MK, Schweitzer ME, Resnick D. MR imaging of the infrapatellar fat pad of Hoffa. Radiographics 1997;17:67591.
11. Ushiyama T, Chano T, Inoue K, Matsusue Y. Cytokine production in the infrapatellar fat pad: another source of cytokines in knee synovial fluids. Ann Rheum Dis 2003;62:10812.
12. Ghate SD, Deokar BN, Samant AV, Kale SP. Tumor like swellings arising from Hoffas fat pad: A report of three patients. Indian J Orthop 2012;46:3648.