Objective: Anatomic volar rim locking plates are designed with the aim of treating intraarticular distal radius fractures. When used to treat comminuted distal radius fractures, these plates can damage the flexor tendons. In this study, we sought to determine the radiological and functional results and rate of complications of these plates. Methods: We retrospectively reviewed the records of 36 patients (28 males, 8 females; mean age: 46.4 years) with AO/OTA Type C2-C3 distal radius fractures treated with anatomic volar rim distal radius plates between January 2011 and December 2014. Radial length, radial inclination and palmar tilt were compared with the intact wrist. Results were evaluated with the Mayo wrist and Lidstrom scores. Complications were documented throughout the follow-up period of 23.8 (range: 12 to 48) months. Results: Postoperative measurements of the radial length, inclination and palmar tilt did not differ significantly. Mayo wrist and Lidstrom scores were good and excellent in 27 and 32 patients, respectively. Flexor tenosynovitis was symptomatic in 15 patients and asymptomatic (localized swelling only) in 21. Plates were removed from 15 patients due to symptomatic tenosynovitis and from six patients due to partial rupture of the flexor pollicis longus tendon. The flexor digitorum profundus tendon of the second finger was also partially ruptured in three patients. Conclusion: Anatomic volar rim locking plates provide satisfying radiological and functional results in treating AO/OTA Type C2-C3 comminuted distal radius fractures. However, if these plates interfere with the union of the fracture, they should be removed to avoid potential tendon problems caused by their placement in the rim region. Level of Evidence: Level IV, Therapeutic study
1. Cooney 3rd WP, Linscheid RL, Dobyns JH. External pin fixation for unstable Colles' fractures. J Bone Jt Surg Am. 1979;61:840e845.
2. Chin KR, Jupiter JB. Wire-loop fixation of volar displaced osteochondral fractures of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am. 1999;24:525e533.
3. Bakker AJ, Shin AY. Fragment-specific volar hook plate for volar marginal rim fractures. Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 2014;18:56e60.
4. Asadollahi S, Keith PP. Flexor tendon injuries following plate fixation of distal radius fractures: a systematic review of the literature. J Orthop Traumatol. 2013;14:227e234.
5. Drobetz H, Kutscha-Lissberg E. Osteosynthesis of distal radial fractures with a volar locking screw plate system. Int Orthop. 2003;27:1e6.
6. Casaletto JA, Machin D, Leung R, Brown DJ. Flexor pollicis longus tendon ruptures after palmar plate fixation of fractures of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2009;34:471e474.
7. Jupiter JB, Marent-Huber M, Group LCPS. Operative management of distal radial fractures with 2.4-millimeter locking plates: a multicenter prospective case series. Surg Tech J Bone Jt Surg Am. 2010;92(Suppl 1 Pt 1):96e106.
8. Suganuma S, Tada K, Tsuchiya H. Reducing the risk of flexor pollicis longus tendon rupture after volar plate fixation for distal radius fractures: validation of the tendon irritation test. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2014;24: 1425e1429.
9. Arora R, Lutz M, Hennerbichler A, Krappinger D, Espen D, Gabl M. Complications following internal fixation of unstable distal radius fracture with a palmar locking-plate. J Orthop Trauma. 2007;21:316e322.
10. Konstantinidis L, Helwig P, Strohm PC, Hirschmuller A, Kron P, Sudkamp NP. Clinical and radiological outcomes after stabilisation of complex intra-articular fractures of the distal radius with the volar 2.4 mm LCP. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2010;130:751e757.
11. Marsh JL, Slongo TF, Agel J, et al. Fracture and dislocation classification compendium e 2007: orthopaedic Trauma Association classification, database and outcomes committee. J Orthop Trauma. 2007;21:S1eS133.
12. Osada D, Kamei S, Masuzaki K, Takai M, Kameda M, Tamai K. Prospective study of distal radius fractures treated with a volar locking plate system. J Hand Surg Am. 2008;33:691e700.
13. http://synthes.vo.llnwd.net/o16/LLNWMB8/US Mobile/Synthes North America/ Product Support Materials/Technique Guides/SUTG2.4VALCPVolar RimDRPJ10270C.pdf.
14. Amadio PC, Berquist TH, Smith DK, Ilstrup DM, Cooney 3rd WP, Linscheid RL. Scaphoid malunion. J Hand Surg Am. 1989;14:679e687.
15. Sarmiento A, Pratt GW, Berry NC, Sinclair WF. Colles' fractures. Functional bracing in supination. J Bone Jt Surg Am. 1975;57:311e317.
16. Tada K, Ikeda K, Shigemoto K, Suganuma S, Tsuchiya H. Prevention of flexor pollicis longus tendon rupture after volar plate fixation of distal radius fractures. Hand Surg. 2011;16:271e275.
17. McGeorge DD, Stilwell JH. Partial flexor tendon injuries: to repair or not. J Hand Surg Br. 1992;17:176e177.
18. Fok MW, Klausmeyer MA, Fernandez DL, Orbay JL, Bergada AL. Volar plate fixation of intra-articular distal radius fractures: a retrospective study. J Wrist Surg. 2013;2:247e254.
19. Martineau PA, Berry GK, Harvey EJ. Plating for distal radius fractures. Hand Clin. 2010;26:61e69.
20. Gasse N, Lepage D, Pem R, et al. Anatomical and radiological study applied to distal radius surgery. Surg Radiol Anat. 2011;33:485e490.
21. Obert L, Loisel F, Huard S, Rochet S, Lepage D, Leclerc G, Garbuio P. Plate fixation of distal radius fracture and related complications. Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2015 Apr;25(3):457e464. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00590-014- 1550-9. PubMed PMID: 25274206.
22. Sugun TS, Gurbuz Y, Ozaksar K, Toros T, Kayalar M, Bal E. Results of volar locking plating for unstable distal radius fractures. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2012;46:22e25.
23. Kara A, Celik H, Bankaoglu M, Oc Y, Bulbul M, Sugun TS. Ultrasonic evaluation of the flexor pollicis longus tendon following volar plate fixation for distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg Am. 2016;41:374e380.
24. Drobetz H, Bryant AL, Pokorny T, Spitaler R, Leixnering M, Jupiter JB. Volar fixed-angle plating of distal radius extension fractures: influence of plate position on secondary loss of reductionea biomechanic study in a cadaveric model. J Hand Surg Am. 2006;31:615e622.
25. Harness NG, Jupiter JB, Orbay JL, Raskin KB, Fernandez DL. Loss of fixation of the volar lunate facet fragment in fractures of the distal part of the radius. J Bone Jt Surg Am. 2004;86-a:1900e1908.
26. Marcano A, Taormina DP, Karia R, Paksima N, Posner M, Egol KA. Displaced intra-articular fractures involving the volar rim of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am. 2015;40:42e48.