Makale özeti ve diğer detaylar.
In Manisa, around 1870, the “old” Mevlevihane located on the lonely hill in Yukarı Tabakhane District was abandoned and a “new”, second Mevlevihane was built in the the centre of the city in the Adakale District next to the Ali Bey Mosque courtyard, on the plot located between Dönertas and Çırpıcı Streets. This Mevlevihane continued to function as a major centre of the Mevlevî Order until the closing of all the “tekkes” (dervish lodges) in Turkey in 1925. It was the training centre of nearly all the last makam Chelebis just before they went on to become leader of the order at the mother tekke, the Mevlana Dergâh in Konya. Although this second Manisa Mevlevihane played such an important role in the history of the order, very little is really known about it – its physical appearance (architecture) or functioning - because no research or documentation was made before its final remains were destroyed and its land turned into a park in 1995.
This paper’s author, a researcher of the architecture of the mevlevihanes, had the rare opportunity of visiting the site four times between August 1987 and December 1995, and interviewing a major living source, Kesfî Karadanısman, a researcher and retired head secretary of Manisa’s Directorate of Waqfs in 1987, before he died. He actually walked her through the property describing the demolished buildings in the complex as she drew its plan and took notes. In this paper the author presents her research findings with drawings and photos.